Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Does the Model Y also have the advantage of a heat pump as standard ? +€1100 on ID4

Would 350km winter range be achievable at 120kph on motorway with only 55kWh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

One of the things I liked about the ID.3 was the center airbag between passenger and driver. Looks like Berlin and China MY have this now.

I test drove a MYLR a couple of weeks ago and found the ride to be fine, particularly on ridged concrete, compared to the ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,381 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@joe1303l

"Does the Model Y also have the advantage of a heat pump as standard ? +€1100 on ID4"

Yes all Model Y have heat pump as standard. It was the first Tesla to have a heat pump. Apparently it's a pretty impressive, innovative and efficient system. Personally I have owned several EVs with and without heat pump and I wouldn't pay extra for it. Overrated in a mild country like Ireland and most EVs these days have plenty of range even if they lost some through inefficient heating. And if you really need that bit of extra range, you could preheat the car (powered by your home's charge point)

"Would 350km winter range be achievable at 120kph on motorway with only 55kWh ?"

In winter, not a chance. Maybe in summer

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mc2022B2TF

78kwh battery versus a 55kwh achieving almost the same range

I know which one I would pick given the price to charge

People so fixated on range but forget about the actual cost to charge.

Efficency is king lads.

Like my m3 is about 40% more cost effective that anything in its class given the motorway driving I do.

I'm averaging 150 wh/km whereas my mate driving an id4 doing the same driving is at 230 wh/km

Bigger car. Less aerodynamic. Its a tradeoff. But for me I know what I'd prefer.

Even other mate has a mY and the same driving is at 185 wh/km.

Plus I'm finding very little differential between cold and warm weather due to the heat pump. I pre condition the battery for departure and the air con uses very little as a result. I've driven very cold mornings this week and still averaged 153 wh/km compared to 150 wh/km in warmer weather. The heat pump works

Simple.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

It’s Tesla regen that does it, around 32% of my range when I had a Model S was from regen (scan my Tesla), that’s just crazy recuperation

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Yes I used to question how they did it without "coasting" but coasting is an integral part of the one pedal tesla driving. It's obvious to me now. The computer is so advanced

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mun1

Have a 2021 Audi Q4 so going to give the Model Y a go if the price is right

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I saw 310km last weekend in not great conditions and about 75% motorway rest local. Note this was to the fake zero with 7kWh of buffer. If you're comfortable driving on zero - I wasnt with mrs and kids in car - you could see 350.

I started my Tesla ownership with a 2016 model S90D which at 4.2 0-60 was faster than any performance Bimmer, Z car or Yank Tank that I owned. I then sold that whilst moving house and replaced it with a slower but cooler IMO model x 75D. Replaced that - with money back in my pocket - for a new model 3. I love the range of the TM3, which, despite having the smallest battery of the 3 Teslas I owned, has the most range. I do however miss the utility. I'd also like a car with a towbar.

I'm now closer to 40 than 30, I think I'm passed the time of having an uncomfortable but fast daily. I have a large garage which I've started filling with classic/near classic cars for that type of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭innrain

My thoughts exactly. I know Tesla doesn't advertise and people always thought Teslas are expensive (i.e. 100k range) so an escape route for the other brands. But the basic spec of ID4 at nearly the same price with MY where in MY you have all the tech, the safety, the charging network and the stock is a bad deal. I don't like it necessarily, to me it looks like a cartoonish inflated Model3, but I'll get over it. It may not be suitable to all but the likes of EV6/ID4-5/Ioniq5/EtronQ4/Merc EQA/Enyaq it is a big threat. Even Niro and Kona wich are 10k less expensive are in trouble. Think of a MY as a taxi, large enough big boot all for about 30k ish. So very good that the competition heats up a bit in a market where people would buy whatever is available it comes as a breath of fresh air. We may see some prices drop in the future or at least smaller batteries coming to the market.

Wheres Unkle ? he’d have more detail, and have the knowledge on servicing backup, and many other considerations.

He got one alright. In fact I think he was the first to say he ordered it. :)

• Advertisement

@innrain - "I don't like it necessarily, to me it looks like a cartoonish inflated Model3"

Were you ever standing right beside one and did a walkabout? I thought exactly what you thought. The Model 3 is not a looker and the Model Y is just a bloated Model 3. But I completely changed my mind when I was with the one in Tesla Sandyford. In fact up close it looks more like a Model X was my first thought.

