Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No, this is a result of the US requirement for insurance before collecting.

You can upload anything and it will automatically be approved

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Im at this stage also and wondering the same thing, do I take a picture of the insurance disc on my current car?

Post edited by staples7 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Yeah, sure I uploaded my current insurance cert and my renewal will come around before the car arrives.

How long before you get a VIN number and is it true that we're not getting parking sensors on the car, or is that just a Texas thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Are you asked for insurance on the Irish ordering page or do you get asked later? I can't see it, drivers license yes, but not the insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

My screenshot is from the payment process. The button under my screenshot leads you to card payment.

Look, it doesn't matter, but it's not what you could call transparent.

As SWMBO has declared that white seats must be included, the exterior has to be pearl white. So That's what I've ordered. Maybe the white boat will come sooner than the blue boat. 😋 I'm not a fan of white cars, and the Y isn't a pretty car, I'll just have to learn how to get into the car with my eyes closed. 😑

Anyway... on the acceleration topic. I knew the focus would be dragged to the 0-60 times. That's all people really focus on. My ID.3 would probably get off the line quicker, but be left behind after 1 second. The Y delivers the power more smoothly than the ID.3, and indeed the Polestar. If I overtake in the VW it snaps the power on, if you get what I'm saying. When I overtook in the Y, it kinda fed the power in a little more gradually. I'm not saying that the ID.3 is quicker than the Y, it's not, but when you floor it you get an instant push whereas in the Tesla (and ID.4, EV6, Ioniq 5 etc) it's a slightly smoother power delivery.

I'm probably not explaining it right, but it's definitely something I felt going from the Tesla to the ID.3, then on to the Polestar. The Polestar has the same snappy power delivery as the ID.3, but the ID.3 lays it down a little better due to RWD.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,315 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The website actually displays the full €60k price. You don’t have to go looking for any PDF at all.

The LR teslas I feel are restricted low down. That’s the only difference between them and the Performance models in my experience.

the P models snap you back if your not expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭eagerv

Hi Silent. Out of the country atm so haven’t been up to date with Boards.

Great to see you have ordered the Y. I don’t think you will be disappointed. I hear what you say about the Tesla power delivery. It’s very docile at slow speeds compared to the VW. You could kick out the back with the id3 if you so desired 😊. But the Tesla, well my Model 3 anyway, is great after that.

Colour is totally up to the individual but personally I like a bright colour so there is not much else but the white or silver. Easier to stay looking clean I find. And the Tesla white is a sparkling multi coat, after 8 months mine is still perfect, not even a stone chip as yet.

I uploaded a pic in the Ioniq 5 thread a few weeks ago of a white Y beside our Ioniq 5 , the missus was very impressed.

Edit It was this thread I posted the pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,388 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

@Silent Running - I know exactly what you're saying, the power delivery is very different per EV and often not well described by giving the 0-60 figure. Ioniq 28kWh was always good low down, but ran out of steam very quickly. Tesla Model 3 and Model Y AWD not so much but they keep going with all that traction. As @Gumbo said, the Tesla Performance cars are the only ones with an instant punch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Free upgrades is a discount, demand is falling so there is only one tried and trusted way to move the metal, just like the discounts in China - shocking naivety

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Back to trolling again 🙄

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

Did anyone order a White Model Y with a Tow Bar and get it for the 1.350 Advertised? It comes up at closer to 1.450 when I look. There seems to be additional VRT due of approx. 100 Euro.

It looks that way alright. The cost of 1350 is added before VRT and hence the 54,322 price. It’s effectively a 1,452 option!

It makes it near the same price to install afterwards so I’d personally spec something else (white interior or colour) and then just pay the 1500 once you collect the car. It’s been confirmed in the group that the tow can be fitted after collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Was test driving this morning and he said it was cheaper to add the tow bar after delivery as no VRT, cost would be 1350.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Cheaper option here if you’re capable of fitting it yourself or getting someone to fit locally for a reasonable rate.

https://etowbars.com/uk/Towbars/Tesla-Towbars/Tesla-Model-Y-Towbars/Tesla-Model-Y-Invisible-Towbar

Quicksilver Model Y already being produced in Germany, looks like a bunch of P models here:

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

33% of the cars are in white. 5 of 42 in Silver, hard to see the others, they could be blue or black.

It’s €1500 after collection. You can see it in the app of your account.

• Advertisement

Seems a lot of cash for a towbar given most Tesla owners seem to use them for bike carriers

I’ve no idea why people use tow bars. They are for country folk in my experience.

I mostly see them Being used to tow trailers though on vans, jeeps and work horses, not in everyday family saloons.

What other brands use tow bars? What do they use them for?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

We haven't seen anything yet. A $50k Tesla Model Y could very well be the world's best selling car next year, displacing the $25k Toyota Corolla which has held top spot for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

“Still, Tesla has become one of the most profitable automakers in the world. Though its net profit fell short of Mercedes-Benz's in July-September, it outearned both BMW and Volkswagen. Its net profit margin came to 15% for the quarter.

Tesla's success stems largely from the profitability of each of its cars. The Toyota group sold 2.62 million vehicles in the quarter, 7.6 times as many as Tesla's 344,000. But its net profit per vehicle came to around $1,200 -- just one-eighth of Tesla's $9,570. Tesla is believed to lead the industry in terms of net profit per vehicle sold, even ahead of players like Mercedes-Benz.”

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

Us Country folk are People too!!

Personally I have always had a Towbar on 1 car in the house, Multiple uses and when you need it you need it. I have a 6X4 trailer and a dog trailer that I bought approx 20 years ago and I would not be without them. They has outlasted many changes of car!

Including but not limited to;

-Collecting bulky items

-Getting Ride on Lawnmower serviced or repaired

-Debris or rubbish to local Waste collection point- much cheaper than a skip.

-Availing of Council Initiatives such as Free Mattress Recycling from time to time

-Garden waste disposal

-Delivering Timber to elderly in-laws for firewood

-Mucky gundogs in the wet months

-Thule Bike Rack also

Not for me but

-Caravan.

I think I'm not untypical of lots of people who might be interested in a Model Y and need to factor in the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Definitely cheaper even including the wiring kit, but you still have to pay to get it fitted, but not as nice a solution as the official Tesla kit that is hidden behind the access hatch in the diffuser, also not sure how well it integrates with the car as with the official kit you get a trailer mode in the screen options, I’m guessing but I may be wrong that a 3rd party hitch won’t do that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Certified City Slicker here, definitely a neater solution to mount 3-4 bikes on a hitch mounted rack than trying to get them all on the roof with bars and individual racks and you remove the problem with muck and crap falling off the bikes onto your car, if I get the Y would definitely get the hitch before next summer

A towbar is definitely useful to have but I’d find it hard to justify €1500 for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Bif

Will Tesla 3 prices reduce as a result of Tesla Y sales success?

Advertisement