Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model Y

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yes, ID.3 and ID.4 are econoboxes, very cheap feeling and looking. From the materials used to the stickers on the outside. Nothing wrong with that, but the semi-premium quality that Volkswagen cars used to have, even the Golf, is well and truly gone. Tesla Model 3 / Y aren't Rolls-Royces either, but the feel is a lot more premium than these new Volkswagens.

What were your disappointing services?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,989 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I agree with that Unkel but Tesla are solely lacking premium feel even in the S. The 3 I sat in in Sandyford (MY21 version) was very non premium too.

Yes, the X and S are better now than they used to be but neither feel anywhere near on a par with similar priced cars from BMW / Audi / Mercedes

I believe the ID.4 interior is a lot better than the id.3.

The thing that p1sses me off about Tesla is that they're too far away from me where in 10 mins I can be in the local VW dealer which is great when you need to hand the car back for work.

Having to go to Frank Keane on the Naas road is a pain in the arse even though I work in Dublin it's still a pain to get out where with VW I could hand it in Friday evening.

Frank only once or twice gave me an i3 while my car was in for work and I was really annoyed by this. It has to go in soon for Service and I'm really dreading it to be honest.

A lot to be said for having a dealer close by.

I believe the ID.4 interior is a lot better than the id.3.

The thing that p1sses me off about Tesla is that they're too far away from me where in 10 mins I can be in the local VW dealer which is great when you need to hand the car back for work.

Having to go to Frank Keane on the Naas road is a pain in the arse even though I work in Dublin it's still a pain to get out where with VW I could hand it in Friday evening.

Frank only once or twice gave me an i3 while my car was in for work and I was really annoyed by this. It has to go in soon for Service and I'm really dreading it to be honest.

You do realise Tesla have mobile "Rangers" that come to your home / place of work? I have no experience of them myself but they seem to have a good reputation and they seem to be able to do many jobs on site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I genuinely don't know, but do VW's have a reputation of needing to go back to dealers for work regularly? Didn't the ID.3 need to go back for a software update (though I believe that might just have been a once off).

The one issue I've had with the Model 3 since getting it 10 month ago was a rear light that was fogged up, The Ranger came and replaced it while the car was sitting in my driveway, and I was sitting on a conference call. (I'm in north county Dublin, and Sandyford would be a pain in the ar$e to have to go to for me during the day).

I reckon if the Model Y hits Ireland in the SR+ format, it will do very well indeed, regardless of how popular the ID.4 ends up being.

The only thing the Y & ID.4 share is that they are both mid size crossovers, but then everything else is simply incomparable.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Sam W

unkel wrote: »
    Yes, ID.3 and ID.4 are econoboxes, very cheap feeling and looking. From the materials used to the stickers on the outside. Nothing wrong with that, but the semi-premium quality that Volkswagen cars used to have, even the Golf, is well and truly gone. Tesla Model 3 / Y aren't Rolls-Royces either, but the feel is a lot more premium than these new Volkswagens.

1. We booked an appointment for 10am but wasn't seen until 11.15am. Nobody offered any explanation or apology.
    2. We asked for a test drive for ID.4 when we booked the appointment and they simply said okay. Nobody told us that there would be none in stock until 2021.
    3. We were offered a test drive in ID.3 for less than 15 minutes, and the salesperson kept pressing us to reserve the ID.4 right after that and saying that the ID.3 and ID.4 are going to be identical anyway.

I was much more impressed by the services in Tesla where they would simply allow us to walk around the cars, have a sit in the car for a bit, then grab any person available at the time and talk through anything about the car.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    I agree with that Unkel but Tesla are solely lacking premium feel even in the S. The 3 I sat in in Sandyford (MY21 version) was very non premium too.

I guess it depends on the person. My girlfriend prefers the old fashioned classic feeling with a lot of buttons, fancy lights and dashboard. She went for a Merc CLA200 Premium+ in the end. I much prefer a cleaner dashboard and slick & modern look, hence Tesla looks good to me.

What she and I can both agree is that ID.3 (or supposedly the same look and feel for ID.4) internal feels really cheap. Plastic everywhere and the dashboard is so 10 years ago - neither modern nor vintage.

Fair enough the ID.4 price is decent for an electric compact SUV but when you look at the length and width of the car, it's even smaller than a Model 3.

Sam W wrote: »
    1. We booked an appointment for 10am but wasn't seen until 11.15am. Nobody offered any explanation or apology.
    2. We asked for a test drive for ID.4 when we booked the appointment and they simply said okay. Nobody told us that there would be none in stock until 2021.
    3. We were offered a test drive in ID.3 for less than 15 minutes, and the salesperson kept pressing us to reserve the ID.4 right after that and saying that the ID.3 and ID.4 are going to be identical anyway.

