Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was watching a video yesterday of a tear down of a 3. Shocking state of affairs.

Was it one of the earlier 3's which were indeed dogged with production issues.

Issues that have largely been resolved over the last 6-8 months..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Are people really surprised by the poor quality of the initial shipments? It's not like Tesla don't have form for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

zg3409 wrote: »
    There is a video of a model Y in Germany. It was imported from USA and has USA charger not compatible with European chargers. Potentially that could be in Ireland under testing. This vehicle will be used by Tesla competitors available to hire to check it out. It cannot be hired by general public. They have tested many non released EVs in Ireland typically based out of a Sligo hotel. Some have camouflage paintwork. It is unlikely but there is one in Netherlands too

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.teslarati.com/tesla-model-y-europe-first-look-autopilot-supercharger-tests/amp/

https://insideevs.com/news/425607/tesla-model-y-germany-autobahn-range-test/

You can now buy grey market adapters to use EU superchargers on US teslas.

Quality Control are supposed to stop the line where needed to fix the process which is producing poor quality product.
    They obviously are not empowered to do that as Tesla needs to register sales in the quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

Quality Control are supposed to stop the line where needed to fix the process which is producing poor quality product.
    They obviously are not empowered to do that as Tesla needs to register sales in the quarter.

Or maybe all these faults are within tolerance, ie attached to the car => okay.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    Or maybe all these faults are within tolerance, ie attached to the car => okay.
    If that is their threshold then you'd be better off staying with manufacturers from Korea, Japan or Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

My earlier sighting during lockdown of the Tesla was confirmed to be a Tesla X today, only 8 mins down the road and it's just a beaut, got a spin today...... Heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭carloscorreia

Elon Musk twitted that the Berlin built Model Y "is a revolution in automotive body engineering"

https://electrek.co/2020/07/10/elon-musk-tesla-german-built-model-y-is-revolution-auto-body-engineering/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Elon Musk twitted that the Berlin built Model Y "is a revolution in automotive body engineering"

Freudian slip?

:P

He says lots of daft things though. He hasn't even redesigned the laughable cup holder in the Model 3/Y yet :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭mrbongo

Kramer wrote: »
    He hasn't even redesigned the laughable cup holder in the Model 3/Y yet :rolleyes:.

Yes, the cup holder should be Elon's top priority, it's what's holding Tesla back no doubt /s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Will German engineering know how rub off on Tesla in their Berlin factory?

How did they end up in Germany anyway? There's surely lower cost countries they could have chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭KCross

JPA wrote: »

How did they end up in Germany anyway? There's surely lower cost countries they could have chosen.

They bought a German engineering company a year or two ago so yes is the answer I’d say.... google Grohmann engineering.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭elektrik

JPA wrote: »

The goal is to have a production line as automated as possible, and sometime in the far?/near? future have it completely automated (hence Grohmann Automation)

In that case it becomes counterproductive to choose countries based solely on their low cost of manual labour and it becomes much more important to be based in a diametrically opposite country, one that is politically, economically, socially and educationally as stable as possible.

Plus German engineering,
    + their OCD level obsession with everything being perfect
    + land in Berlin being way cheaper than other places in Germany
    + infrastructurally being in the heart of Europe
    + new European go-to place for young professionals and designers
    = BERLIN

mrbongo wrote: »
    Yes, the cup holder should be Elon's top priority, it's what's holding Tesla back no doubt /s

It would be a priority if you had a lap full of scorching hot coffee within seconds of leaving the services :p.

But yes, I agree, Tesla should not be criticized or questioned for their many shortcomings.

My sincerest apologies for any offense caused.

Looking forward to redesigned cup holders in German built Model Ys in the coming years.

:).

Model Y RWD coming soon...

I thought that was RHD at first glance & thought what the heck would the yanks do with RHD :pac:.

.....or a gearstick, .....or clutch.....or roundabout.......or voting.......

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

US price drop of the LR AWD from USD52,995 to USD49,995. That's a full USD10k cheaper than the Ford Mach-E

Looks like Tesla is doing to the competition what some people thought the competition would do to Tesla (kill it) a few years ago

Interesting times! Pity we won't get the Model Y here in Europe until at least 2022. That's a very long time away...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I was watching a few reviews of the MY Performance. Man does it look good in midnight silver metallic with the black uber turbines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

unkel wrote: »
    US price drop of the LR AWD from USD52,995 to USD49,995. That's a full USD10k cheaper than the Ford Mach-E

Looks like Tesla is doing to the competition what some people thought the competition would do to Tesla (kill it) a few years ago

Interesting times! Pity we won't get the Model Y here in Europe until at least 2022. That's a very long time away...

I've seen a few in the wild starting to pop up (Bay Area, California) and they are FUGLY! Just don't have the sleekness and lines of the 3, nor the large size of the X. It's a compromise model for me... Mach-E even though more expensive I think will still be very competitive.

I've seen a few in the wild starting to pop up (Bay Area, California) and they are FUGLY! Just don't have the sleekness and lines of the 3, nor the large size of the X. It's a compromise model for me... Mach-E even though more expensive I think will still be very competitive.

Model 3 is no looker either, yet it is the best selling vehicle where you are, in California.

• Advertisement

Model 3 is no looker either, yet it is the best selling vehicle where you are, in California.

Well, it's nicer than the Y. It has nicer proportions etc...

The amount of model 3s here is ridiculous. You go into any car park at any time and you're guaranteed to see at least 15 to 20. Driving to and from work is a model 3 parade. Lots of people bought them when their tech company shares paid out. Though, because there are lots around, people are customising and wrapping them in different colours and styles. Some cool jobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭3d4life

Not the Euro version but for 5 bucks ....

There was a Y charging beside me yesterday when I came back to pick up my car. Still not a major fan of the look, but the white is definitely nicer than the blue paint job that I saw a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

graememk wrote: »
    California?

Yeah... Dublin. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

That doesn't feel right to me. If only there was even a ski hatch so it could stick its head into the cabin a bit and see the people?

Although that wouldn't work if 3 people sit in the back. But I'm only new to owning dogs, maybe experienced owners could give their opinion on dog in boot?

Dog's tend to like den's so it's not the worst in the world, it's why kennels and crates work well for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

That doesn't feel right to me. If only there was even a ski hatch so it could stick its head into the cabin a bit and see the people?

Linky

Although that wouldn't work if 3 people sit in the back. But I'm only new to owning dogs, maybe experienced owners could give their opinion on dog in boot?

He is like a missile waiting to launch out of its silo in the event of an accident.

Aye, I know. We have a proper solid fitted dog guard made specifically for our car:

41-L8peQKML._AC_.jpg

• Advertisement

Advertisement