Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

I notice that he seems to be hanging out of the model 3 & y with 3 adults in the back. Does the model 3 & y as well as the ev6 and Ioniq 5 actually comfortably fit 3 adults in the back for longer journeys? I've noticed this is also an issue with current midsized SUV type cars, not that those aforementioned EVs are really SUVs.

I'm raising this issue as Ive driven behind an ev6 recently and its noticeable that while it has a wide track, it narrows significantly at shoulder high, so while it is a big car does it comfortably fit 3 adults in the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,372 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

He has done the same with 3 adults in the back of a Model S. Which is about the biggest saloon / hatchback you can buy. And they were far from comfy. I'd say unless you buy a huge vehicle with separate seats like a Model X (this yoke has a bigger width than a Hummer, I kid you not), 3 large heavy lads are not going to be comfy in anything else.

That reminds me of my time in the army when 5 of us (large heavy lads) fitted in an original Mini - a lifetime ago. That was fun. If I remember right the trip was short and it was so tight that none of us bothered to light up a smoke in the car 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Just saw a lovely blue one driving around rathmines. 3 times I saw it on different roads!! Another white one at a person's home on Orwell road with a model 3 beside it.

I wouldn't like to be ferrying around 3 adults in the back of the model 3. In fairness the flat floor would make it slightly easier than an ICE car with the big transmission tunnel running down the middle. I often have my 3 teenagers in the back and that's just snug enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭uphillonly

That may have been my better half.

It’s interesting how many friends and relatives want to see it. Even the mother-in-law made a special visit. I’ve never seen such interest in a car before. Tesla still have a bit of tech mystique about them.

It really is an impressive piece of technology. So many little things I hadn’t appreciated. The automatic lock & unlock from your phone, automatic driver profile selection depending which phone opened the car, accuracy of voice commands, adaptive cruise control so good that you can use it in heavy start stop traffic.

• Advertisement

I'll choose my words carefully here!! An "older" gentleman driving it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Yep, still qualifies as his better half 🤣🤣

That's my issue with most cars these days which is why I find full size MPVs so flexible. I need one anyway with 4 kids but even if carting around 3 older teenagers for longer journeys, the individual full sized middle row seats are a gift to maintain a harmonious environment in the car.

As for past experiences, there were 6 kids in my family and for a while we used to all pile into the back of a VW Beetle, 3 plus 2 on laps plus the smallest one in the space behind the rear seat! Obviously journeys were shorter back then but still was not the most comfortable way to get around! I remember once my Aunt was carting a bunch of cousins to a panto, short journey, and put down the back seats of her starlet and loaded 10 young kids in the back. We were all jammed in so tight we hadn't room to move .. good craic and different times

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Clear memories of the coach, driver and 11 of us piling into an ancient volvo estate to make our way to a soccer match far side of town, the 11 of us were beating each other silly for the entire drive and literally fell out when the doors were opened, different times indeed.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

• Advertisement

What does this mean?

quicker turn around?

lower price due to made in the EU?

Hard to say, but there are no RHD Model Y scheduled in Berlin yet afaik. The cars are made in the EU, so no import duty, so they should be a bit cheaper than the ones coming from China, with also the shipping costs greatly reduced. I don't know how much it costs more to produce a car in Germany though with higher labour costs and all. And that all said, Tesla will just ask for how much they can get away with. I doubt they will lower any prices, even if it costs them less...

They sell what they make, demand outstrips supply.

Free SuC for life is gone, referral incentives are gone, referral free SuC is gone.

Everything is now gone.

Good times are over

Unless we hang onto our dinosaur MS’s 😁

free SuC for life !!

Even my basic 7 year old Model S 85 is faster and longer range than the new RWD Model S, not quite dinosaur yet

Being very pedantic here but it's probably more accurate to say for the life of the car, however long that will be. Otherwise 'free SuC for life' might be considered in same category as 'self charging'. I repeat being very pedantic here!

It is obviously for the life of the car. It is bound to the car (and its life), not the owner (and their life)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Setanter

Picked up my blue one today. I am in love :}

Surreal to think I will never be pumping petrol again.

Picked it up in Baldonnel some rough access roads there, suspension was fine a world away from the Lexus rx450h I rattled in on.

AMA

Well wear @Setanter !

Is the pickup area still "tented"?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Yes! Absolutely! Sat in the back of many a van on the wheel arch on the way to a football game or something! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Setanter

It was.

In truth, I was really looking forward to the razzmatazz of the pick up but in truth it was meh.

I really wanted a demo of the cool features I paid for but even though I had the place to myself it was "look it up in the tutorials" so I spent the morning in the Blanch center trying to figure out autopark (it does) and summons (it doesn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

seems to be delighted overall. Why wouldn’t he in fairness :)

He gets the ‘dislikes’ out of the way first, starting with the ride comfort, in mins 1-3.

TLDR - it’s fine on motorways and higher speeds; v hard everywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Is the on the road of these really 78 grand!!?

Yep, silly pricing in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Jesus that's off the wall tbh. Really really annoying why it's not illegal to put in cost savings as part of the total on their site. Same with otr pricing with normal dealers excluding all the extras.

The legislation should be updated or enforced.

That's because he went for the upgraded 20" wheels (like that infamous Dutch reg press car). I very much doubt the ride is as harsh on the standard 19" wheels, but I intend to find out soon for myself and I will report back here.

It looks like they don't do that anymore. Just went in to check. A Model Y LR AWD Purchase Price is €69,800:

I agree they should just remove the Price after Est. Savings. It is meaningless and might just confuse some people

• Advertisement

No it isn't. See above, screenshot just taken.

Advertisement