I was much more impressed by the services in Tesla where they would simply allow us to walk around the cars, have a sit in the car for a bit, then grab any person available at the time and talk through anything about the car.

I guess it depends on the person. My girlfriend prefers the old fashioned classic feeling with a lot of buttons, fancy lights and dashboard. She went for a Merc CLA200 Premium+ in the end. I much prefer a cleaner dashboard and slick & modern look, hence Tesla looks good to me.

What she and I can both agree is that ID.3 (or supposedly the same look and feel for ID.4) internal feels really cheap. Plastic everywhere and the dashboard is so 10 years ago - neither modern nor vintage.

Fair enough the ID.4 price is decent for an electric compact SUV but when you look at the length and width of the car, it's even smaller than a Model 3.
    external dimensions of ID4 are smaller than Model Y but internal dimensions are near enough the same or larger. I watched a German video from auto, motor und sport where this topic was discussed over the weekend. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjJfaB-hnrU
    The guy reviewing is about 6ft 3in
    scroll 50 seconds in to the video to see the table for dimensions.
    Interior quality in ID4 is better than ID3 but appearance is similar.

You do realise Tesla have mobile "Rangers" that come to your home / place of work? I have no experience of them myself but they seem to have a good reputation and they seem to be able to do many jobs on site

Of course I do but if the car had to go in for any reason, Sandyford is a pain.

I genuinely don't know, but do VW's have a reputation of needing to go back to dealers for work regularly? Didn't the ID.3 need to go back for a software update (though I believe that might just have been a once off).

The one issue I've had with the Model 3 since getting it 10 month ago was a rear light that was fogged up, The Ranger came and replaced it while the car was sitting in my driveway, and I was sitting on a conference call. (I'm in north county Dublin, and Sandyford would be a pain in the ar$e to have to go to for me during the day).

I reckon if the Model Y hits Ireland in the SR+ format, it will do very well indeed, regardless of how popular the ID.4 ends up being.

The only thing the Y & ID.4 share is that they are both mid size crossovers, but then everything else is simply incomparable.

I'm sure the id.3 will have to go in for it's scheduled "service" inspection or whatever you want to call it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I think people fixate over a ID.3 versus Model 3 debate, however VW know their customer for the ID3 - and it’s the Golf driver, not the model 3 driver.

In the majority of cases, Tesla buyers only have eyes for one car. It’s just like my iPhone - There are literally hundreds of android options that are objectively better, cheaper devices, but I don’t even give them a moments notice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

sk8board wrote: »
    I think people fixate over a ID.3 versus Model 3 debate, however VW know their customer for the ID3 - and it’s the Golf driver, not the model 3 driver.

In the majority of cases, Tesla buyers only have eyes for one car. It’s just like my iPhone - There are literally hundreds of android options that are objectively better, cheaper devices, but I don’t even give them a moments notice.

I tend to find it's people who don't want a Model 3 or an ID.3 that like to compare the two. The real competition will be when the ID.5 (the MEB Passat equivalent) and the Tesla Compact hatchback are released. Even then I'd say the two marques are in different economy brackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

There’s so few options in the 5 door hatchback EV line that comparing them is going to happen.
    That said, would you consider a model 3 LR if you were buying a new Golf R(?). It’s hard to know where any overlap of buyers ends.

We’re Golf drivers in our house for years, all on 3 year changeovers - next time around I can’t see us moving to the mk8 over the ID3/4.

There’s a reason why VW called it to “ID.3” - they want the Golf owners to move over and the mk8 golf will be sacrificed in the same way the beetle was in the early 70’s.

Natural progress. I hope all the previous Golf owners like yourself will now consider the ID.3

I guess at this stage (with battery prices still high and production numbers relatively low) it is unavoidable for a good value hatchback to be cheaply made. Progress in going to a purely electric vehicle but the sacrifice is having to say goodbye to the high (semi-premium) quality of the Golf for what is clearly an econobox ID.3

Of course I do but if the car had to go in for any reason, Sandyford is a pain.
    Sandyford is a pain due to poor customer service even if you live close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

There’s so few options in the 5 door hatchback EV line that comparing them is going to happen.
    That said, would you consider a model 3 LR if you were buying a new Golf R(?). It’s hard to know where any overlap of buyers ends.

We’re Golf drivers in our house for years, all on 3 year changeovers - next time around I can’t see us moving to the mk8 over the ID3/4.

There’s a reason why VW called it to “ID.3” - they want the Golf owners to move over and the mk8 golf will be sacrificed in the same way the beetle was in the early 70’s.

Comparing a 4-door-with-a-boot to a hatchback isn't comparing like with like though.

There's also the fact you can go to your local dealer without any hassle and there's plenty of them, that means a lot to most People I think.

