Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Amazed that they squeezed a third row of seats in there. I wonder will they offer a 6-seater option like the Model X? That's the ideal configuration, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Amazed that they squeezed a third row of seats in there. I wonder will they offer a 6-seater option like the Model X? That's the ideal configuration, I think.

By the looks of the back seats you will be looking at small kids at a max

Great they got them into the car....it would be perfect now, only problem is kids have a nasty habit of growing so by the time this comes around I would guess sticking them in will be unworkable

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How many kids do you have and how big are they? We're a family of 5 but it would be handy for us to occasionally bring the mother-in-law and / or other other kids with us, mainly for short-ish distances. The 2 extra seats would be useful for that. They look suitable even for adults, as long as they are well below 6 feet (1.8m).The seats look a lot more useful than the ones in the 7 seat option in Model S

2016-tesla-model-x-5_800x0w.jpg

I'd say the interior will be similar in size, perhaps a bit bigger than a Nissan Qashqai 7 seater

unkel wrote: »
    How many kids do you have and how big are they? We're a family of 5 but it would be handy for us to occasionally bring the mother-in-law and / or other other kids with us, mainly for short-ish distances. The 2 extra seats would be useful for that. They look suitable even for adults, as long as they are well below 6 feet (1.8m).The seats look a lot more useful than the ones in the 7 seat option in Model S

I'd say the interior will be similar in size, perhaps a bit bigger than a Nissan Qashqai 7 seater

That image makes it look a bit better.....current 3 squirts at the moment.....but 7 seats a must with friends and family......

Sorry I don't mean to slag off the car....when I seen it I was really excited...literally at 4 last night I would have stuck on deposit.....then its 2021 and just a little peeved at this stage with cars getting announced and then they are f**king years away from releasing.....

Not just saying it is Tesla either....really the Y should be up against the Buzz but it isnt coming til 2022....just sick of driving the transit

Yeah and spring 2021 in the US for the base model realistically means a 221 reg here. As you say, a good bit more competition coming by then, which is a good thing. Had this car been available for immediate delivery here, I would have ordered one today.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,262 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So now we have a model S, 3, X and Y.

S3XY.......was this deliberate? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The issue with the third row of seats is generally there is little to no leg room in the back row. This looks the case here

The Qashqai is a very poor 7 seater that doesn’t fit three kids seats. SUV’s tend to have big wheel arches which reduces the internal size. Touran, C4, grand Picasso etc are much better it carrying people

In built pop up booster seats would really give it as advantage. I’ve seen them in a few Alhsmbras, volvos and seats

Mickeroo wrote: »
    So now we have a model S, 3, X and Y.

S3XY.......was this deliberate? :pac:

Of course it was. Musk tried to register "Model E" as a trademark a few years ago, but got blocked ;)
    ted1 wrote: »
    The issue with the third row of seats is generally there is little to no leg room in the back row. This looks the case here

The Qashqai is a very poor 7 seater that doesn’t fit three kids seats. SUV’s tend to have big wheel arches which reduces the internal size. Touran, C4, grand Picasso etc are much better it carrying people

All good points, if you have a family of 7 and you travel a lot over long distances, you need a full size 7 seater. This 7 seat option car and others are perfect for people like me who only occasionally need to transport more than 5 people. The tiny rear facing seats in the 7-seat Model S would even do me. I don't think the leg room in the back row is a major issue, BTW. There are only 2 seats and there is width. Just don't sit with your knees touching each other and you'll be grand.

Yeah and spring 2021 in the US for the base model realistically means a 221 reg here. As you say, a good bit more competition coming by then, which is a good thing. Had this car been available for immediate delivery here, I would have ordered one today.

I was driving around in BMW 5 Series yesterday :p that could be my new car today....have been the Model Y if I could buy it....hell I would buy the Model 3 if it was available either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

There will be no 6-seater option. Only 5 or 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

A few interesting photos floating around:

Looks great in red IMO.
    modely-5-png.386522

Size comparison of Model 3 and Model Y.
    upload_2019-3-15_4-2-28-png.386597

7 seat layout
    yinterior-jpg.386552

Seats folded down
    original.optimized-6.jpg?resize=800,450

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Of course it was. Musk tried to register "Model E" as a trademark a few years ago, but got blocked ;)

Good old Ford stuck their oar in as they had model E's in the 60's and planned (and now will) to launch their EV's as Model E's.

