Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭CptMonkey

Most insurers won't insurer people on cars over 10 years unless you already own it. Ice cars break spectacularly all the time. I had a mondeo that was only 5 years old a spring went in the clutch and into the engine causing 8k worth of damage with no warning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,248 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm thinking of going for one of these.

Do people recommend getting the standard or the performance / long range models?

What is the real world difference in range? 400km would do me for 90%+ round trips. I'd probably do two very long trips a year (live in NL) of up to 800km one way, but even then stopping while it charges wouldn't be the end of the world, and a few more of 300km or so.

Is there much difference performance/ driving experience between different models? I'm coming from a 1.0 VW Golf (which does me grand)

Anything else I should look at or try to test drive with similar price and range?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

The LR is the obvious choice.

The standard range won’t do 400km anyway, and wouldn’t do 300km on winter long journeys (250km of winter motorway driving)

the Perf is lower range than the LR.

note: EV database do their motorway driving at 110kmph, so if you prefer 120kmph, the range will be far lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

If you only do occasional long trips that you'd have to stop anyway you'd be better to save your money and get the SR. Have a look at your 800km trip on abetterrouteplanner ( select CCS as well as Tesla CCS for charger types).

At 120kmh for an hour in winter you're looking at around 18kwh, so 330km, pottering around day to day, I'm at 15.6kwh/100km without any effort to hypermile etc... so closer to 400km range.

The SR can be charged to 100% vs 80% for the LR so the day to day range is similar.

The LR is obviously faster and better if you're regularly doing trips outside the SR but within the LR range.

Also don't forget to use a referral link to buy as think you get a few hundred quid off these days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Very hard to make a financial business case that justifies the LR over the RWD. Probably not much difference in real world range, smaller battery in the RWD, but more efficient and no problem with its LFP battery chemistry to have it brimmed to 100% in advance of any long trips. The LFP battery in the RWD is expected to degrade more slowly than the LR so after a few years probably very little difference between them. My advice would be to not test drive an LR, only the RWD and go with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mun1

LR vs RWD

Longer range (no issue with charging to 100% like you suggest(source: tesla manual), and LR battery handles cold weather better; LFP vs NCA battery)

more power

All wheel drive

faster charging

quicker.

so your choice , depending on what you want out of your car.

for me i test drove both RWD and LR and happy to pay the extra for the LR, and every day i drive it im glad i chose the LR.

if its a sound financial business case you want, buy a Dacia duster.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

And just to add to that, with Tesla charging infrastructure being ahead of the pack it’s quite easy to top up on any long journey. I’ve 28k kms done since end of march and not once have I wished I’d gone LR. Maybe just for the extra acceleration kick😎

its great not having to be too careful with charging the LFP to 100% also

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I was coming from a Model 3 SR+, didn't really want a downgrade on power so was happy to go for the LR. It was €7k more than the SR in the same configuration, these are 45-55k cars so you're not talking a massive amount here. You are limited to white/black if you want the €3500 SEAI grant on the LR though.

Range wise as far as I can tell the LR WLTP rating of 533km was done on 20s, the WLTP rating for the SR on 20s is 430km. The LR on 19s doesn't have a WLTP rating, just an estimate on Tesla's site of 565km. Not an absolutely massive difference but I don't see how the range is about the same? EV database has a roughly 20% difference in range between the two which is about the same as the WLTP. Having lived with a 50kwh Model 3 for 4 years I'll take all the extra range I can get now. I did 2000km around Northern France in that car in 2022, getting from city to city with a small battery Tesla isn't an issue. Where the extra range would have been handy is once you're staying at your destination and don't have access to a charger (campsites for example).

I also beached my Model 3 parking on a grass bank after some heavy rain a few months back and had to get a friend to tow me out, AWD would probably have been fairly handy that day 😂

Also as a matter of interest, has anyone had any mechanical issues with a model y yet? Good amount on the roads and I haven’t heard of any real issues -which is great.

