Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American Express card

• 04-03-2019 10:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all,

Not sure if there is a thread on this already, but I'm wondering if anybody knows if it is possible for an Irish resident to obtain an American Express card?

I have tried calling American Express numerous times over the last number of years and have been told that it isn't possible in Ireland, but curious to see if anybody knows if there is a way around it or not.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It's available as a corporate card but not as a personal card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭InterestedK

alias no.9 wrote: »
    It's available as a corporate card but not as a personal card.

Thank you Alias. How do you go about getting it as a corporate card if you have a company set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Thank you Alias. How do you go about getting it as a corporate card if you have a company set up?

I think 'corporate' means a company signing up for all of their employees to get the card, not just a sole operator who happens to have his/her own company.

Any harm in asking why you want an Amex card? I worked for a multinational and they were rolled out worldwide so we got them here in Ireland. Absolute b1tch to get anyone to accept them here in Ireland, outside hotels and airlines. Most pubs and restaurants didn't want to know, ditto Diners Club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,599 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Asfsik not many places accept them these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

They have changed ownership in Ireland so many times over the years that I think that have forgotten that Ireland exists.

I've had one for nigh on 30 years, it's controlled now from London but billed in Euros, can also access Amex - Ireland for all my account information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

My company also swopped over from Visa to Amex the lads that have them said the same about the card hotels & airlines will accept , Pubs/restaurant etc wont accept them for some strange reason anyone know what the reason behind them not being accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭alias no.9

My company also swopped over from Visa to Amex the lads that have them said the same about the card hotels & airlines will accept , Pubs/restaurant etc wont accept them for some strange reason anyone know what the reason behind them not being accepted.

Card providers take a cut of transactions. Amex take a bigger cut and don't have a very big customer base in Ireland so retailers don't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,283 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea the transaction charges are high on them. Not much use in Ireland.

If your in the market for a card the AIB platinum is good for some cash back nice to see the bank give me a bit back every month. https://aib.ie/our-products/credit-cards/platinum-visa-card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you really need an Amex the only way is to get it via a bank which issues them directly or via a secure program and then after at least 6-month attempt to get an international currency card from Amex.

There is also Bank of Cyprus which issues Amex as debit cards to their current account, so that is a way to get one if you really need Amex branding for some reason.

But as others mention Amex is really seldom accepted in Ireland due to the high fees that Amex charges merchants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,225 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

The main reason I keep one is for the airport lounge access that comes with it.

I don't think that comes with the Irish card, at least it doesn't with the green basic card. The option is available with US issued cards although I don't know what level, basic or corporate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Mr.S wrote: »
    Other then the rewards I can’t think of any reason why you’d want an AMEX. Status maybe?

Those days are long gone. Whip out an Amex card these days and you'll get funny looks.

A senior dude who worked for American Express in the US was sent to London a few years ago to head up the UK operation. His wife set about furnishing their apartment so she trotted down to Laura Ashley in Oxford St., assembled a few bits and pieces and handed over her Amex card. Only for the counter assistant to ask if she had any other card in her purse i.e. they'd accept an Amex card but only as a last resort!

Advertisement