Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

Was thinking the same myself (re ID.4) so would be interested to see what valuation we get

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Unless you’re trading a Tesla, your valuation is likely to be pretty poor. Might not matter though if you we’re lucky enough to have bought an ID.4 before VW jacked up the prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Out of interest, why are the ID.4 owners thinking of getting a Model Y? You probably only just got your cars from sometime this year or last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Curiosity. Buy low, sell high.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Hmmm I’ve been busy and missed this early last week - really interested in the MY as my back is ######. Filled in the trade in for a 2021 low mileage M3 and they offered €40k - anyone know a dealer that would wait until March when the MY arrives to accept the trade in car (and give a decent price…)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Loads, but they won’t give you a price until next March.

The market will be totally different then!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

Thanks @Gumbo - so just buy now and sell the M3 when the the MY arrives - any idea current market value of a 211 sr+ low mileage perfect con? Are you expecting a bit drop in the next 6 months?

Yeah if you got one of the early ones, you will make thousands on your ID.4. Then buy a Model Y with the grant a few months before it's cut in half and you will likely have very low depreciation for the first year or two. Or in other words, you could be on a path of 4 years of owning brand new cars without a cent of depreciation overall. Great, innit? 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I’m sure Teslas are great EV’s but it seems a really awkward way to trade up not knowing your actual cost to change unless you buy from inventory. They’d surely sell way more of them if they had a partnership with some trader that could sort the trade in part of the transaction. Most used car dealers are crying out for stock with little coming from the UK now. It surely couldn’t be that difficult to agree a trade in value now against a new car for Q1 2023

I'm sure you will find a trader that would do that sort of deal. But he will then take the risk that the trade in car would drop in value, and you will have to pay a price for that. And of course he could no longer be willing to do the deal by the time you get your new car (or have gone out of business), so you could be in a spot of bother

Personally I think I will put up my old car for sale sooner rather than later. And should it sell just to buy a banger (or any lowish value near zero depreciating car) to tie me over. But I haven't decided yet. Or find a trader that will take my car now and pay for it, but will let me use one of their low value cars until I get my new car.

• Advertisement

The same for BMW. And others.

Go order an i4 tomorrow.

None available until next year. They will price the deal based on todays values but the cost of the car may go up and your trade in is valued when the new car arrives.

Same set up across every dealer in fairness.

Yeah just order.

Deposit is refundable anyway.

Value of the 211 M3, im not exactly sure but at cost of €52k new, maybe low to mid 40’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭CFC007

A good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

That addresses the only real complaint I have about 3. Unfortunately for the current owners the Model 3 suspension is really durable so it will take a long time before we are going to get to upgrade to those new springs/struts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My september delivered TM3 has really good suspension and handling. Noticeably better than my old model X that had air suspension (albeit on 22' wheels)

22" wheels is insane in Ireland on any road except good motorways. Even 19" is often pushing it. And I've been saying this for a long time. I had a mid 90s BMW 7-series on upgraded 18" wheels. Which was probably about the biggest you could get in any car at the time. They looked fantastic, but were terrible on bad roads.

The Model 3 has a good rack and pin steering system. It’s more direct and “point and shoot” kind of car.

I felt the same coming from Model S with Smart Air Suspension.

Model 3 is a completely different car than Model S (let alone X), particularly if you had the latter on air suspension. Hopefully the Model Y with the softened suspension sits somewhere in the middle

That said, I never minded the sporty setup of the Model 3 myself. And I really enjoyed driving the Model 3 Performance hard over the Wicklow mountains on roads I knew well 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

I went from 19s with a low profile to the M3 on 18s and it is very smooth and absorbs the bumps much better than my Cupra. The MY looks to come with 255/45/R19s so they should eat up most of the bumps and with the new suspension I’m expecting the ride to be good

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

(OT but was that an e38 and if so were the the SE wheels (which I prefer from a comfort spec) or the m-para wheels (which are my favorite wheel of all)

I think the new uberturbines look great but I actually like the new TM3 aero wheels almost as much. With an MSM dechromed car they actually suit it. One of the main issues with the Y for me is the gemini wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

Just noticed on the German Configurator that the WLTP estimate is 430 Klms and on the Ireland Configurator it is 455 klms.

Would this seem to indicate that there is a different battery size/performance for each country?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

Or possibly Left Hand Drive built in Germany and RHD in China?

Loved the MPars in my E39 Aegean Blue Limited Edition 530d.

I’m the opposite on the M3P wheels, I don’t like the new Uber Turbines and much prefer the older Performance Wheels. I have been asked would I direct swap a new owner who was if the same opinion but I declined 😃

This is what’s being debated for the new MY RWD orders.

The 430km appears to match the new “Blade” BKD LFP battery packs which are much safer.

We are actually hoping these are what’s installed on the Irish MY’s due in Feb/mar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I believe Irish standard range MYs due next feb will be made in china and using LG chem LiFePo batteries. Very likely come sooner as they're almost full tilt in China a bit of a demand pocket going on at the moment, so they'll shift to Q4 deliveries I'd say. Hope so anyway as I just ordered mine today. Anyone want an ID3? :)

Not sure if there's any difference in battery safety between BYD and LG Chem - the chemistry is the same at least. BYD definitely a better battery design but its kinda like saying a tesla motor is better than a VW motor. For a given output, the end user should only care about the reliability

No, it looks like the Irish standard range Model Y due next Feb / Mar will be made in Germany and have the 55kWh BYD blade LiFePO4 battery pack. See a few posts back.

You are probably right about the UK standard range Model Y having the CATL 60kWh LiFePO4 battery pack, same as the current Model 3 being delivered in both the UK and Ireland. I haven't heard from any connection at all between Tesla and LG Chem.

@ELM327 - Not the M-paras, can't remember what these were called. That was my last blue car too, looking forward to getting the next one 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

So have the Y on order and only have a 16amp charger at the side of the house from a few years back when I had a 330e. 99% of my charging will be done in work for free. Do I need to think about getting the old wall box replaced with something that will charge faster or is there really any need ?

At the moment I really only use it the odd time at the weekends it I have taken the battery on the Leaf too low over the weekend so just top up on night meter for two hours to give me a top up to make the 40km to work.

Any idea what the going rate is at the moment to upgrade to something better or will the old one suffice ?

@rodneytrotter15

Is it the ABL one supplied by ESB ecars for free around 2016-2018? If so, you can upgrade that to 32A (7.4kW) yourself, for free. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Keep your existing one, it can still put in 9 hours times 3.7kW per night during night rate (minus 10% losses), that's about 30kWh (your car will likely have a 55kWh battery)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

Yep, they're definitely my pick of the Tesla wheels as well. Really dislike the Gemini ones they don't do anything for the car. Hopefully can pick up some decent covers to go over these.

Advertisement