Aside, I likey likey the space of a 5 seater config but perhaps like many am realistically thinking when will the hit the used market, just seems so far away from today

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

The standard range Model Y has similar range, performance and space as the Jag Ipace, Audi Etron, Merc EQC but comes in at around half the price starting at $39,000. Obviously the other three will have better build quality and interiors but how much interior quality does $40,000 extra buy! As for the long range and performance Model Y, it blows the other three out of the water on range and acceleration for $57,000. The Model Y has a 7 seat option too which the others don't as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

The standard range Model Y has similar range, performance and space as the Jag Ipace, Audi Etron, Merc EQC but comes in at around half the price starting at $39,000. Obviously the other three will have better build quality and interiors but how much interior quality does $40,000 extra buy! As for the long range and performance Model Y, it blows the other three out of the water on range and acceleration for $57,000. The Model Y has a 7 seat option too which the others don't as far as I know.

Great value alright

It's just so bland, not ugly, but boring.

Tesla badly need a new designer, even the new Roadster looks plain.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Great value alright

Is Tesla falling into the cookie cutter styling trap in that it will be hard to visually differentiate between a model X and Y, thereby devaluing the more expensive X in the eyes of potential buyers?

Great value alright

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but ultimately I suggest the plain/bland/boring look is due to an efficient drag mindset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I think the Model Y needs to look more like an SUV to appeal to the fashion conscious buyer.
    The fundamentals of the Y are spot on but some buyers dont see beyond the looks.
    Obviously aerodynamics and safety were the prime directive for the design brief.
    Having said that I think it is a great product and will probably outsell all other Tesla models combined.
    Well done Tesla.

pdpmur wrote: »
    Is Tesla falling into the cookie cutter styling trap in that it will be hard to visually differentiate between a model X and Y, thereby devaluing the more expensive X in the eyes of potential buyers?

Thats true too

People buying the Model S/X over 3/Y have more money than sense

You can get a performance 3/Y cheaper than base into those models

They need to upgrade/refresh them soon

macnab wrote: »
    I think the Model Y needs to look more like an SUV to appeal to the fashion conscious buyer.

What appeals to me is that it doesn't look like an SUV :D

I have to say the Model X is growing on me too in recent months.

Not me...:(

D1rDIeTWwAAhB6Y.jpg

• Advertisement

Great value alright

I wouldn't complain to be honest if they started to make the Y model straight away and selling it....

It make sense to me, take the Model 3, make it a little higher and sell it as a Crossover so they can get to market quickers....

The problem is they announce it and then say it will be 2021 before it will start selling. So why bother? if they are going to wait around for so long then why not do something different....I get more confused by Tesla every day of the week....

They biggest issue they have is selling an electric car into a market which buy Crossovers. They have the jump on everyone else and instead of killing the market they are waiting. By the time 2021 come around the Crozz from VW will be on sale for at least 1 year.

People talk about "tesla killer". I don't think anyone needs a Tesla killer because they are doing the job themselves.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I wouldn't complain to be honest if they started to make the Y model straight away and selling it....

It make sense to me, take the Model 3, make it a little higher and sell it as a Crossover so they can get to market quickers....

The problem is they announce it and then say it will be 2021 before it will start selling. So why bother? if they are going to wait around for so long then why not do something different....I get more confused by Tesla every day of the week....

They biggest issue they have is selling an electric car into a market which buy Crossovers. They have the jump on everyone else and instead of killing the market they are waiting. By the time 2021 come around the Crozz from VW will be on sale for at least 1 year.

People talk about "tesla killer". I don't think anyone needs a Tesla killer because they are doing the job themselves.....

Was all good reading and agreed with everything till the VW and Crozz came up

VW are going to be the biggest let down ever, it will be well into 2021 when they start selling base model's, they are only making 100k ID's in 2020 and they will be top of the range model's, not the 25k model's they are constantly talking up.

Yanks are after them for more billions too which they don't have, they are even more screwed then Tesla

Was all good reading and agreed with everything till the VW and Crozz came up

VW are going to be the biggest let down ever, it will be well into 2021 when they start selling base model's, they are only making 100k ID's in 2020 and they will be top of the range model's, not the 25k model's they are constantly talking up.

Yanks are after them for more billions too which they don't have, they are even more screwed then Tesla

I am not getting into a VW conversation....

The point is Tesla have a chance to kill the competition and they are waiting around for what exactly? they are supposed to have the batteries? the Y is not a new car, they could release tomorrow.

by the time it comes around loads of companies will have option out to market.....Polestar will be the car everyone will want then if they are looking for a new company

I am not getting into a VW conversation....

