Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

what would a Model 3 LR do in the same conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is the Cd for Model Y the same as for Model 3? And they both have the same pack? If so, the range should be very close at those speeds, the extra weight of the Model Y doesn't really matter when driven at constant speeds. There is a bigger frontal area, that's all. I'd say the difference is a good bit less than 10% between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Check out Richard Symons latest video on YouTube.

Only had his model Y a week and some oul lad absolutely smashed into it (reversed into it with an awful wallop)!!

Seen it. I wonder how much that will cost!

On another note, I thought he’s have off street parking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Here are the EPA ratings which have bot city and highway driving

I prefer the linear units as mpge are difficult to compare

So they do behave similarly vs speed.

• Advertisement

Such low figures compared to my Model S Performance!

My long term average through the winter is like 35 kWh per 100km. Most short journey though.

I'm close to 20k km on the 3LR and my figure is 155 kWh/100km just coming out of the winter. My commute is 80% on M50 and 100km/h is a really nice speed for EVs. I imagine RWD is even more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

rewound It a few times, and still can’t figure out how the van managed to generate so much force in literally a meter or two!

thought it would be some sort of clickbait initially, until I saw the force used and the fact the Y was pushed back and into the car behind too 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 34 vincentohanlon

2 RHD MY's available for test drive in the service centre in Sandyford as of this morning. I think I was the first to take one for a test drive. Initially I was a little annoyed because I was told they wouldn't have one to test drive until end March (so I basically bought the car without driving it, collection on Sunday) but the guy in the service centre promised me they didn't know they were getting test drive cars until yesterday. I'll take his word for it. Anyway, the ride is fine on 19's. Not as smooth as an ID4 or Audi Etron but fine. Similar to my BMW1 series with run flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

when are you expecting delivery for the Y you ordered ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Sat in the one in the showroom in Sandyford today. It is surprisingly big, a huge size up from Model 3. I could very comfortably sit behind myself and I'm over 6'1. Also loads of boot space.

When I asked about the 12V battery being lithium, the sales guys weren't sure, so got a tech guy out from the service department and he took off a few frunk panels to show me the new lithium 12V battery. He mentioned lithium-ion but was not fully up to speed with the details but mentioned it was 15V. This led me to believe it must indeed be using lithium-ion cells, so must be a 4S config, so fully charged 16.8V (he later said something about the voltage could also sometimes be 14 or 16V, so that is consistent). Big benefit as he explained was that the BMS won't let it go down below a certain voltage, so the car WILL start up the next time, even if the HV is empty. Unlike a lead acid battery, which would likely have died and not be able to be revived to good health. Big improvement this, also shaves over 10kg off the weight of the car.

I could have booked a test drive for one for tomorrow morning, but it didn't suit me. Both demo cars are on 19" so the ride should be nowhere near as firm as the test car all journalists were giving out about (because they obviously couldn't see past the 20" wheels which are simply too big for the car and the steel suspension setup). That infamous Dutch reg car is still sitting in Sandyford somewhere around the back 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

No Tesla anywhere in the world use Lead Acid anymore, it's the 15v here on in, you would imagine Tesla staff would be aware.

I've read reviews from new UK Y owners and they've all said even the 20s have perfectly acceptable rides.

I'm moving from Air Suspension to another non-air Tesla and I've zero concerns

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Without air won't be the same. My last Model S had air. My current one doesn't. No difference on the motorway or good national roads. But over speed bumps it is a lot less comfy. And I can only imagine the difference in comfort will be quite big on longer journeys where you will pass over plenty of substandard roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 vincentohanlon

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

We ordered on 12th Jan and collected today. Has 55% at pick up and seemed relatively accurate for the driving today with no big drop off.

Very happy family. Now a 2 EV household with 5 yr old i3, still a great car.

The same thing strikes most people. The Y is not a huge car outside but is inside. So much more storage and seating space than our old BMW 5 series estate. Voice control works excellently.

Well wear, uphillonly. Like your username too 😁

I must take a test drive in the RHD in Sandyford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

When is the 7 seater out?

No official word. It has not been launched for the EU market or at the very least IRL/UK market.

They only make 7 seaters in the USA for the moment. And the cars we are getting are from China now and Berlin later.

For those asking about the 7 seater. Have a look at this video.

Funny! That lad is 6'3 though so no chance he fits. His wife is 5'3 and it's fine for her.

Saw a Model Y on M50 today. It was overtaking a Model 3 both white. I wonder if they were some test drives. Nice looking on the road. Better than expected for me anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Yeah, 2 Ys in Sandyford for test drives

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

It looks a lot better in the flesh than a Model 3 and there is plenty of space inside. Not as practical though as you would think going by this exercise from Richard Symons yesterday:

Surprising finding for anyone not wanting to watch. The only car of the three that can swallow a full size men's mountainbike whole is the Model S. Does not fit in X or Y (without having to take the wheel off)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Typical clickbait youtuber really. He's a very tall guy. Of course he isn't going to fit.

Anyone 5'6" and below is fine. It's really for short journeys for kids or shorter adults. Works perfectly fine in that scenario. It's not a minivan/people carrier replacement. For the extra few grand, it's handy to have. Means that you don't need a second car in most circumstances.

For reference i've had 2 kids carseats in the third row and a large double buggy in the in the sub-trunk at the back and the boot lid closes perfectly.

Looks like it will be a few years before it's offered in UK Ireland market though.

• Advertisement

Yes my impression too. The 7 seat option in Model S is really only for very small kids, the 7 seat option in Model Y is far more usable (but not for adults or only very small ones)

I'm (still) in the situation where very occasionally we'd have to bring a 6th person with us (typically elderly mother in law), so can't do it in a 5 seater car. But could do it in the likes of a 7 seat Model Y if one of the kids squeezed into the third row. And the simple solution of using two cars to do that sort of trip don't work for us as we don't have two cars that can do that trip 😂

Back in the day where cars didn't even have seatbelts in the back (or nobody wore them), you'd just throw a kid or two in the boot, but that's no longer acceptable these days 😁

Advertisement