Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mathematical terms in Irish glossary

• 04-03-2019 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Does anyone know where to find a good glossary of the terminology at Leaving Cert level, preferably online?
    I am helping a Leaving Cert student who is taking the Maths paper as gaeilge. I have a basic knowledge of Irish. The student is happy to get help in English and do the translation himself but I would like to be able to check that something is not lost in translation.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,960 ✭✭✭doc_17

brownangel wrote: »
    Does anyone know where to find a good glossary of the terminology at Leaving Cert level, preferably online?
    I am helping a Leaving Cert student who is taking the Maths paper as gaeilge. I have a basic knowledge of Irish. The student is happy to get help in English and do the translation himself but I would like to be able to check that something is not lost in translation.

The only place you’ll probably get them is in his textbook? Maybe order yourself a copy if it? I think the only book translated is Text and Tests. Check out Gum.ie and you might find it there.

On a side note, this shows how unprepared the 27 Gaeltacht schools who have been forced into the scheme will be.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Gaeltacht/Gaelcholáistí are used to working as Gaeilge.
    This might help the OP
    http://ccea.org.uk/focloirmata/

The "Foclóir Mata" PDF here is also worth a gander.
    http://www.gaelscoil.net/mata-maths.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

tearma.ie
    A glossary will inevitably leave some terms out, especially in cases where there might be multiple Irish words for one english one. It also gives you related uses of the word you're looking for, which is doubly helpful if you're looking for something like 'null set', for example, you can search either word, and then scroll down until you get the term you're looking for, which is good for when you might want to search several related terms.

Always tearma.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brownangel

That helps. Thank you.

Advertisement