I dip in and out of a few other EV threads and plenty back to the dealer for weeks talk. Others harp on about Tesla build quality but I can’t fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

See below for Teslas figures for Mod Y LR on different tyres

Mod Y LR on 20" Induction WLTP 533km Certified

Mod Y LR on 19" Gemini WLTP 565km Estimated

Hope you are enjoying your new car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭TMY

None here, it's been flawless mechanically. Had a door card replaced as it was heavily scratched from the factory and a creaking noise in the underbody caused by two panels rubbing and needing adjusting but both were ranger visits done in the driveway. It's been hassle free...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

None here bar wind noise from the back window which ranger fixed. Also had an issue with app not connecting to car to preheat but it's fixed itself.

Also though I'd a leak coming in from above the pedals until I copped or @Gumbo pointed out it was my wet feet and water pooling on the mats I put in 🙄

No issues for me after 10k

The statement that the day to day range is similar is based on:

Standard Range 100% of 455km WLTP = 455km

Vs

Long Range 80% of 533km WLTP = 426km

LR obviously AWD, faster, faster charging etc .... But if you're mostly within the range of the SR it's a good option to save a few quid, and put up with the 10mins of extra charging twice a year.

You're not going to get into your car and drive 350km every morning though are you? You probably only need a small portion of that. 100% vs 80% is irrelevant, you only need the extra range for long trips. If you don't have your own charger then absolutely go with the one you can charge to 100%, otherwise I really don't see what the massive benefit is.

Also it should be 80% of 565km if you're comparing like for like, both cars on 19s.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You know there's a driving mode for when stuck in mud/snow?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Damn, I do now. I also discovered that night there's no tow hitch on the back of a Model 3 other than the one you pay for as an extra. Just about had enough space to attach the tow rope to the front and get the car turned round before I drove it into a bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Similar to the post above im seriously considering a My and looking at the two models. I've driven both models.

On query I have would be resale value, is the dual motor the model everyone is after or does their seem to be a decent market for the single motor version?

Anyone with the single motor wish they'd gone for the dual?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There will always be a smaller market for the higher performing versions. In the same way that there’s always a smaller market for the likes of M3, M5 etc

Some people don’t see the value in them and see them as just another box on wheels. Me personally, would only buy the P and possible LR version.

So buy what you like as you’ll be driving its, nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You may be overthinking it unklerosco - both will suffer large depreciation and values of both will likely be similarly apart, or perhaps slightly closer down the line than the current RRP suggests. If you enjoy driving vs just getting around you may find the RWD version a slightly better driving experience - permanent AWD gives a slightly detached feeling IMO.

The LFP battery in the RWD is more advanced, if smaller, and requires less babying so you can keep it topped up more often without worrying about degrading it. That peace of mind may be worth something in the market in a few years, it remains to be seen.

• Advertisement

I'd agree, looking at older Model 3s the price difference between SR+ and LR seems to have reduced considerably.

I could only test drove the LR Y, and coming from the SR+ 3 was worried about the speed in the RWD Y.

And while it's a bit slower especially 0-30km or so, it's perfectly fine for a family car.

While browsing the site there all the prices just increased. The showroom discount is not longer applied to any of the models... Does this happen often? How long before discounts might come back?

Was literally about to put a deposit down

Keep checking. They could be adjusting them. It could be tomorrow or it could be 16th September. You just never know unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭JOL1

Mod Y RWD now same price as Mod 3 RWD....exceptional value

That Y for 42k has to be the best value new car out there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's certainly good value, theirs some very healthy options around the 40k mark now. A competitive market is good for consumers.

• Advertisement

Before I take the plunge, I had the skoda enyaq and kia ev6 on my list and drove both but value wise and practicality there's no comparison.

Is there anything else on the market worth a last check. Don't like the vw range, some of the other makes are either mad money or depreciate like mad. The MY seems the obvious choice

Advertisement