Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP mentioned a torn side wall. You cannot repair the side wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

OP said it's in the sidewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Hankooks are a mid range brand and at €260 a corner, I’d expect to be able to get premium brand tyres in that fitment. Most Teslas were previously supplied new with Michelins. After that it’s generally been a mix of Pirelli, Continental, Hankook and recently they’ve also included Kumho. Of those 5 brands, Hankook and Kumho would be the least desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I understand it’s usually necessary to replace tyres more often in an EV ?

we have fifteen thousand KM up since March , any rough guideline in terms of mileage for estimating when a replacement might be in order ?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

22k since march, front are fine. Backs are on the legal limit. Didn’t rotate. So looking at just replacing rear early in NY.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The weight of the car is a bit of a red herring in why EV's need "special" tyres. For any car you need to ensure that the tyre meets the load index requirement. It doesn't matter what's giving the car the weight only that the load index is correct.

Incorrect. I got 40k out of the rears on my M3P.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

What brand of tyre ? Generally a Michelin will wear better than other brands but they are also more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I must have picked that one up wrong, no more likely to need replacing early than a ICE ?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭tipperary

Thanks all for your input. Ended up going with Pirelli P7 Cinturato 255/45 R19 104 Y (P7C2), XL, MO for €165 each. They are A rated for efficiency and noise, so should be OK.

For some reason the various 'MO' versions of tyres seem to be a lot cheaper than 'T0' or 'T1' versions. Going to hold on to the non-punctured one, might tide me over for a few days if I get another non-repairable puncture as it can be hard to find this size tyre in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,562 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

M0 are Mercedes OEM spec I believe.

Stupid question time: have I read that Tesla can be funny about warranty etc if you don't use T0/1/2 tyres? Obviously it's not going to make any practical difference but I seem to remember reading about folks (may not have been Ireland) having hassle with Tesla refusing to do warranty work (suspension maybe?) because the car had the "wrong" tyres.

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Have Pirelli’s on now and will be going back to Michelin if I still have the car at replacement time.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭DrPsychia

What difference do you find with the Pirelli's? Grip quickly degrading? More road noise?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Incorrect, when the Hankooks T O were developed especially for the model Y, however if it was our model 3 I’d go with Michelein as supplied new .

Less grip from the get go.

Noise I don’t notice at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 DaithiDooDoo

Any recommendations on where to get MYP detailed and ceramic coating? Near to Ashbourne area would be ace

• Registered Users Posts: 19 devilbike

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new car and am strongly considering an ev. I have never had an ev before so I have a few doubts maybe someone could help with. First of all most of my driving would be in and out of Dublin each day for a round trip of about 50km. I do about 160km round trip at the weekend. MY main concern with a full ev is the stories I've heard of people waiting for hours for chargers on a long trip and the Tesla supercharger network is a plus in this regard. When I looked into the network there doesn't seem to be that many locations here yet and not a lot of chargers available in most locations. I was wondering how the owners of the Tesla model Y long range have found living with the car in this regard, are there long wait times at weekends for example? Also do Tesla give good trade in rates for people changing their cars or other dealerships for that matter? I am considering the Toyota bz4x also as it is cheaper but with slightly less range. Toyota is known for it's build quality and reliability and I was wondering how owners of a bit older Teslas have found them to be regarding problems in later life? I drove a model Y long range and really liked it but am conflicted between a full ev and a plug in hybrid such as the Toyota Rav4 plug in.

All comments and help gratefully received.

If your longest trip is 160km then you won’t need to worry about public chargers. I haven’t used one in years.

Thanks for the reply. I would do a few trips a year to Kerry or as far as Donegal. That would be my main concern regarding charging on those trips.

What’s the distance door to door of those trips?

Would you have access to charging while you’re there?

outdoor socket etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Also do Tesla give good trade in rates for people changing their cars or other dealerships for that matter? I am considering the Toyota bz4x also as it is cheaper but with slightly less range. Toyota is known for its build quality and reliability and I was wondering how owners of a bit older Teslas have found them to be regarding problems in later life?

Tesla don’t really do trade ins. They blow your trade in out to the trade dealers so expect a woefully bad trade in. Sell private first and then buy from Tesla.

As for reliability, the Model Y is only in Ireland about a year, so too early to make any statements on it.

Older Teslas, like the S did have reliability issues but Tesla were good to cover everything as that was their first mass market car. Model 3s seem to be reliable so far but early days for them yet. Model Y should be better again. Tesla are improving.

How many years do you expect to keep your new EV? What's your average yearly km?

MY LR owners here. We do a 320-400km trip in Ireland every weekend and only once have we used an eCars charger. We drive further in Europe, mainly using SuCs.

Have a read of the Bz4x thread here if you're still considering a Toyota. Most people seem to be interested in them because of the Toyota reputation. But just because Toyota do hybrids well, doesn't mean they do full EVs well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

With that sort of short driving you might be better off with the RWD Model Y.

You'd get from Dublin to Dingle with one short (10mins) stop in Birdhill for example vs no stop in a LR. Looking at ABRP the Toyota would need a stop as well but it would be at a busy Ecars charger vs 6 superchargers in Birdhill or 2 in Tralee.

Is it worth the 8k for 10mins a few times a year when you'll probably stop for a toilet/coffee break anyway and that takes longer than the charging.

Obviously the LR is much quicker.

I would do about 22000km's a year. I would ideally like to change the car every 3 to 4 years. Thanks

If you have the budget for a Model Y long Range then you should definitely buy it. It is truly a fantastic car for the money given the space, efficiency, and refinement of the infotainment. The headlights are fantastic, very bright for our dark and wet roads. It doesn't have parking sensors so just be careful in tight spaces. It has sentry mode that will detect if someone does a hit and run in a car park for example, you'll likely catch their reg( happened to a friend of mine, they would have had to fix it out of pocket if they didn'thave sentry mode)

You'll read many arguments for and against but be mindful that no car is flawless. As a overall package it's great.

You should take a thorough test drive in both.

With Teslas you don't need to service it, every other brand requires annual 'servicing'. You can change the air filters yourself, easily done. If something needs to be fixed the Tesla mobile ranger servicemen will come to your house and fix it, if not they'll collect it with a flatbed truck and give you a nice loaner while it's being fixed.

Toyota are late to the EV game and it's telling when you see the poor attempt at making their first EV. It's very inefficient. Software is lacking refinement and fluid snappy feeling, phone app is crap. Lacks power compared to Tesla. 201hp in the Bz4x vs 280hp for RWD Model y and 490hp for model y long range AWD. AWD is fantastic in the wet and dry for traction, you'll take those gaps in traffic with ease. Overtaking ability is amazing.

If you're still unsure, try renting the 2022 Y long range from ufodrive for a couple days. Be mindful the 2022 model year has firmer suspension, whereas the 2023 models have the softer suspension.

Check the inventory listings on tesla Ireland website, you can get a MYLR on the road for €52-53k.

But be warned that after driving the LR, you'll find yourself coming up with all sorts of novel reasons why you need that extra 60km of range, or the AWD will be handy in the snow/wet/damp/might rain, or the extra acceleration will make overtaking safer. Did I mention the extra acceleration?

Did you ever sample acceleration boost? I believe you have 48hrs to get a refund. Not that the YLR is slow by any means, but it as fast or a smidge faster than the 3LR to 100kph

As a P owner, if I ever bought a LR, first thing I’m doing is adding AB 😁

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Interesting comparision between the Model Y RWD using the CATL LFP battery and the one's now coming out of Germany that use the BYD Blade battery. It was about 12 mins faster getting from 10% to 90%. (26 mins vs 38mins)

Advertisement