Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,934 ✭✭✭✭josip

Seriously, how could you give up a car like that for a family wagon like the Model Y RWD? In our case, coming from a Leaf it's a step up and the most exciting car we will probably ever own. Complete no-brainer as long as I can find enough loose change down the back of the sofa. But if I was in either you and unkel's positions I don't think I could bring myself to do it. It'd be like accepting that life from now on is slippers in front of the fire with Rover bringing the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,382 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

He'd likely keep it for well less than a year and then sell on. If by then the €5k subsidy is gone, he'll likely get at least what he paid back, probably a grand or two more. Free car. Some of us do this for sport / the challenge and @Gumbo is particularly skilled at this game 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Think the Y is around 6th best selling car in the world this year, which is a pretty good benchmark 😁

Few spots behind the Model 3 though

Quite possibly the best selling car in the world next year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Im still 50/50.

But I could do with the bigger MY with the kids etc.

Also, I’ve been in your shoes. I’ve done the fast car thing, plenty of them over the years so I don’t have to get that out of my system as such anymore.

I can swap into the MY, get cash back and sell in a year if required and I don’t think I’d loose anything.

Or I can just keep the M3P as that’s under bumper to bumper warranty until 2025 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

I am at the other end to you.. Had the sporty things when single/ married and one child, then moved to the estates and Superbs etc when needed more space with two kids, bikes etc. Now rarely more than two in my car, so Model 3 is ideal. Would seriously consider a LR or P next, but to be honest perhaps I should be thinking of the easier access of the Y as I age..😁

🤣

Im not old enough for that just yet but I do like swapping and changing. We have a G30 5 series PHEV too so space wise is not the main driver.

Herself doesn’t like teslas at all. She likes physical buttons!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm less than 50/50, UK forums are killing the lack of parking sensors, I'll leave my deposit there for the time being and ignore the countless texts and emails Tesla keep sending me. Won't have a car without parking sensors that work in total darkness and blinding low sun and with blocked cameras.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Same, let's see what happens over the next few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

Could you put the link please? This sensor thing is super f annoying as park assist does not work at all at the moment until they software update it. Ffs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭eagerv

Herself likes certain things with my Tesla, but overall prefers the look of her Ioniq 5. Will be in Belfast Sunday till Tues so I will see if I can change her mind when we SuC up there on Tues am. They had every colour I think (Apart from the new colours) of Model Y last time I was there a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭rx8

Why are Tesla texting you. Have you cancelled your order?

Has anyone else had emails/texts from them. I haven't heard a thing.

No, nothing. And you won’t until the end.

Unless you haven’t filled in some details on the account page.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Tempted to just stick the id4 up on Donedeal now and test the waters.. probably a bit early yet. Might be an able to borrow something to keep me going though…..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭joe1303l

I’d put it up on DD fast if you don’t have a realistic option to trade it in. Dealers already have a lot of used ID4’s sitting in forecourts and I’d say there will be a lot more of them coming on to the market in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

I just sold mine off DD. Ended up being sold into the trade. Got back what we paid for it 2 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭staples7

Good to know! Was it up for long? I’ve seen A blue first edition sell in limerick priced at 44k sell recently. Wasn’t her was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭E30M3

Having read the thread I was wondering if anyone has gotton an insurance quote yet or checked?

On the UK Forums folks are suggesting it is significantly more expensive that their xisting car (irrespective of the make/Model)

Maybe this only applies to models with self driving etc.

The insurance companies don’t ask if it has EAP or FSD so they have no way of knowing here.

Re. Prices.

You have to ring them all. Insurance is so individual that the best company for me may be the worse for you.

I was paying €212 on an i3, €236 on my 2 Performance Model S’s and €390 on the Model 3 Performance.

All significantly cheaper than any ICE I’ve owned before.

• Advertisement

It's the other way around. Not applicable in Ireland or the UK as the insurers don't ask that question, but when my mate bought his first Tesla in 2019 in continental Europe, he paid €1000 extra for autopilot that wasn't standard equipment yet. His insurer did ask and he got a substantial discount because of having autopilot. Even though the car was worth €1000 more. Even back then it was already substantially safer than humans, and the insurance companies had the proof / data for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Dasein

just ordered a used M3 from Tesla website

Long Range AWD, June 2021, facelift, Shanghai build

Black on black with 23k kilometres for €54k

I was looking at a lot of different options as a second car - closest was i4 demo - but at €83k a bit less range (and no Tesla supercharger network) I just couldn't justify it - was then leaning towards a Model Y - which I would have gone for if they hadn't sabotaged the park distance controllers 😂

(I even looked at a green taycan turbo s that Porsche Dublin are selling - 2020 but with no miles on it at all - couldn't believe it didn't even have adaptive cruise control 😱)

reckon the M3 will do 90% of what I need for a pretty fair price (considering the current market)

as usual, can't say enough positive about this forum, been a huge help to me 🤙

Post edited by Dasein on

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Foreign Sports

I was looking at that one myself 😉

Fair play, I'm sure it will serve you very well and I agree it's a good price at the moment too.

Well wear and make sure to send on some pics when it arrives!

haha! sorry buddy!

I'm sure a lot more 2021 M3s will start popping up now as we go into the new year; def seemed to me that it was worth paying the smallish premium for a facelift - also seemed that Tesla website were cheaper than most non-tesla dealers - which is weird considering Tesla give you an extra year factory warranty

I'd have liked a Performance but it's a lot more cash and I think the suspension/wheels would just be too much for my missus

If I were in the market for a RWD Model 3, I would wait to buy a few months, see how the price goes. I expect them to lose about 5k in the next 3-4 months

Well wear, sounds like a lovely car. A long range should do serious distance even at motorway speeds. What warranty in terms of years/kms would it have left on say battery/drivetrain ?

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hi, I assume there's no PCP finance from Tesla? Do third parties arrange?

He bought a 2021 car so it has full bumper to bumper warranty as standard, normally until 2025.

Full battery and drivetrain warranty until 2029.

And because it’s a CPO, the bumper to bumper warranty continues for an extra year after the initial 4 year warranty, so 2026 in this case.

Battery and drivetrain warranty used to be unlimited miles, but that's no longer the case. It's 8 years or earlier if you hit:

RWD Model 3 and Model Y are limited to 160k km and the higher end Model 3 and Model Y 192k km and the Model S / X 240k km

• Advertisement

yeah the range, even at >125km/h, is really good ... at the price there is nothing that comes close I think

warranty was also a big plus for me: car was registered sep 2021 so it has four years standard warranty, plus 1 year for used approved purchase, meaning I'm covered until sep 2026!

Advertisement