Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joining An Garda Siochana via PLC?

Options
  • 04-03-2019 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi lads,

I have a quick question here, I'm 20 years old and unfortunatly my leaving cert is so poor, it's pretty much worthless, I have repeated it again and there wasn't much of an improvement the second time and I am not planning to go through it all again, I was wondering is it possible to join the Garda via PLC route? I'm talking about being a Garda, not a Garda Reserve.

Many thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

nickyv99 wrote: »
    Hi lads,

I have a quick question here, I'm 20 years old and unfortunatly my leaving cert is so poor, it's pretty much worthless, I have repeated it again and there wasn't much of an improvement the second time and I am not planning to go through it all again, I was wondering is it possible to join the Garda via PLC route? I'm talking about being a Garda, not a Garda Reserve.

Many thanks guys!

How poor are you talking? Have you got D3 in 5 subjects (even at pass level)

Below is the educational requirements.

https://www.garda.ie/en/Careers/Why-should-I-join-An-Garda-Siochana-/What-are-the-educational-requirements-.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9 nickyv99

I failed majority of the subjects, except for English, I think I got a H6 the first time, and a H5 the second

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭want2b

I failed majority of the subjects, except for English, I think I got a H6 the first time, and a H5 the second

Leaving cert h5 and h6??????

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

Ok well then you’ll need a level 5 course and two languages, your English from your leaving cert will count as one and you’ll have to do one with your level 5 I’d say.

want2b wrote: »
    Leaving cert h5 and h6??????

Its the new Leaving Cert grading system, from what I remember I got a H6 in English in my first time and a H5 in English the second time.

The Gardai have the old grading system up on their website

• Advertisement

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    Ok well then you’ll need a level 5 course and two languages, your English from your leaving cert will count as one and you’ll have to do one with your level 5 I’d say.

I see, thank you!

edit: Is the Irish language mandatory to join the Gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭5i6blrtngojxwf

I see, thank you!

edit: Is the Irish language mandatory to join the Gardai?

No but you need two languages at least so Irish would be most common due to the leaving cert

FIVE.0 wrote: »

So to sum it up, I need

A) Level 5 QQI Cert with a language
    (e.g..Spanish)

and

B) My Leaving Cert with my grade for English

Is that correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

So to sum it up, I need

A) Level 5 QQI Cert with a language
    (e.g..Spanish)

and

B) My Leaving Cert with my grade for English

Is that correct?
    i

Like the full QQI Level 5 Major Award not just a component module. Think there are usually 8 modules that make up the full award but best place to check is with Public Appoinments or the garda website.

Elliot192 wrote: »
    i

Like the full QQI Level 5 Major Award not just a component module. Think there are usually 8 modules that make up the full award but best place to check is with Public Appoinments or the garda website.

Yes, I'm still concerned, Do the Gardai even recruit those without college degrees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Yes, I'm still concerned, Do the Gardai even recruit those without college degrees?

The Garda training is a college degree - it's a level seven degree accredited by UL.

Elliot192 wrote: »
    The Garda training is a college degree - it's a level seven degree accredited by UL.

Oh, is it a matter of meeting the minimum requirements at the beginning? and then during the tests and interviews its decided that you are fit to be a guard or not? or do they select applications by random? and then proceed to the next stages?

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Oh, is it a matter of meeting the minimum requirements at the beginning? and then during the tests and interviews its decided that you are fit to be a guard or not? or do they select applications by random? and then proceed to the next stages?

Thank you
    Yes, you need only meet the requirements in order apply. The various tests and interviews from stages 1-4 do basically decide if you are fit to be a garda. Once you are signed off after completion of stage 4 you will be called to Templemore based on your order of merit number, which is finalized upon completion of stage 3.
    Stages 1-3 can be done in as little as 5 months (the better you do in the various tests, the quicker you progress). Stage 4 can then take anywhere from 2-3 months to 2-3 years.

Yes, you need only meet the requirements in order apply. The various tests and interviews from stages 1-4 do basically decide if you are fit to be a garda. Once you are signed off after completion of stage 4 you will be called to Templemore based on your order of merit number, which is finalized upon completion of stage 3.
    Stages 1-3 can be done in as little as 5 months (the better you do in the various tests, the quicker you progress). Stage 4 can then take anywhere from 2-3 months to 2-3 years.

Thank you very much! thats just what I wanted to know

Advertisement