+ I don't really think the id.3 is even comparable to the M3 ? certainly higher spec id.3 are close to the cost of the M3 so I think at that point getting a id.3 would be mad.

I'm not sure how the M3 compares on range vs the id.3 though ? the m3 standard + that is ? + the m3 I think can charge a lot faster.

Sandyford is a pain due to poor customer service even if you live close.

That bad ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Some 3rd row photos

539636.jpeg

539638.jpeg

539639.jpeg

539640.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭Patser

Gumbo wrote: »
    Some 3rd row photos

539639.jpeg

[

Looking at that 2nd last photo, wouldn't want to be the husband if car braked suddenly, there's a beam right in front of his head....then he bounces back and into roof.

I know it'd be very rare to have a 6 foot passenger stuck in back row

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Patser wrote: »
    Looking at that 2nd last photo, wouldn't want to be the husband if car braked suddenly, there's a beam right in front of his head....then he bounces back and into roof.

I know it'd be very rare to have a 6 foot passenger stuck in back row

Agree. And she stated that in the photo that her husband couldn’t sit back there.
    So realistically they are like the MS jump seats. For the kids.

If you need to carry 7 adults, you need to buy a full size MPV. Or as the yanks call them: a mini van

Personally I'd rather put my manly bits in a grinder than have one of them as the main family car, but each to their own :p

At $3k, the 7 seat option is not cheap, probably will be over €3k here

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We went from a C Max to an S Max for more room and the extra seats, used a few times in the first few weeks then permanently down for the next few years.
    Think hard about those rear seats

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

If you need to carry 7 adults, you need to buy a full size MPV. Or as the yanks call them: a mini van

Personally I'd rather put my manly bits in a grinder than have one of them as the main family car, but each to their own :p

At $3k, the 7 seat option is not cheap, probably will be over €3k here

I just put in my order yesterday for the LR AWD 7-seater Model Y (living in California) after doing a test drive (WOW) and a full check to see if baby seats and double buggy fits. It's a fantastic car. Even with the 3rd row seats up, I was able to fit a double buggy in the remaining boot space. There's a nice deep well back there. Boot lid closed fine.

With the 3rd row down, the boot was really big, plus that large well in the back, plus the frunk and two "pockets" behind the wheel wells. We're consolidating two cars into one as we don't need the second commuter car anymore with work from home and leases were ending. Getting rid of the 7 seat Hyundai Santa Fe and my commuter VW eGolf (my gateway drug to Tesla) :)

Room-wise, it doesn't feel small inside vs the large Santa Fe. We're not really losing anything in terms of space, which i was kinda amazed at.

As for sitting in the 3rd row, I'm 5'6"/5'7" and i was comfortable sitting back there. Leg room was fine and similar to any 3rd row seats that i've experienced. I was able to put my feet under the seats and get comfortable. I had about an inch to the back glass and the second row seats could move back and forward on the rails to give more or less room in either row. I wouldn't put anyone taller back there for sure..... but for occasional use or short journeys it will do the job very well. I reckon I would have been fine in there for an hour or so.

The performance was incredible as well. Such a great car to drive! Looks like i'll get it sometime between 16 Feb - 16 March (current estimate). Can't wait!

Well wear!

Yes it's a compelling package. I look forward to test driving the Model Y Performance when it becomes available here next year. Depending on the price and my financial situation, I could be tempted. The Model 3 Performance is an incredible car for the money, but as a saloon, not suitable as our only family car ((5 near adult size + dog). I need a hatchback and folding back seats to carry large loads too like bikes and solar panels

Unkel
    - the problem with the MY performance is that it's the slowest performance Tesla for sale. The LR M3 is nearly the same speed to 60.
    The base MS is faster.

Have you driven Model 3 Performance with track mode in a bit of anger? I guess not - otherwise you wouldn't make that comment :-)

It's not just about 0-60 times - all Teslas are fast

The Model 3 P is just a very, very well sorted car, I expect the Model Y P to be similar. Hope I won't be disappointed!

I havent, but, the acceleration times speak for themselves.

Anyway I couldnt buy a M3 as it would be impractical for us (need a hatch/suv). The Y is a lovely car, especially in red with the uberturbines and white interior, but it's simply not fast enough.

These days I'm dreaming of plaid anyway :)

I havent, but, the acceleration times speak for themselves.

There's a lot more to it than acceleration times. Well for me anyway. A Model 3 Performance can be driven on the twisties or around a track faster than a far more expensive BMW M3. Anyway I just looked it up on the US site and the Model Y Performance does 0-60 in 3.5s. That's plenty fast for me, about entry level Ferrari / Lamborghini times

That said, acceleration can never be fast enough, I grant you that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,071 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Model Y Plaid FTW

Advertisement