The point is Tesla have a chance to kill the competition and they are waiting around for what exactly? they are supposed to have the batteries? the Y is not a new car, they could release tomorrow.

by the time it comes around loads of companies will have option out to market.....Polestar will be the car everyone will want then if they are looking for a new company

Your around long enough to know nothing will change in the next 18-24 months

Tesla will still be producing in way higher volumes than anyone else, Hyundai, Nissan, Polestar lol and all the other giants will still be pissing around with low volume crap, extortionate prices and promising the world

In fairness to Nissan, they’ve decent pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

macnab wrote: »
    The fundamentals of the Y are spot on but some buyers dont see beyond the looks.
    Obviously aerodynamics and safety were the prime directive for the design brief.
    Having said that I think it is a great product and will probably outsell all other Tesla models combined.
    Well done Tesla.

Was just thinking the same. It looks....bland. And small.

I literally bought my Kadjar as it looked better than the rest (according to the Mrs.). But the model Y is...uninspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

The point is Tesla have a chance to kill the competition and they are waiting around for what exactly?

Cash. They turnover about $2bn a month and as they're making virtually no profit, they're therefore spending $2bn a month. At those sorts of figures, even a small percentage blip in the wrong direction would stop the company dead. When they were smaller Elon could top it up with his personal funds or do a whip around from friends, but that's just not a runner at this stage.

We know Elon is obsessed with getting the world into EVs as quickly as he can, so I think if he could move faster he would. But even during the presentation the other night he mentioned how the company would have died if they didn't produce the Model3 at the required levels a few months ago (think he said they slowed MX/MS to allow it?). Think it's just a very close balancing act.

Zenith74 wrote: »
    Cash. They turnover about $2bn a month and as they're making virtually no profit, they're therefore spending $2bn a month. At those sorts of figures, even a small percentage blip in the wrong direction would stop the company dead. When they were smaller Elon could top it up with his personal funds or do a whip around from friends, but that's just not a runner at this stage.

We know Elon is obsessed with getting the world into EVs as quickly as he can, so I think if he could move faster he would. But even during the presentation the other night he mentioned how the company would have died if they didn't produce the Model3 at the required levels a few months ago (think he said they slowed MX/MS to allow it?). Think it's just a very close balancing act.

Not the story that gets told here....according to most people all the established car manufacturers are going bust and Tesla are taking over

The advantage Tesla has is they a bit ahead of the market but the fact they cannot supply the model 3 in numbers and they Model Y is not available I think will be a huge error long term....

Neo in China just out sourced the manufacturing so they got product out to market quickly....you see all the other car manufacturers do the same

If I was on board of Tesla I would be firing as much of product out as quick as possible before the big boys catch up....it’s not like you would have quality concerns, it’s already bad

Go to a Ford or Merc and partner with them

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

Not the story that gets told here....according to most people all the established car manufacturers are going bust and Tesla are taking over

There's an eclectic mix of posters here now in-fairness :D. Anybody who has been involved in running/financing a business though is acutely aware that you're often faced with huge amounts of opportunity, but only a limited amount of funds to address that opportunity. If you have lots of money in the bank, or are making plenty of profit every month then you can take chances on new markets/products/opportunities, but if you're in around break-even with lots of debt and a small war chest you need to be much more careful.

Tesla would need to throw I'd guess tens of billions at battery factories and production lines to get to the production numbers you're thinking of (double or triple their current numbers?), they just don't have that kind of money so need to grow organically (which means slowly).

• Advertisement

Zenith74 wrote: »
    There's an eclectic mix of posters here now in-fairness :D. Anybody who has been involved in running/financing a business though is acutely aware that you're often faced with huge amounts of opportunity, but only a limited amount of funds to address that opportunity. If you have lots of money in the bank, or are making plenty of profit every month then you can take chances on new markets/products/opportunities, but if you're in around break-even with lots of debt and a small war chest you need to be much more careful.

Tesla would need to throw I'd guess tens of billions at battery factories and production lines to get to the production numbers you're thinking of (double or triple their current numbers?), they just don't have that kind of money so need to grow organically (which means slowly).

Hence why you partner with larger company, they had a relationship with Merc which is gone now

Ford needed help to transfer to electric and are now with VW....

Let’s say they partner with Ford, both American so I’m sure they would get some benefits. They would get ready access to huge manufacturing and they would get access to money to get more batteries.....
    Doing it solo, which looks to be Musk choice, might end up killing the company long term

Advertisement