Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,936 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think I'll need to either get 1 decimal place of accuracy for the energy onboarded or to take a large amount of kWh on board some night to reduce the impact of rounding errors. Does the in-car screen show a higher level of granularity? The Wall Connector 3 comes with a 7m cable so losses there will be slightly higher than a 5m cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

0.5kw is what, 4c on an overnight charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭usernameunknown

What’s the story with auto wipers? They are completely unusable at the min. Every single time I try select auto they turn on automatically and go 90 and won’t stop. I have them disabled for now but when I first got the car I thought they worked really really well. Could the sun were having be throwing the cameras off? Really annoying not being able to use them as my other car works perfect 99% of the time.

I find that washing the midge carcasses off the windscreen in front of the cameras helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

So, last night I came home from work and plugged in the car to charge as usual overnight. No matter what I tried, it wouldn't start. Boost, manual charge etc wouldn't work. The car was saying that the charger wasn't recognised. Now it was working fine all day, putting free solar power into the wife's car and the app showed no problems. After 4 or 5 tries, I gave up and said I'd try again this morning.

Lo, and behold, I go out to try it this morning, I check the pins on the connection and then I look into the charge port of the car, and there's only the remains of a spider,and silk wound around the right centre pin.

Removed the offending articles from the port and charger starts right away.

Just something for you to look out for if the car doesn't recognise the charger. Phew!! I thought the Zappi was goosed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 PGTips 25

Anyone got a recommendation for automating the frunk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭lau1247

Any idea what is the most optimal/efficient charging rate? If it makes any difference at all between say 2kw and 7.5kw?

I'm asking because I have a small Solar set up that came with the house (producing about 0.5-0.8kw currently - I do plan to upgrade the capacity in the near future). I was thinking since the Zappi only charge from 1.4kw or more, I could charge at around 1.6kw by adjusting the current from the app. This would give me maximise solar charging (albeit extremely slow which I'm fine with) so I don't sell to grid at lower price and buy back at higher price.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Your house base load will suck up 2-300w s ok wouldn’t leave enough for zappi to use excess.

If your home anyway I’d reduce the charge to 10a through the Tesla app and let it trickle away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭lau1247

The base load is already taken care of (fridge, lights, tv, etc), so the 0.5-0.8kw is excess going back to grid otherwise.

Yeah I think I better let it trickle charge whenever it is producing excess at the moment at 1.6kw (0.5-0.8 kw from that is free)

I was more concerned about loss to heat and whether the lost is proportional (I suspect not proportional) irrespective of input rate into the car.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭JOL1

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Messing with after market electrics like that could impact your warranty

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

You can add gas struts to the frunk so it opens when you unlock it. Closing is still manual. Doesn't mess with the electrics which is a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭eamondunphy

Did you get this working?

I don't have option to set temperature in the app either

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭JOL1

There appears to be some k own issues with this (being able to adjust the temp that it activates). See below. Not a big deal in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Not specifically a Model Y question. But when I collected the Y originally it has really black tyre walls.

Ive used a few products including turtle wax tyre blacker but never can get a result like the original

Any product reccomendations?

1. Throw the turtle wax in the bin.
    2. Get a bottle of ADBL Tyre and rubber cleaner. Use it on your next wash with a tyre /wheel bristle brush.
    3. Once finished and the car is dry, spot the dressing of choice. I’m currently in between Autoglym tyre dressing, Maguire’s and Reflect, depending on the car.

Undiluted washing up liquid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

I have an unwanted set of 19” Turbine style hubcaps for a Model Y if anyone wants to skip the 2 month wait for delivery. Tried them on the car but I prefer the silver originals, so brand new in gunmetal grey. Collection only as its a big box to post, south Dublin.

The price and shipping costs seems to fluctuate daily around €190 but they cost me €174 so happy to sell them for that, and you can have them tomorrow. Left and right mirrored so both sides look the same.

These ones here:

PM me if interested.

Can I ask what you thoughts are regarding quality? I actually like the Gemini covers but have considered that cover you have but just unsure if Ali express quality would be worth the hassle..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭quenching

They're excellent quality, just as good if not better than the Tesla covers. Extremely well packaged in bubblewrap, foam, and a sturdy box. Came with rim tape and Tesla centre caps as well. They also cover the alloy wheel rim a bit so help prevent damage to the wheel. But I prefer the silver alloys. I'd have no hesitation in buying from that seller on AliExpress again, they just take an age to arrive.

I'm sure they all come from China anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Did anyone hear anything about when the MY will start shipping from Shanghai with HW4?

Everything on the net I can find is USA based. I likely will have to cancel my current order and go again next quarter so wondering if it's worth waiting a bit longer.

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭September1

If you put it on hold would you not get locked in with current price and then you can just wait and see when they will be available?

Also HW4 is pretty much meaningless for us - definitely not worth not having a car for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Would you not end up with functional park assist if you waited?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I'm hoping there will be less phantom braking due to the improved front cameras

I've been surprised how much phantom braking I've experienced given how rare some on here were saying it was for them.

I'd sometimes get it 3 or 4 different times on a 350km trip. More likely to happen when it's sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

How intense would you say the phantom braking is? I occasionally do similar trips. This would put a sour taste in my mouth after paying so much since I never have a problem with my current car's ACC or Lane keep assist.

I have a love/hate relationship with Tesla due to autopilot. I'm hoping things will improve by the time I will buy in a couple years

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ModelWhy

Well, yes and no. Yes you are right in terms of FSD as it is today, but they are rolling out the beta in EU soon I believe.

Personally I wouldn't pay for FSD but I'm thinking resale. In 5 years time say, it'll be worth more than the hw3 ones and easier to sell. Since we are seemingly at the cusp of the HW transition period, why not wait a bit longer?

Buying a Tesla? -> Get €500 off your order by using my Referral Link - Please DM me for the link.

For me personally, I have never experienced this phantom braking but I do have a 2020 model.

• Advertisement

On what are you basing this though - just a 'later must be better' principle?

Advertisement