Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance incident, claim or go to garage? €1000 bumper repair

Options
  • 04-03-2019 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭

On Friday my housemates reversed their 03 Yaris into a parked 09 Corrolla, damaging their DS tail lamp & the Corrolla’s bumper. They went to drive to the garda station (they didn’t take photos) and were subsequently stopped by guards called out to the damaged car by the neighbours. The guards are happy that they sort it out with the driver. We went to drivers house Saturday. The car has had bumper removed & his PS tail lamp is also broken. The car is roadworthy according to the guards.

The man rang his insurance just to let them know, our insurers were not open until this morning. We got a quote from ACE for €1,040 incl. VAT for paint & replacement of tail lamp and bumper of Corrolla. Our Yaris will just cost €30 to repair.

The Corrolla Owner asked us to contact insurance ‘as they have connections with garages & cost of repair might be cheaper’, however, I doubt that considering the housemates will probably get an increase in premium next year, and the accident will go on the books.

Do we have to go through insurance, or if garage repairs Corrolla to injured parties satisfaction, should that clear the matter? I’d prefer myself to source parts & fit but unfortunately I couldn’t sign it off as roadworthy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

1. OP's friend must report the accident to his insurers.
    2. OP's friend must not negotiate with the other party.

1 and 2 above are standard policy conditions.

3. If accident happened in a public place OP is obliged under statute to report accident to his insurers.

4. Toyota owner is entitled to have his car repaired by a repairer of his choice. Yaris insurers can appoint an assessor to inspect the Toyota to see the damage and to try and negotiate an agreed repair price with the garage.

BTW I had an accident a few years ago. My own insurers were prepared to repair the car at a repairers of their nomination for a slightly reduced price or a reduced excess so the Toyota owner might be right.

Advertisement