Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

if you are curious about the Model Y insides you can follow the teardown by Munro & Associates (not an April's fool - they did the same for the Model 3)

https://munrolive.com/munrolive

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I heard today that Sandy himself just bought a Model Y. Maybe that's his personal car :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

if you are curious about the Model Y insides you can follow the teardown by Munro & Associates (not an April's fool - they did the same for the Model 3)

Yes, been looking at his videos on the Munro Live YouTube channel. Really interesting, and he’s impressed with it, by and large.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Brera

Some great videos there.

It’s really interesting when you compare them to the model 3 teardown they carried out.

I just can’t seem to understand at this stage why Tesla hasn’t managed to sort out its paint job. Looking at his videos of the model Y it seems to be the only major issue.

The rest seem to minor problems with alignment issues which I’m sure can be sorted out. Remember that the model being used for the teardown will be an early production model and Tesla should improve it as they ramp up.

The data from the crash tests will be really interesting to see when it comes out. The front end changes look they are not just designing the car to pass the crash tests but going well beyond them.

I wonder to Tesla do much analysis when one of their cars is crashed like Volvo.

All in all it really does look like it is one quality car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Brera wrote: »
    Some great videos there.

It’s really interesting when you compare them to the model 3 teardown they carried out.

I just can’t seem to understand at this stage why Tesla hasn’t managed to sort out its paint job. Looking at his videos of the model Y it seems to be the only major issue.

The rest seem to minor problems with alignment issues which I’m sure can be sorted out. Remember that the model being used for the teardown will be an early production model and Tesla should improve it as they ramp up.

The data from the crash tests will be really interesting to see when it comes out. The front end changes look they are not just designing the car to pass the crash tests but going well beyond them.

I wonder to Tesla do much analysis when one of their cars is crashed like Volvo.

All in all it really does look like it is one quality car.

Some good videos alright. The frunk issue was really poor though. Just think how pissed off you would be if that was your brand new car.

I think the Y will be my first Tesla too. Probably early 2022 if the fanbois have been dealt with and the car can be ordered for soonish delivery.

Maybe German built cars won't have the slapdash repairs like the realignment of the frunk clearly done at the factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Brera

Some good videos alright. The frunk issue was really poor though. Just think how pissed off you would be if that was your brand new car.

I think the Y will be my first Tesla too. Probably early 2022 if the fanbois have been dealt with and the car can be ordered for soonish delivery.

Maybe German built cars won't have the slapdash repairs like the realignment of the frunk clearly done at the factory.

I wonder where will the right hand drive cars be built. Hopefully Germany.

There are a few more videos appearing on YouTube of early cars with some paint problems but so far the rest do seem to be alignment problems.

If I was fortunate enough to be in position to buy a Tesla right now I would be inclined to buy the Y.

I don’t need the extra space and would prefer the lower ride of height of the 3 but the engineering changes to the Y and the inclusion of heat pump make it a better proposition in my humble opinion.

Brera wrote: »
    and the inclusion of heat pump make it a better proposition in my humble opinion.

Heatpump is way overrated in a mild climate like ours, particularly when you can pre-heat the car (all EVs can, provided you have a chargepoint at home)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Heat pump is brilliant in climates like ours. Where it's overrated is where the avg temperature is below 0. Heat pumps work at their best above 3-4 degrees C. Below that, you're using a ptc heater anyway./

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Preheating via the app works really well but perhaps it's a case of once you've had it you can't live without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1248132730614939653?s=20

Obvious enough really but confirmation from the horses mouth that we wont see Model Y here until Giga Berlin is up and running... so late 2021, early 2022 is the likely first delivery timeframe for Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

..by which time Model X used values will be tempting...

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    ..by which time Model X used values will be tempting...
    It will be timed here similar to the S v 3, where used S values are similar to the range of new 3 models

KCross wrote: »
    Obvious enough really but confirmation from the horses mouth that we wont see Model Y here until Giga Berlin is up and running... so late 2021, early 2022 is the likely first delivery timeframe for Ireland.

I've said that all along. The good thing is that this will avoid the import duties that make the Model 3 too expensive for what it is over here. The bad thing is that it will take a long time. And developments at the Berlin Gigafactory have just been halted again.

It looks the Giga Berlin will have a better paint shop

https://insideevs.com/news/409758/giga-berlin-most-advanced-paint-shop/

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Preheating via the app works really well but perhaps it's a case of once you've had it you can't live without it.
    I had 2 EVs with heat pump and my S is the first not to have it.
    The app is great but unless you're heating the battery and car for 30min+ it doesnt have enough effect to make up for the heat pump in terms of efficiency

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Saw a model Y on the road today, nearly fell onto the road staring it, thing of beauty!

You in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Ireland! I cant understand how there's one here considering they're only just released!

You are certain it was a Model Y? Did you take a pic? Or get a look at the number plate? Model Y is not selling in Europe until next year afaik and RHD probably not until 2022 at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

when do the folk in the know reckon they'll be available to order in Ireland? probably sometime around summer next year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

when do the folk in the know reckon they'll be available to order in Ireland? probably sometime around summer next year?

All Model Y's for European countries will come from Gigafactory Berlin. So, none will be supplied until a) that factory is complete and fitted out, b) has started producing Model Y's to consumers and c) is ready to do Right-Hand-Drive Model Y's (almost certainly they will focus on LHDs at the start).

I'm thinking 2022 at the earliest.

There's no Y in ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

youngblood wrote: »
    Ireland! I cant understand how there's one here considering they're only just released!

Spec savers is this way ——— - - ->

Unless someone has shrank their X and put a M3 front on it, it wasnt a Y

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

ELM327 wrote: »
    Unless someone has shrank their X and put a M3 front on it, it wasnt a Y

Isn't that what Elon did?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Most likely a Model 3 (or perhaps a Model X).

reports of poor quality on Model Y
    @1min in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONE-LTZxxr0&feature=emb_logo

Commentary suggests that Tesla need to ship and are intentionally shipping poor quality product.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is a video of a model Y in Germany. It was imported from USA and has USA charger not compatible with European chargers. Potentially that could be in Ireland under testing. This vehicle will be used by Tesla competitors available to hire to check it out. It cannot be hired by general public. They have tested many non released EVs in Ireland typically based out of a Sligo hotel. Some have camouflage paintwork. It is unlikely but there is one in Netherlands too

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-europe-first-look-autopilot-supercharger-tests/amp/

https://insideevs.com/news/425607/tesla-model-y-germany-autobahn-range-test/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

reports of poor quality on Model Y
    @1min in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONE-LTZxxr0&feature=emb_logo

Commentary suggests that Tesla need to ship and are intentionally shipping poor quality product.

Intentionally suggests that’s their goal. It isn’t. They just seem to want to get them out the door. Regardless of condition. I was watching a video yesterday of a tear down of a 3. Shocking state of affairs. Tesla just scored lowest manufacturer in the latest JD Power quality survey.

Edit. I kinda want to see Michael Keaton’s Gung Ho now.

Advertisement