Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭paulmurphyvec

I haven't seen the Tesla model Y in Ireland yet! Is the Tesla model Y be available in Europe any time soon?
    What a car that is. 🚗⚡🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I haven't seen the Tesla model Y in Ireland yet! Is the Tesla model Y be available in Europe any time soon?
    What a car that is. ��⚡��

All Model Y for Europe will be manufactured in Gigafactory Berlin. This factory is only being built now. I wouldn't expect a RHD Tesla Model Y on Irish plates until 2022

Once we get the Berlin ones and not the China ones that's ok!

Dunno about that. There's a lot to say for the cheaper, sturdier and safer (but slightly heavier) LiFePo4 batteries and a car possibly sold for thousands less because it's cheaper to make it over in China.

• Advertisement

I've been reading the pros and cons of that different chemistry and it seems a lot of trade off for minimal benefit beyond cost.
    It requires much more fettling (a full charge every week, slower fast charging, more heat loss, heavier so less efficient) compared to existing cells.

And I've been quite vocal (and lambasted for it) about my opinion on Chinese built cars online, I'd never buy one.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I've been quite vocal (and lambasted for it) about my opinion on Chinese built cars online, I'd never buy one.

That will limit you to just Ferraris, Porsches and Lamborghinis in just a decade or two :p

Or garbage US trucks

I'd be perfectly happy with a "garbage" US truck or a porsche cayenne. No way will I put me or my family in a china made car.

"Made In China" is synonymous with brilliance and safety!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Still living in the 80s, eh?

We didnt have any Chinese cars here in the 80's, this is a recent thing.

• Advertisement

Indeed. Very outdated view. Pretty much everything with electronics in it is built in China now. I guess you don't own any mobile phone, laptop or cordless hoover then either, ELM327 or at least not keep any of them inside your house where your family is in case the lithium batteries go on fire? :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    Indeed. Very outdated view. Pretty much everything with electronics in it is built in China now. I guess you don't own any mobile phone, laptop or cordless hoover then either, ELM327 or at least not keep any of them inside your house where your family is in case the lithium batteries go on fire? :pac:
    Do you drive your iphone?
    Risk of crashing in your laptop?

Of course all my tech stuff is made in china. But you don't risk crashing in it and relying on a china made crumple zone to save your life.

The fact that Teslas have been made in the USA was a major selling point to me. Whatever about a eurowagon made in Deutschland (I'm part German but that's another story) I wouldnt ever ever ever buy a made in china Tesla - or any car made in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

People used say the same about Japanese cars. Personally, I'd be extremely reticent about buying an American made car. A Tesla made in China or Germany can only be a better built product than what their spitting out at the moment in Fremont.

Yeah I'd be nearly thinking the same myself. A German built and even a Chinese made car from the same manufacturer are likely going to be far better built than the rubbish standards they have in the US. Even when a fairly stringent manufacturers like BMW and Mercedes had car plants setup in the states, the quality of the vehicles was appalling (Z3 / M-class)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

Seems like the initial reliability and quality of the model Y is pretty awful.
    Consumer Reports ranked Tesla bottom of all manufacturers back in the summer, which was though to be driven by the S and X but it seems it’s also due to the Y.
    The 3 is the only model with a buy recommendation.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19/tech/tesla-model-y-reliability-consumer-reports/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

sk8board wrote: »
    Seems like the initial reliability and quality of the model Y is pretty awful.
    Consumer Reports ranked Tesla bottom of all manufacturers back in the summer, which was though to be driven by the S and X but it seems it’s also due to the Y.
    The 3 is the only model with a buy recommendation.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/19/tech/tesla-model-y-reliability-consumer-reports/index.html

Nearly every video I watch on YouTube on the Y is just a litany of the cars failures. The thing is these guys are nearly all super positive on Tesla as a company, and try to be somewhat optimistic on the Y. “It’s the best car I’ve owned” and then proceeds to detail the fourth time it’s been booked in for repairs for the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

I see they've released the standard range version eventually in the US.
    230 miles @$42k and RWD, 5.9 0-60 so same as the M3 SR+ version I guess.
    I presume they'll make that model available here when it does eventually arrive, surely it will be the biggest selling version for them.

They're only releasing it because the VW ID4 is hitting the market and undercutting them significantly in their domestic market.

It'll be at least another year before we're getting the RHD Model Y in Ireland as it will be made in gigafactory Berlin. Interesting to see what happens though. Looks like 2021 / 2022 will finally bring some decent supply of EVs and competition. Bring it on!

They're only releasing it because the VW ID4 is hitting the market and undercutting them significantly in their domestic market.

What's the story there with the very generous federal tax credits? I guess they are gone now for Model Y, but still available for ID.4? Model Y is a more premium car than ID.4 with far more up to date technical features, but if the latter is thousands cheaper after tax for similar range, it's game on.

• Advertisement

Thanks, so $7,500 tax credit for the ID.4 and none for the Tesla.

That should give VW a nice boost in the market there. Hopefully the people have forgiven / forgotten about the diesel cheating scandal or reckon VW have paid the price in billions and billions of penalties

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Thanks, so $7,500 tax credit for the ID.4 and none for the Tesla.......

Then again Tesla do seem to have something going on with Fiat Crysler

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiat-chrysler-tesla-eu-idUSKCN1RJ03I

( buy a Tesla and get a subsidy from Fiat :D )

Yeah that is ending now but was lucrative when still going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

By the time the Y arrives here, there’ll be plenty ID.4’s around and Tesla will have lost their early mover advantage in a car segment for the first time ever. If it’s expensive by comparison, then they’ll be limited to those with deposits and the tesla-only boys (big overlap, obviously).

We’re coming up on the FIFTH anniversary of putting a deposit on a model 3, and Ireland only has about 600 of them delivered, many of them to fleets.

It feels like Tesla might start to get overtaken in 2021 by the late delivery of the Y, and it’s one of only two new cars they’ll make for years to come. Sales of S and X are almost nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Is undercutting the correct word when they selling a much lower spec model ?

The SR they released is more comparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

We’re coming up on the FIFTH anniversary of putting a deposit on a model 3, and Ireland only has about 600 of them delivered, many of them to fleets..

Is it really only 600? I must see 3 or 4 a day. ( not the sane ones )

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's 911 Model 3's between 2019 and 2020.

There are about the same number of Tesla Model 3's as their are Renault Zoe's

By the time the Y arrives here, there’ll be plenty ID.4’s around

Aye. I for one think it is brilliant that VW has gone full swing for EVs only and that they are now producing competent cars like the ID.3 and ID.4. Not so sure if you can compare the ID.4 with the Model Y though on a like for like basis

We shall see in maybe about a year when the Model Y lands here for the first time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Sam W

Aye. I for one think it is brilliant that VW has gone full swing for EVs only and that they are now producing competent cars like the ID.3 and ID.4. Not so sure if you can compare the ID.4 with the Model Y though on a like for like basis

We shall see in maybe about a year when the Model Y lands here for the first time

The disappointing services I received from VW last month converted me to a Tesla owner. At least in Tesla nobody was rushing me into anything and I really liked the sales model there, where I could talk to any staff and everyone is ready to serve me.

Also the internal feel in the ID.3 is really plastic everywhere and I prefer the touch and feel in Tesla Model 3 a lot more. Don’t know if ID.4 is going to be a lot different though but the VW salesperson told me the ID.3 and 4 are going to be ‘almost identical’ with the exception of the space in the car.

Not really sure about the price for Model Y yet, but in China the ID.4 has an estimated price of 250K CNY and the Model Y LR is 340K CNY.

Advertisement