Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

unkel wrote: »
    Snip

I'd be cautiously optimistic that we will get a base Model Y (5 seater) with no extras for around the EUR48-49k mark

and so it begins! Two years of price speculations, tax calculations and marine watch :P

I’m another with 3 kids and dying for a proper roomy 5 seater EV that isn’t €90k (eTron, ipace, model S et al). My neighbour has a m3 and it’s simply too small for 3 kids.

However, Looking at the Y measurements, it lists rear shoulder room as 54”, which is between the golf and the Tiguan. I really hope it’s not just a tall narrow car.

https://www.tesmanian.com/blogs/tesmanian-blog/update-tesla-model-y-compete-measurement-with-interior-info

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

ELM327 wrote: »
    considering they are price 1-1.5k more than the equivalent M3 in the US I'd estimate take the M3 price here and add 2k EUR

Seriously, that's very good. I was expecting at least 5K. How that translates over here though? I'd expect this to absolutely destroy the 3's market if there's that little in it. As for the poster that asked about the third row; they're forward facing seats..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The only fly on the ointment for me is the lack of tow capability, which is pretty much official at this stage.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/4563156/

Despite the extra interior space, there's no easy way to take four bikes on a family holiday, or tow a small utility trailer, both of which the M3 can do easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lumen wrote: »
    The only fly on the ointment for me is the lack of tow capability, which is pretty much official at this stage.

Despite the extra interior space, there's no easy way to take four bikes on a family holiday, or tow a small utility trailer, both of which the M3 can do easily.

If hazard a guess and say that there will be an optional one available

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    If hazard a guess and say that there will be an optional one available

Ah yes. I see someone posted that:
    The instructions for towing the Model Y on Page 205 provide a warning about a "hitch receiver" conflicting with towing from the rear.

That would be pretty much my perfect car. Only four sleeps until my M3 arrives though. :):rolleyes:

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Ben Sullins vid

The Model Y now looks to me a lot like like a cheaper, more reliable, faster charging Model X, unless you really need the full 6 (7?) forward-facing seats.

It'll be interesting to see if they bother updating the X with a new drivetrain after they do the same with the S, or just let it wither and die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Its a lot bigger than I thought is would be. I think the 7 seat option will be expensive enough but this is going to be a winner in the fitz family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Ryath

unkel wrote: »
    We're the same. We managed fine in saloon cars with a boot (no hatchback) with 3 kids, but now we have a labrador we need a hatchback

Any pics of your dog? :)

He's more indulged than the kids!
    :)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112829877&postcount=2244

Hopefully it's added as an option later, it's a deal breaker for me to for carrying bikes. I'm not going back to using a rack with straps!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Aw man that puppy picture! :)

• Advertisement

Ryath wrote: »

I have one just the same 13 years old now. I remember the puppy days. Great dogs.

Rose when she was little

505584.jpg

Hope the mods don't mind, but having a dog is a major influence on choice of car, so it is kinda relevant for this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Really liking that extra boot space and practicality of a hatch, some nice extras too like power boot etc

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭PaulRyan97

If the RHD Model Y's will be coming from the Berlin Gigafactory, does that mean we'll have to switch from researching global maritime transport to monitoring European cargo trains?

First indepth review doesnt drive it. Brilliant, watched a man poorly use measuring tape for 14 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I think I found my favourite Tesla.

MS/MX - as much as I like the style and technology would have never been on my shopping list as they are way too big for my liking. I went to Tesla and had a proper look at the M3 - has a great look and feel. But still not what could make me happy enough to buy.
    I actually can not wait to see a TY in real. This will be a cracking family car and will sell well.
    Until it arrives in Ireland may come the time to change the L30 since the Soul is now the OHs favourite car...
    Roll on 2021-2022...

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Looks like the Model Y is the first Tesla to have a heat pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0eK2E_r2Jc&t=156s

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So, what is the reason, other than price, to pick this over an X?

The Model Y now looks to me a lot like like a cheaper, more reliable, faster charging Model X, unless you really need the full 6 (7?) forward-facing seats.

It'll be interesting to see if they bother updating the X with a new drivetrain after they do the same with the S, or just let it wither and die.
    Elon has said they will continue to make the S and X

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Efficiency maybe?

Better handling, faster charging, more reliable doors, better battery tech, maybe less degradation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Better handling, faster charging, more reliable doors, better battery tech, maybe less degradation?

The falcon wing doors might be unreliable for some but they’re super handy in family cars. It’s never been easier to get babies in and out of cars and it’s almost impossible for children to bang the foot of cars, walls, etc.

X will always be the daddy. Bigger, safer, faster, more comfortable, more luxurious, more upmarket and more status. And who cares about saving €100 per year in an EV that's more efficient if your depreciation alone is going to be thousands?

And we won't get any Y here in RHD for quite some time. I doubt it will be before 2022

ELM327 will be in a model X first I'd say :D

markpb wrote: »
    Efficiency maybe?

Efficiency yes, but people buy 7 series cars despite their lower efficiency vs 3/5

Betterhandling and faster charging, yes.
    Reliable doors? Lol
    Better tech is arguable but I don't see any argument for better degradation. Tesla current S and X batteries have been best performers for years.

The X is the flagship model and I can't see it being dropped. It's also nearly 1 second (2.6 vs 3.4 0-62) vs the model 3 performance, and the Yp is likely to be slower than the 3p.

The Y is in a different segment than the X. X is a full size SUV. Y is a CUV, and will compete on price with the top spec Kona/niro etc

There's only one thing that would stop me getting an X and that's a cybertruck. I have the tri motor with FSD pre ordered. If it comes in 2022 then I'll have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

any one who drivers a cybertruck here, deserves some serious credit! Would jump at it, if I could afford one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I will be trading in my Model 3 for the Y once available, unfortunately the better half prefers the cross over higher seating position and the hatchback would be handy for the shopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

• Advertisement

I'm liking the Y more and more tbh but it's no X (3.5s vs 2.6s for the performance models) and it's no cybertruck either

My next Tesla will be either an X or a Cybertruck. I've already preordered the tri motor cybertruck. 800hp and 500mile/800km range, it will be the real killer. More performance and double the range of my all time favorite fast saloon, the e60 M5.

Advertisement