Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's happening with Sixth Nightclub in Sligo?

• 04-03-2019 7:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

They said they were closing for refurbishments.

That was almost a year ago.

Plus - I haven't seen any refurbishing going.

Place is freakin' idle.

I think the bar beside it, Fifth - that's still open.

Then I also know the competitor nightclub in the town, Sin - that expanded into this freakin' nightclub equivalent of a superpub - multiple floors etc.

So - what happened?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

AFAIK Same managers of the draft house in Strandhill. This closed a few months ago for refurbishment and now has a sale agreed on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

dingding wrote: »
    AFAIK Same managers of the draft house in Strandhill. This closed a few months ago for refurbishment and now has a sale agreed on it.

Yes - same dude.

Daniel something or other.

Sale agreed hmm?

Maybe he's getting out of dodge?

Though - that nightclub on teeling st has changed has so many freakin' times over the years, I'm just curious when the next entrepreneur is gonna reinvent it again, and when it's gonna open again...?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭rdavey14

Then I also know the competitor nightclub in the town, Sin - that expanded into this freakin' nightclub equivalent of a superpub - multiple floors etc.

I'd hope another nightclub would open where Sixth was, the town needs competition to bring the standard of nightlife up, especially since there are more and more hen and stag nights coming here.

rdavey14 wrote: »
    I'd hope another nightclub would open where Sixth was, the town needs competition to bring the standard of nightlife up, especially since there are more and more hen and stag nights coming here.

And also the promotion team at Sin are abismale, and the music culture there is atrocious and an embarrassment, especially with so many students from other provinces commuting to Sligo.

I mean - am I being overly cynical?

Same typical Sligo trash culture music values being recycled and promoted through a sound system.

2 years ago during rag week (or was it 3 - damn I'm getting old), every single night - there was a reputable, talented DJ at that venue - and it was a great venue then.

Now they have some local kids spinning what they think is "cool" - again your typical Sligo glorified "townie" junk - almost every night there; and as for the occasional outside talent that arrives?
    Some one hit wonders from 10 years ago - literally.

Pathetic.

Which is equally ridiculous given the wealth of DJ talent around Ireland;
    John O'Callaghan
    Bryan Kearney
    Snijder

A little farther afield, just over the water in the UK,
    James Dymond
    Will Atkinson
    Christina Novelli

Whoever bought over what used to be a decent nightclub, and created this bastardized version via some honkey notion of what they think a good clubbing experience is - needs a lengthy sit down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Bring back The (old) Clarence.

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Bring back The (old) Clarence.

That was before my time but, I think it was maybe, 3 years ago - they hosted a "Clarence tribute" night in - what was "Pure" at the time.

To me - the purpose of nightclubs, as distinct from bars - a blacked out surreal environment; the idea is to dissociate from reality a little.

Trying to avoid the cynicism of criticism - the positivity of the "Clarence" style nightclub - high pitch vocal trance, this is the music of dissociation.

I have absolutely no idea about dissociative compounds - never done them, never gonna.
    Don't need to if I'm being honest.

The current incarnation, known as "Sin" - to me, they're simply working towards attempting to appeal to the Sligo subculture - via stripping any class out of the place, consistently playing bogus sing-a-long backwater style music.
    The layout, the lighting - the incompetent personality that runs the joint, has basically transduced their awful hick-town mentality into the place.

Hard to believe a couple short years ago, there was DJ's like Marco V playing there.

Marco V - the dude is a legend of trance music - and he played in Sligo.

Pffff - human regressive tendencies on full display.

PS - and yes, in case ya'll can't tell - that blackout dissociative environment is near and dear to me.

Advertisement