"He got one alright. In fact I think he was the first to say he ordered it. :)"

Ordered it 5 minutes after I was made aware of the price drop, at 09:41 AM last Friday 😁 I wasn't really up to scratch on knowledge on the Model Y back then, but have done some research since, the results are on this thread from the last 5 days

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭alan kelly

Changed my order from the LWD to the RWD. Literally a no brainer. Not doing big milage, working a lot from home. With the tow hitch it comes out just over 54k including the grant 😊. Hopefully due in February.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Correct choice, I’d switch from my 221M3 RWD except fo double hit of efficiency range loss and stupid buffer range loss

They are two different batteries you're mixing up. The BYD blade battery is smaller but has far higher efficiency. If you sell your Model 3 quickly (maybe to the trade), you are likely getting what you paid for it, or very close to it. Model Y will keep its value even better than Model 3 as the form factor is more popular and more practical and the cars have the benefits of being made in Germany.

221 M3 RWD has 510 WLTP (I know these numbers are jibberish but allow me a direct comparison), 231 MY RWD has 455 WLTP, take another 10% off this range if the new Y deliveries suffer same extra buffer similar to 222 M3 RWD and WLTP range is down to 410 WLTP.

Hence it’s a possibility of 410km WLTP range versus 510k for my current M3, that’s a 20% range loss and I’m not taking that on, I’ve enjoyed 3yrs of not having to fast charge pretty much but that range loss is too much for my driving patterns.

Once these cars make it on the road and we see real range figures then I may jump but at the moment all speculation

You haven't been reading the last few pages ;-)

The RWD Model Y we are getting is coming from Berlin and does not have the same CATL 60kWh battery that your made in China Model 3 has. It's getting the 55kWh BYD blade battery

• Registered Users Posts: 32 unabashed_goldfish

Just for giggles I got a trade in estimate for my 221 RWD Model 3 from Tesla. They came back with 40,400.

I know you could probably get more from another dealer but does make the prospect of trading up to a Model Y less appealing, unless another quote was substantially higher. Realistically when Berlin starts manufacturing Model 3s too that will also be another substantial price drop (just from import duty alone).

I have but all speculation, there’s nothing to say these early 2023 deliveries won’t be fulfilled from MIC Ys already produced and needing a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

I got a trade in estimate of 48k for a late 202 reg M3 SR (but 2021 version) only in August. Have ordered the model Y SR and resubmitted the trade in for estimate, expecting sub 40k now and god knows what that would be in Feb next year and if that's the case i'll be requesting my 250 back. I'd expect Tesla are going to see a lot of cancelled orders

• Advertisement

Not speculation, it's the only reasonable explanation for the price drop and it is fully consistent with the news on where Giga Berlin is at, what battery contracts Tesla is engaging in, etc. All the stuff that's been mentioned here in the last few days.

Not unless Tesla are going to sell those "already produced" Made in China cars in Ireland at considerably less profit. In other words, this is not going to happen. Any MIC RHD RWD Model Y will go to the UK (nowhere else in Europe). Anyone ordering a RWD Model Y here will get a made in Germany one. I would bet serious money on it. Or you can just quote me on this later. Maybe I'll have to eat my hat 😂

The only reason I could see playing devils advocate is that we would get overproduced UK cars, sold in the first or second quarter of the year so people still get the grant. Perhaps this is to clear stock for the new my rwd from berlin, which would then be sold perhaps more expensively

It just makes no financial sense, @ELM327. Tesla isn't going to take the hit of the €6-7k import duty and additional shipping cost if they don't have to. When they can just sell these in the UK and get their full margin on them.

Personally I'd gladly take a Made in China Model Y with the CATL battery for the same money we are paying, it's still a good deal. But I'd be near 100% convinced we will be getting the Made in Germany with the BYD battery. We shall see...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Have been expecting this to happen for a while now as Tesla got their manufacturing sorted out. 13k cost of change from 2 year old Model 3 to brand new Model Y sounds good in fairness. The situation where 1..3 year sold Model 3 are selling on similar price to new is unsustainable with the new cars being better (well they have now dropped some essential kit like the sensors) when they have pretty short lead times.

The market for second hand Model 3 had to eventually slow down. The S not so much as you can't buy them new and they have gotten very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I'm giving serious consideration to letting my 2020 M3 performance go and pick up the Y.

I'm guessing I should get close to or more than the 53 that the Y is selling for?

That's what I'm saying, I agree with you, just playing devil's advocate to see why they would - if they would - sell the MIC TMY here. I think it will be made in Germany cars, hence the delivery timing and the price drop.

I would think so, €53k or thereabouts. @Gumbo would have a very good idea as he is doing the exact same thing.

2020 M3P’s seem to be hovering around the €61k-€63k mark.

Tesla have a red one for sale at €62,850.

I bought mine in March, white with white interior and EAP for €55,200. They have offered €56,050 as trade against the MY SR which I have ordered in MSM.

Now that figure will no doubt be different next March so a judgement call will have to be made then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I got a brutal trade in value earlier in the year on mine from Tesla. I'd happily sell it privately or to zucar or likewise if I thought I'd get the same as my change cost.

• Advertisement

It might be worthwhile selling not to gain the most and live with a banger for a few months if serious about changing.

Advertisement