Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

the discounts will be back...nothing to suggest pattern changing

😎

Anyone got a graphic on watts per KM at various speeds?

love our Model Y, and wouldn't swap it, but did a few long journeys this week and highly disappointed with performance over 115/120KPH.

I know motorway speeds ate battery but always felt they eat diesel too, and so it's all relative.

did 135KPH for a while yday and the battery plummeted.

I was actually showing 1% going direct home driving back from the west to the east, decided I'd supercharge at Enfield, so thinking I had loads of battery - as a result of "playing it safe" and planning a stop at Enfield - I put the boot down, I ended up stopping in kinnegad as Enfield ended up showing 0% after a few minutes at 135kph.

My conclusion is EVs are fantastic for local driving and for regional driving from commuter counties to Dublin, but if you are doing lots of KM on motorways frequently then forget about it- unless your happy cruising at 110-115kph (which yes legally you shouldn't be doing much more but...)

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

During the summer at 17C we were getting exactly 4km per 1% of battery in an MY LR at 120gps.

Here's a graph of power consumption at various speeds. Not sure what the coefficient of drag was, it looks like they used a Golf from some of the pics.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Example-vehicle-absorbed-power-curve_fig7_313248133

Also an interesting graph of the ratio of rolling resistance to aerodynamic resistance at various speeds.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Characteristics-of-rolling-resistance-and-aerodynamic-drag-of-a-vehicle_fig1_313248133

Post edited by josip on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

It is generally accepted that the energy used by a car is proportional to the speed squared. That is true for both ICEs and EVs. If we calculate the ratio

E2/E1=(v2/v1) ^2=(135/120)^2=~1.26

This means that the car will use with 26% more energy to travel the same distance with 135 km/h vs 120km/h.

Ok so ice and ev same, but range becomes starkly relevant with EVs

😎

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mun1

my old Audi Q5 had a 60l tank and covered approx 700km on a motorway journey. ive settled into the approx 400km (motorway)capacity "tank" on the MY LR.

my longest frequent drive is approx 420km from home, and i have on a few occasions slowed down to 100kph to get home without stopping at birdhill. i could keep going at 120kph and stop to topup at birdhill , but i enjoy maxing out the efficiency for approx 10mins more driving time.

(the efficiency at 100kph is excellent , as stated by inrain above.)

but i take you point about the shorter range of the EV's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

Just to say I did a bit over 4000km around Europe this summer in Model Y LR.

Nearly all of that was on motorways and always at speed limit + VAT. This leg of the trip was pretty much all at 140kmph where possible and Autopilot on

This was done in hot weather (30-40 degrees) with the air conditioning on full blast and a fairly heavily loaded car. I was really impressed by the efficiency of the Model Y even at very high speeds. I did the same trip in an EV6 the previous year and it was about 20-30% less efficient so the Model Y does seem to very good at high speeds probably due to low drag coefficient. Can't comment on long trips in depths of Irish winter as I have not done any (I'm guessing it would be a lot crapper!) but very impressed in the summer. I'm doing a 300km motorway trip here in Ireland next week so will compare then.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I tried using the new single press autopilot option, I've reverted it back. It was great for roads where autosteer works but a pain for roads where I just like to stick the traffic aware cruise control on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭allinthehead

I suppose you could turn back on for a long journey. I'm doing Cork to Dublin and back on Thursday so will give it go.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

did 135KPH for a while yday and the battery plummeted.

Your not supposed to do 135kph unless your in Germany or Italy on one of there fast roads the limit is 120kph.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

True. But you're not supposed to drink before 18 and all sorts of other things that 99% of the population do. :)

my perspective was the consumption was way beyond what it was in an ICE, based on comments here it seems consumption was likely the same, just the tank is smaller so it gives an illusion of quicker burn rate

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

I agree. When you select this option it’s not possible to just turn on cruise control (the usual one press). Am undecided if this is an improvement or not. Not much hassle pressing twice and maintaining options

Would be a super interesting comparison! I know winter reduces range but I expected this to be more a function of wind/rain and shorter trips (windows defrost and heating inside of car repeatedly). The drag of wet roads though I expect to be the same as an ICE. It was close to freezing when I was doing my trip with disappointing consumption levels

😎

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If you had an ICE that displayed its petrol

tank in % terms then you’d notice that dropping at higher speeds too. Maybe not as quick but it would be noticeable.

