Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭rodneytrotter15

That's exactly the one. Nigel Daly installed it for me at the time on behalf of the ESB. I'm all for free stuff. How would I go about upgrading it Unkel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yep Nigel Daly. He had the contract from ESB eCars. Did a great job on mine. I upgraded mine myself, but that was nearly 6 years ago. We covered the details in here but it will be hard to find the link now search is completely borked.

But now I think of it, the cable he installed is not good enough to carry 32A, so you would have to replace that, for which you would need a RECI electrician. Which will make it expensive, so I just wouldn't bother if I were you - seeing you charge in work almost always. I had a robust conversation with Nigel Daly himself and he reluctantly agreed to install the heavier cable that I supplied (as I knew these could be upgraded before the install)

I stick with what I have, I can just about manage changing a plug. 😉...thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Delighted i'm wrong :)

On the other hand, even Elon says "don't buy early VIN Teslas"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BYD blade battery is significantly safer that previous batteries.

The temp difference after penetration is significant here.

Also with the recent floods in USA and EV’s submerged in water catching fire it can only help that temps are so low on the new blade design.

https://en.byd.com/news/byds-new-blade-battery-set-to-redefine-ev-safety-standards/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

The reason why you are seeing 430kms range is because of the wheel size selection which has the 20” by default. Switch back to 19” and you’ll get the 455km. I make the same mistake all the time LOL

Indeed. Those blade batteries are not new though, BYD themselves have been using them for quite some time. The bad news is we are only getting a 55kWh battery instead of the 60kWh pack in the made in China cars. But the energy density is much higher, the car is the guts of 100kg lighter and efficiency is better, to so WLTP range on 19" wheels is only going down from 455km to 440km. That's more than my Model S 85kWh ever had and interestingly, it's more range per kWh of battery than Ioniq 28kWh, the most efficient EV ever tested. Not that efficiency is super important, but it's interesting all the same

The Model Y was already the safest car ever tested by Euro NCAP. And now it's getting an even safer battery, the safest battery fitted in any EV.

And before there were only two seriously bad points about the Model Y as available in Ireland. The ride was too harsh and it was far too expensive. Both fixed now 😁

Any thoughts on what kind of real word normal driving range we can expect + or - 10 % will do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

@unkel @ELM327 @Gumbo - I'm a long time lurker around these parts so I know you lads are into your cars and all have had performance models. Now that your looking at and indeed I think two of you have ordered the MY - I'm curious as to why? I think in Unkels case the practicality of the hatchback is a big one, but the performance is down on all your current cars.

And what colour is best? :)

Same with all EVs, with a light foot on a good day, you'll make WLTP range. But drive at motorway speeds, or in bad or colder weather or with a heavy foot, and you won't get anywhere near it. The good thing about all Teslas is that they are extremely aerodynamic. So you get punished less than most other EVs for driving at motorway speeds. Model Y has a Cd of just 0.23 (compared the competition: a Nissan Ariya with a brutal 0.30, ID.4 0.28, Ford Mach-e 0.28, Hyundai Ioniq 5 0.29, even the slick looking Kia EV6 has a rather poor 0.28)

• Advertisement

Colour is subjective, follow your heart :-) don't buy red though or you will miss out on the €5k grant

In my case I have all the practicality I need in my Model S, it is a hatchback that's even bigger and more practical than a Model Y. But it is out of general warranty and will be 6 years old by the time I'll get the Model Y. Which will be brand new and with a brand new warranty. There's a lot to say for that, but I do realise it is a step down too. The Model Y RWD is the slowest Tesla ever made 😂 And the Model S is the daddy. It's still by far the best Tesla. Every 3 year old boy out there seems to know this as they point and shout "Tesla!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

im pretty sure the one i ordered came with 455km as range and not 440. also paid the 54 (after grant) so im assuming its the german one ive ordered. i know i found the test drive Y ride harsh, so im hoping its the german one. my estimated date is Jan-Feb 2023.

A little bit of greed and a little bit of trying new things.

I’ve never, not once lost money on a car I’ve bought since I started driving a 1.4 Civic in 2001.

I kinda buy something different, keep it clean and sell for profit. I use theme money to buy a more expensive car, and repeat.

I went to UK when times were good and I bought during recession when prices were at the floor.

I remember going to buy a 2005 120d from a dealer in North Dublin one Friday afternoon. Turns out the owners sim took it 30 mins earlier as his 520d engine died.

There was an 05 320d in the corner for €13,950. Dealer tried to get me into that. I walked with that car at 3.55pm (they closed at 4) for €10,600.

I kept it for 6 months and sold it for €13,500.

Done similar with all other cars, always buying something a little different, MG ZR, Fabia VRs, S3, V8 X5, E36 and decent E60’s. A Leaf in Scotland cost me €7995 in 2017 and I sold that in 2020 for €11k was another decent return.

