Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't duplicate screen with HDMI to VGA adapter

Options
  • 04-03-2019 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

I've got a new laptop which doesn't have a VGA port. I bought a HDMI to VGA adapter so that I can use it in work for a projector. On some projectors the duplicate screen function doesn't work, but the extend screen does. Extending the screen is very awkward. Sometimes when I press duplicate I will see the screen flash up on the projector for a split second, but then disappear.

- I've tried updating graphics driver.
    - Windows 10
    - Hp Pavillion
    - Works fine on some projectors in work
    - Old laptop worked fine with VGA to VGA cable.
    - HDMI adapter also has an audio out, which works fine

This is doing my head in. Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I've got a new laptop which doesn't have a VGA port. I bought a HDMI to VGA adapter so that I can use it in work for a projector. On some projectors the duplicate screen function doesn't work, but the extend screen does. Extending the screen is very awkward. Sometimes when I press duplicate I will see the screen flash up on the projector for a split second, but then disappear.

- I've tried updating graphics driver.
    - Windows 10
    - Hp Pavillion
    - Works fine on some projectors in work
    - Old laptop worked fine with VGA to VGA cable.
    - HDMI adapter also has an audio out, which works fine

This is doing my head in. Any suggestions please?

What type of adapter? I've heard they can be very unrelliable

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its a resolution issue.

With a normal cable the computer asks the screen for what res it supports using EDID. That adapter you're using blocks those messages. Subsequently when you duplicate display the laptops own screen res is used for both displays. If the projector cannot handle such a res it won't understand the signal it receives and thus goes blank.

1. Take the cable out
    2. Set the desktop to 1024x768 or 1280x720 (right click, display settings)
    3. Connect the cable
    4. Duplicate

It should then work. Expect the image to look pretty crap on your laptop itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

ED E wrote: »
    Its a resolution issue.

With a normal cable the computer asks the screen for what res it supports using EDID. That adapter you're using blocks those messages. Subsequently when you duplicate display the laptops own screen res is used for both displays. If the projector cannot handle such a res it won't understand the signal it receives and thus goes blank.

1. Take the cable out
    3. Connect the cable
    4. Duplicate

It should then work. Expect the image to look pretty crap on your laptop itself.

This sounds good, the old laptop used to automatically change the display to a blocky resolution when protecting. Haven't had the chance to try it yet. Will let you know.

Its a resolution issue.

1. Take the cable out
    3. Connect the cable
    4. Duplicate

Unfortunately this doesn't work. Note that "extend" and "second screen only" options work fine.

Its a resolution issue.

1. Take the cable out
    3. Connect the cable
    4. Duplicate

This doesnt work unfortunately. Note that 'extend screen' and second 'display only' options work fine.

I have noticed though that when I change the resolution to lower, then connect the adaptor, the laptop screen blinks black and comes back on again reading the original 1366 x 768 resolution. If I could stop it from automatically doing this I might be able to work it.

• Advertisement

This doesnt work unfortunately. Note that 'extend screen' and second 'display only' options work fine.

I have noticed though that when I change the resolution to lower, then connect the adaptor, the laptop screen blinks black and comes back on again reading the original 1366 x 768 resolution. If I could stop it from automatically doing this I might be able to work it.

Advanced display settings say that display 1 resolution is 1366x768 and 60 Hz refresh and display 2 VGA display is 1024x768 and 59 Hz refresh. It asks for administrator access if I try to change refresh rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'd agree with poster ED_E in post #3 that it's a resolution issue but I'd suggest that you check the projector's manual to see which resolutions and refresh rates are supported and try that setting. But the HDMI port on your laptop may be expecting a confirmation signal from the external screen or projector that it supports the resolution of the signal being sent out from the HDMI port and as you are using a digital to analog converter, it may not be getting any signal back so the laptop HDMI port is rejecting the 'device' at the end of the cable.

Someone in work gave me a loan of an adapter that cost almost 100 euro. It worked!

My own cost around 20 euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Someone in work gave me a loan of an adapter that cost almost 100 euro. It worked!

My own cost around 20 euro...

Active vs passive. One has "smarts" in it, kinda like a tiny graphics card, the other just crosses some wires together.

Advertisement