I’ve had cars where the fuel needle moves nearly as quick as the rev counter 😂

Do you have a RWD or LR?

You either have a 300bhp car or a 400bhp car so driving at those speeds will be noticeable. It’s like driving a Golf R or V8 BMW M3.

Rwd, if it's just a perception thing I guess a LR model wouldn't experience the sentiment to same extent- although fair point about watching tank as a %. Different psychology on top of "smaller" tank

😎

Many other European countries allow 130, some 140.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Since I bought in late March, this morning could be my first frosty morning in the Model Y. Noticed the steering was heavy, comparable to sport mode. PSI down to 37 on all 4 wheels.

After 20 mins driving back up to 40. *I know must top back up to 42*

But hadn't noticed the cold having this impact in previous EV or ICE?

Probably in your head 😁

My 530e psi was way down too. Many cars don’t display it on screen so when you see it, it plays in your head IMO.

It’s the same feeling that your car drives better when it’s clean or you enjoy it more just after you’ve properly cleaned the interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

So I'm just looking at upgrading to model Y in the new year but see that the long range model is on the inventory for 10 k less than the new model both for delivery before Dec 31 st . I have a 221 model 3 (i know ..) to trade in .Any thoughts or advice on this from the much more knowledgeable heads on here would be much appreciated .

Are you mixing up the MYP custom order price (€60k) with the MYLR order price of (€54k) ?

Inventory MYLRs are €50k from what I can see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Do they do these discounts on the inventory cars often or is it just an end of year thing? I'm still thinking about just going for one of the €50k cars but to be honest the timing would work out better for me to switch in the new year, I'd only be considering it now because of the discount.

There are often discounts at the end of every quarter since Tesla reports earnings quarterly and likes to attain targets. I don't think there were any discounts in Q1 23 because the Irish supply was at the time only by boat from China. But there were definitely discounts in Q2 and Q3; I think because they've worked out how to use UK Inventory post Brexit.

But the offers are snapped up faster in earlier quarters and you'd be advised to register a Telegram tracker bot to be notified of them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

They are end of quarter offers and also very good, remember the Model 3 is refreshed in the new year but the Y is the same so these are good offers.

Mod Snip

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

There's a 3 year old Long Range S in the inventory (well, coming soon) for about the same price a new AWD Y starts at. It's piqued my interest a little, I don't suppose anyone has driven both here?

Totally different cars. The S is more a luxury car compared to the 3/Y platform. I’ve had 2.

I have a 3 currently which I've been happy enough with but I've a kid now and it's not very practical. I need a hatchback but also some more space in the back as fitting a baby seat is fairly tight. It looks like the S doesn't have any more space in the back than the 3 does, which I'm a bit surprised by. Anyway looks like it's the Y for me so. A 534bhp family car would have been nice, guess I'll just have to make do with 384 😃

If you are selling your 3, DM me with price and details.

😎

A has a lot more space than the 3 in the back. Noticeable difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Chuppa Siopa

I'm coming to the end of my PCP with Volkswagen on my ID4 and thinking of changing to the Model Y. Has anyone gone from VW to Tesla? Is it straightforward to move PCP or will I need to pay out the balloon payment with VW first and then trade in with Tesla?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

To get the best value for your ID4, you will be better off selling it privately. Tesla don't do trade-ins. They will offer it to the trade and you will only get a lowball offer.

That's how I moved from an ID3 to a Model Y.

Advertisement