Anyway, that’s enough waffle, I bought a 2014 Model S P85+ for €34k in 2020 and sold it in 2021 for €36k. Bought a 2016 Model S P90DL then for €48k and sold it in March for €57,609 (trade in to Tesla). Bought a Model 3P from Tesla for €55,200 and gave me the balance in cash transferred to my bank and they have offered me €56,050 trade in for a MY (figure may change next year at delivery obviously).

So I can get into a brand new 2023 MY for free with change after picking MSM colour (although I still 50/50 on my preference for white).

Slower car, but hey it’s not as if I use the performance daily but proof be in the pudding when it comes time to change. If I do!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Change the wheels. The smaller wheels increases the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭eagerv

I will have to stop telling friends that my Model 3 is the least powerful Tesla ever....😁

(After they are amazed by the acceleration)

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

Where are you getting the trade in estimate? After booking deposit is paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭speedfreak

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭fafy

Can someone explain this Tesla Y quote, whats the actual cash price, without a trade in ?

It appears to be 45,472 after grant, but is this correct:

52,990 less 5k grant, = 47,990

less vrt of 2,518 = 45,472

Are there any other extras, like delivery etc, as these are not mentioned, well, not that I can see anyway ?

Its a base Y, in white, zero extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭CFC007

€52,972 is the purchase price including the grant.

€45,000 is nonsense 5 year of fossil fuel savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The price you pay is just under €53K. The €45K is Tesla's stupid made up figure based on imaginary savings over five years.

As far as I'm concerned this figure should not be allowed to be displayed under the purchase price as it creates confusion and is borderline false advertising.

Thanks.

Nearly got a fright there, when it came up as 45k !

Still, seems like an excellent price, when one considers, the near compeditors.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,076 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A 77KW Ioniq 5 Premium is around 53K as well. Not sure on the EV6 or Aryia pricing. ID4 and Enyak more expensive? What else is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Approaching 20k kms in my id4 (bought in march this year) and absolutely delighted with it. However following this thread closely as model y is priced so well now. I’m thinking of placing a deposit and then see how I feel early next year, love the tech in the teslas. I like the white interior so that would probably be the only option as don’t want to decrease range with larger wheels as well as trying to keep price down.

I currently have 3 kids seats across back of id4 so would need to make sure I can put same setup in.

one concern is the range difference, 455km vs 514km id4. I have done a few summer long distance trips and In the right conditions I’m getting the full range.

my other concern is - after service. What happens in the event of something going wrong or damage. With a Vw I simply pop into my local dealer. I’m in the south of country so where do I go with a Tesla. Also is there anywhere but Dublin where I can test drive one?

I have enquired about upcoming Id buzz. But with any bit of spec your at 70k+. And god knows when delivery would be as you cannot order yet.

im thinking I’ll get the bones of 50k early next year if I were to sell the id4 so wouldnt cost too much to change.

any thoughts welcome!!

From what I understand, the Y price has reduced considerably, in recent days, by somewhere of the order of 12k, has a mid table WLTP of 455kms, has one of the larger boot spaces in class, beating all those listed above, everything is bigger, car is wider, the frunk is also double the size of the ioniq 5. No frunks in the Enyak or ID4., more power and faster, than just about anything else under 55k, and its a Tesla, and they can deliver in about 4 to 5 months, versus the 9 to 12 months, which seems to be common place, for most of the others : VW, Hyundai, Skoda etc.

Wheres Unkle ? he’d have more detail, and have the knowledge on servicing backup, and many other considerations.

@staples7 - "one concern is the range difference, 455km vs 514km id4. I have done a few summer long distance trips and In the right conditions I’m getting the full range."

The Model Y RWD you order now will only have 440km WLTP range

That said, the car has far better aerodynamics than the ID.4 (plus a far more efficient drivetrain) so I have no doubt that the motorway range at 120km/h in the 55kWh Tesla is similar or even more than in the 82kWh Volkswagen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is a Belfast dealership. There was something in Cork, but limited support..

They have a ranger who will come to your home for minor issues such as door handles. In Dublin they may give you a loaner. In terms of servicing Tesla have very little requirements unlike the other brands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

For longer trips you've also got to factor in the charging speed and availability. If you look at abetterrouteplanner a trip e.g. Dublin to Cork return, or Cork to Derry return will be similar in the Tesla than an ID4 thanks to better charging speed, more efficient, and availability of supercharging.

As you'll have used less kWh it will also be cheaper (depending on where you charge of course )

• Advertisement

@zg3409 - "In terms of servicing Tesla have very little requirements unlike the other brands."

It goes a step further. Tesla is the only brand that I'm aware of that doesn't require any servicing at all for the warranty to be valid for the full 4 years.

Advertisement