Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,373 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's exactly it. Tesla are creaming off an enormous profit on these Model Y LR because people want to buy them anyway. That's what companies do, that's what they should do. Maximise profits.

They can get away with it as their production capacity is too small to produce both a basic cheaper version like the SR+ and the LR at the same time and there is enough demand for the LR and they are so far ahead of the competition that people are willing to pay the price. Not everyone is though, not me for sure 😁

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The Model 3 RWD (as the SR+ is now known as) was required because Elon promised it, there is no such promise on the Model Y.

I agree with the theme here and would not be banking on a Berlin Model Y RWD variant, Tesla will let the Model 3 RWD fill that requirement (setting aside obvious car differences)

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Seen a model Y this morning on motorway.....looks small. I know videos of a 7 seater seems to indicate it is big but it looks very small to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

There have been Y SR sold in the US already for a time, but, per the above post, they are trying to sell the highest margin models so have removed it for now. They did the same when the 3, the X and the S were released.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It's tragic how difficult it seems to be for the European makes to scale up the production of EVs. And it makes sense that, while the resulting demand allows it, the makes that can manufacture in volume [T, H/K, (N*)] are able to profiteer. My guess is that will be the MYRWD orderable in 2023, although seeing how glacial the process has been perhaps it will be even 2024 before Tesla will really need to start selling. Anybody who can bring cars in market in 2022 can ask whatever they want really.

Two new Gigafactories that are coming online will allow much greater volumes. Will the others get their supply problems solved? EV market saturation is not a problem for anybody who can make the bloody things but the lower end models will need to be on market eventually but not for foreseeable future. I think the turning point will be when the masses wake up and don't actually want to buy an ICE.

*Nissan can manufacture the LEAF in sufficient volumes as there is not sufficient demand for them at the moment. I suspect Arya will become bottlenecked though for a while and hence they are trying to move it more upmarket like the others.

PS. Waiting for the "this is a Model Y only thread" comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

I very much doubt that. i was driving an X5 and it looked tiny :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The X5 houses an ICE engine and wheelbase limitations, the Y does not so interior space will be much larger even if smaller from an external dimension perspective

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Ive had 2 X5’s and the Y is bigger inside.

I sat in one today for the first time and it’s so much bigger in real life than in the pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

You’d have to have notions and excess of money to buy this. Every time you chose a Skoda if you have brain

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I suppose it’s subjective. The Skoda would not have the driving dynamics that the Tesla has. Like them or hate them, I have to admit that.

Skoda is a lovely car too so either would be a good space to be in.

The long range AWD Skoda Enyaq in decent spec is similar money to the Tesla Model Y. And that's the Skoda not having decent level 2 autonomous driving, a dedicated superior charging network, sentry mode, proper fast charging, etc. yet having higher depreciation. You'd need to be mental to pick the Skoda over the Tesla in this case.

The base short range Enyaq is a very basic and spartan slow charging car, with yesterday's tech and poor software, but I freely admit it is better value than the Model Y. It's the new Toyota Corolla, taximen love them 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 28,074 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You'd buy an Ioniq 5 Executive over the Enyaq iV60 poverty spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Altreab2

X5 boot space is 645 Liters and 1860 liters with the back seats down

Model Y boot space 854 liters and 2158 liters with the back seats down. Also Frunk space is 117 Liters :) Space wise there is no contest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

well its hardly comparing like with like , an X5 is a large SUV ?

its much larger inside than you might guess from the outside , Ive sat in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Enyaq sounds very slow for an EV too. Nearly 9s 0-100kmh. More than 1s slower than the much maligned Leaf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

They are not similar money. According to the Skoda brochure an AWD Enyaq in Sportline trim is over 17k less than a Model Y.

There might be plenty of reasons to pick a Model Y over something else but price is not one of them.

Fair enough, the current model for sale here in Ireland is nowhere near as expensive. Maybe I got my idea of the top model price from a review of a top of the range model not yet for sale in Ireland. I think they mentioned €70k, but I could be wrong. Just had a look at the VW website and the ID.4 top model starts at €71k so very much similar money as the Model Y

I think the top spec ID.4 is a crazy price, can't see many been sold. Especially when you can buy a different spec ID.4 with the same battery and motors for 55k.

On the supercharging, there are stories this week that Tesla in the UK will be opening all their stations to all brands. I know they have been trialing it in others countries but it will be interesting to see what happens here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

Try and build one on the website. Climate is optional, electric seats are optional, keyless is optional, wireless charger is optional, adaptive cruise control is optional, heat pump is optional even rear airbags are optional.

My build C7L88VRJ is 66k. I didn't add fancy lights or Infotainment plus pack or tow. Add 2k for delivery and related and you're at 68k basically same price range.

• Advertisement

Climate is standard on a Sportline. As is keyless, wireless charging and Matrix lights. Unless this has changed since March or their product guide is wrong.

Not including heated seats and ACC at this price is very poor.

The Skoda site does not include grants for some reason, unless you have taken the 5k off manually. If not there is still a 10k difference on your build.

Anyway I don't want to drag this off topic as it is a Tesla thread.

You don't even get ACC on a €100k Porsche 🤣

It's preposterous of course. You are buggered many times before they let you buy the car if you want a decent spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

We still compare to Tesla Y so technically we're OK. There is no grant at 60k anyway. I'm looking at their website which in theory should have the most up to date info. Get the code I posted and load the build and see for yourself. All of those I had to add. Very possible that not many people will want the AWD anyway. Ioniq5 AWD is advertised at 66k but it says it contains the grant which makes me think it may be pre-July 2021 price. EV6 AWD is not on the website anymore but I remember being announced close to 70k.

There is still the 5k SEAI grant, there is no VRT rebate at that price. So the price would be 63k. The options add up very quick though, you have added 7.2k on your build.

But dual zone climate, Matrix lights, wireless charging and keyless are definitely standard equipment on a Sportline. It states it when you use your build code under the standard equipment tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Have seen a few more Ys now. They’re much more colour/wheel sensitive than the 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Smck1983

You only get SEAI 5K grant for cars with original list price under 60K. A 60K+ car will not be eligible for the grant.

My mistake. It is on the top spec Enyaq but removed once the options get added, which wouldn't take many

Yeah it’s a nightmare now. On RWD M3 if you add colours or nice wheels it costs a fortune as you lose the grant as it pushed price over 60K.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭creedp

It would be less of a nightmare if the Govt followed the UK and reduced the grant to £1.5k for cars under £32k.

Advertisement