Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Welcome to Ireland.

None of what you posted is available here (7 seats) and the pricing is what we can only dream of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

Took a MY for a spin today .. the wife wants to change the G20 330e next year. We had considered the i4 but by the time we had ticked the options list it just was too pricy for what we were willing to spend.

considered the 330e Estate but want to go full EV.

I was impressed by the Y and the price point .. decent car for reasonable money. Interior wise it is a step down from the G20 but I could live with that.

how realistic are the lead times that Tesla quote ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

I spoke with a friend on Monday who took delivery of his Model 3 on the 17th of September. His delivery date kept changing every other day practically. Original date was January. Was probably a cancellation as it's white on white spec.

On the down side, someone crashed into him last week and he's going to be without it for a few weeks until it's fixed. Not his fault luckily enough, but bloody annoying on a new car. 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It is a massive step down if you're used to bimmer level premium.

However they are likely available when they say, if not sooner. I ordered my new model 3 in August and the ETA was Q1 2023, I collected the car on the 9th of Sept!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭whippet

That step down is my main concern ... and I'm not sure how well the interior will wear.

I looked at the I4 and Ix when we were buying the X (car we had before the 3) and it's night and day IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The interiors wear well. They are just far more minimalist. I wouldn't call them economy, but they are simply not the premium level you'd get in a BMW. But as you say, you are now comparing cars that are tens of thousands in price difference comparing similar spec / range / performance cars.

+1 And you can get the cars as advertised, without the company chopping out spec or increasing prices (see the i4 thread)

• Advertisement

The interior on my 2014 Model S and 2016 Model S was on par with the interior of my 2014 F10.

The F10 is built with better materials, that’s for sure but both were in perfect condition with no wear, additional rattles etc

One thing though, the steering wheel on the F10, like all BMW’s is worn significantly compared to the no visible wear on the Model S’s wheels.

I had my father in laws 211 Eniro yesterday with 22k km on it and the wheel was significantly worn on that too. Even worse than the bmw and I’m a big fan of the eNiro.

Interesting you say that. I find the interiors of the early pre-facelift Model S sub par. Should have been far better on a car costing the guts of €100k. Hugely improved on the facelift models though, but not quite up to the standard of a large luxury BMW, but cleaner, slicker and more modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭CuriosityKilledtheCat

Out of interest, do customers get contacted by the finance company (HP so AIB I think) or do we have to contact them?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Bovakinn

All of my correspondence was with the Irish Tesla sales team. They sorted the finance with AIB for me, I just had to send them the required forms.

I agree that the materials used in the BMW feel more premium but over time I suppose I. Priced no wear on the Tesla that made it appear to be sub par.

As you know, you hear a lot more in the EV’s due to no engine and many people put that down to build quality when they are just so used to a ICE with a massive vibrating engine in front of them!

Post edited by Gumbo on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,819 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Funny you should say that @Gumbo

Wife has a 2021 BMW 840d and the steering wheel is disgracefully worn after around 10k kilometres. It's almost white in colour now. Premium product 🤔

It’s been a common issues with BMW over the years. My E60’s were the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Do you need to book a test drive of the MY or can you just rock up and check them out? With no news on our Ariya order we’re starting to look at alternatives. We’d normally book a slot but not sure when we’ll be able to get out on Sat just yet. We’re hoping to take a gander then. Cheers.

Can't say I have ever had that, even on high mileage BMWs, that said, mine were all older, my newest BMW was a 2004 E60. Not a rattly tractor either, I'm sure those stinky engines don't help with wear and tear 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

You just book online, not sure how close to the time you can do it. Better to book than waste a trip over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

It’s like night and day, if you are used to BMW, it will be hard to live with.

No issues with either of our 2021 BMW steering wheels or the previous ones we owned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

I got side tracked over here from the Ioniq 5 thread by TitianGerm 🙂

We drive a bit in Europe every summer and the hassle of navigating charging providers in multiple countries meant that we were already accepting having to use the Ionity network. With a MY instead of an i5 I suppose the Tesla SuperCharger network would become our go to network? It's coverage is a bit more extensive than Ionity for us. I guess also the MY will be a more efficient motorway cruiser and use fewer costly electrons?

Also, does the MY come with a granny cable and how much is the delivery charge?

Post edited by josip on

Here's a list of charges for my blue model Y coming in February.

Delivery is €980.

Total €54261.78

Not sure about the granny cable, but I think it comes with it.

@rx8 - snap! I've exact same colour and spec, also exact same total amount due 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

And yet my SIL who moved from a 6 series to an i4 a few months ago and loves it is considering a M3 after a short spin in mine. That premium BMW interior is a nice to have, but it comes at stupid money when you have to subscribe to BMW to heat the seats 🤣

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Yes it should come with a type 2 and a granny cable.

There's no additional delivery charge.

Have a look at abetterrouteplanner to compare the Ioniq vs the Tesla, just remember to select CCS for the Tesla as it always seems to reset it to supercharging only for some reason. Supercharging is great, just plug and walk away, very easy and reliable, car satnav does it all for you.

Looks like the Model Y should use around 10% less juice, maybe more on the motorway?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Looking at the EPA figures for highway driving at 70mph, the difference is 17% (17.6kwH/100 vs 21.4). At 120kph, I'd expect that difference to be 20%.

Post edited by josip on

@unkel , nice one... when did you order yours. Is delivery the same for you? Feb/March.

In what way is it hard to live with? The new BMW is made with recycled plastic too similar to the old i3 but goes a step further in the i4 half EV

You must be the only BMW driver in the world (based on every one of your previous posts) that has not suffered for any of the common and very common BMW faults.

Either that or you just love trolling Tesla posts, again based on previous posting history.

I’ll let others decide that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Spent the past week In the states. Model y’s everywhere. Far outnumbered s’s and 3’s. Gun metal grey looks really well with black wheels. As does white..

Advertisement