If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new build, open plan

Options
  • 04-03-2019 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭

Hi there.

I've a house under construction at the moment. The slates are going on the roof right now, and the windows will be in in 2 weeks' time. 

I will have a pretty generously sized open plan (L-shaped). I've gone utterly mad and gone for a 75" Samsung TV. I really want to do it justice with the sound/speaker system though.

[Snipped by Mod]

I've done a fair bit of research but have failed to get a definitive answer on wired v Bluetooth v WiFi connections for the speakers. 

I'm all for wiring up if it gets the best results, but I'd love to have these decisions made now, as I'm about to have my first sit down with the electrician this week.

My worst nightmare would be to end up with a lag between picture and sound.

And I would be using this system regularly for music too. But I don't stream music, I save it to my phone and play from there. So I've no plans to have an Alexa or equivalent. I'm also an Android user if that helps. I own nothing from apple!! (and won't!)

Any options that might involve a speaker in the hallway or upstairs on the landing for music to go through the whole house would be welcome too!

You guys come highly recommended, I'd be very grateful for any pointers.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Hi,

I've edited your post to remove the text formatting so that the text is more easily readable.

I've also snipped part of your post referring to another retailer - the Charter for the forum (stickied at the top) requests that references to other retailers are only used when seeking a price match. A quick read of the Charter will put you in the picture.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

The Ritz wrote: »
    Mod Comment

Hi,

I've edited your post to remove the text formatting so that the text is more easily readable.

I've also snipped part of your post referring to another retailer - the Charter for the forum (stickied at the top) requests that references to other retailers are only used when seeking a price match. A quick read of the Charter will put you in the picture.

Cheers,

Ritz.
    No worries thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I would also remove the file attached as it contains name and address.

Hope Ritz doesn't mind me pointing this out in here.

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

kuang1 wrote: »
    Hi there.

I've a house under construction at the moment. The slates are going on the roof right now, and the windows will be in in 2 weeks' time. 

I will have a pretty generously sized open plan (L-shaped). I've gone utterly mad and gone for a 75" Samsung TV. I really want to do it justice with the sound/speaker system though.

[Snipped by Mod]

I've done a fair bit of research but have failed to get a definitive answer on wired v Bluetooth v WiFi connections for the speakers. 

I'm all for wiring up if it gets the best results, but I'd love to have these decisions made now, as I'm about to have my first sit down with the electrician this week.

My worst nightmare would be to end up with a lag between picture and sound.

And I would be using this system regularly for music too. But I don't stream music, I save it to my phone and play from there. So I've no plans to have an Alexa or equivalent. I'm also an Android user if that helps. I own nothing from apple!! (and won't!)

Any options that might involve a speaker in the hallway or upstairs on the landing for music to go through the whole house would be welcome too!

You guys come highly recommended, I'd be very grateful for any pointers.

Thanks!
    Hi Kuang1.

Thanks for the post.

Pretty much all our 5.1 systems are wired and there are no wireless options other than Sonos which is not really what you are after.

You could look at something like the Denon AVRX2500 paired with the Monitor Audio Mass 5.1 priced at 969 Euro (Excluding cables)
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-13471-denon-avrx2500-monitor-audio-mass-5-1-speaker-pack-av-receiver-and-5-1-speaker-package.aspx

Or perhaps the Denon AVRX2500 paired with the Fantastic Q Acoustics 3010i 5.1 pack priced at 1079 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-13646-denon-avrx2500-q-acoustics-3010i-5-1-graphite-speaker-pack-av-receiver-and-5-1-speaker-package.aspx

The Denon has a Zone 2 which would allow for speakers in a separate room.

If you are worried about lag please make sure that you use good quality HDMI cables because they do matter when it comes to audio.

What sources are you looking to connect to the receiver other than your phone?
    Again with the Denon mentioned above you can stream music to it with no issues.

Let me know your thoughts.

Hi Kuang1.

Thanks for the post.

Pretty much all our 5.1 systems are wired and there are no wireless options other than Sonos which is not really what you are after.

You could look at something like the Denon AVRX2500 paired with the Monitor Audio Mass 5.1 priced at 969 Euro (Excluding cables)
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-13471-denon-avrx2500-monitor-audio-mass-5-1-speaker-pack-av-receiver-and-5-1-speaker-package.aspx

Or perhaps the Denon AVRX2500 paired with the Fantastic Q Acoustics 3010i 5.1 pack priced at 1079 Euro
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-13646-denon-avrx2500-q-acoustics-3010i-5-1-graphite-speaker-pack-av-receiver-and-5-1-speaker-package.aspx

If you are worried about lag please make sure that you use good quality HDMI cables because they do matter when it comes to audio.

Hi Kenny.
    Well it'll be TV, phone and occasionally laptop that will be connecting to the system.

Trying to get this nailed down now so that I can instruct my electrician what cables are going where and that way we can bury everything.

That's within my budget alright.
    It's worth saying again though (and I'm being pedantic I know) but I don't intend to stream music, but connect my phone (via Bluetooth ideally) and play direct from music files saved onto my phone.

It would be great to have a speaker in the hall downstairs and landing upstairs all playing the same music.

I'd be happy for you to supply the wiring too so that I'd know it's of the right quality.

• Advertisement

Hi Kuang1.

Thanks for the post.

Hi Kenny.
    Well it'll be TV, phone and occasionally laptop that will be connecting to the system.

Trying to get this nailed down now so that I can instruct my electrician what cables are going where and that way we can bury everything.

That's within my budget alright.
    It's worth saying again though (and I'm being pedantic I know) but I don't intend to stream music, but connect my phone (via Bluetooth ideally) and play direct from music files saved onto my phone.

It would be great to have a speaker in the hall downstairs and landing upstairs all playing the same music.

I'd be happy for you to supply the wiring too so that I'd know it's of the right quality.
    Hi Kuang1.

The Denon AVRX2500 also has built in Bluetooth so you are covered in all ways :)
    It also gives plenty of scope for future upgrades and additions.
    It's got the Denon Heos built in which can be linked up to the Heos multi room speakers and can be controlled all over the house.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=heos&swapstore=1#pgnum=&sort=

Regarding the speakers in the hall and landing. You could only have one or the other as the Zone 2 only allows for 1 pair of speakers. You could not split this between two different places as then you would have the left/right part of the track playing down stairs and the right/left part upstairs.

You could use one of the listed Heos items in the link above for either of these areas and it will pair with the AVRX2500 amp and play the same music in that area also. This would be wireless other then the power lead.

For cables for the speakers. I would recommend something like the Cambridge Audio Ultra micro priced at £3.19 per meter (If you let me know how many meters you would require I can work you a deal on the cable)
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-910743-cambridge-audio-ultra-micro-speaker-cable-per-metre.aspx

For a sublink for connecting the sub to the amp would be the Cambridge Audio 7.5m priced at £29.95 (Depending on what length there are others available)
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-10545-cambridge-audio-aud500-sublink-7-5m-subwoofer-lead.aspx

Hi Kuang1.

The Denon AVRX2500 also has built in Bluetooth so you are covered in all ways :)
    It's got the Denon Heos built in which can be linked up to the Heos multi room speakers and can be controlled all over the house.
    https://www.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=heos&swapstore=1#pgnum=&sort=

Regarding the speakers in the hall and landing. You could only have one or the other as the Zone 2 only allows for 1 pair of speakers. You could not split this between two different places as then you would have the left/right part of the track playing down stairs and the right/left part upstairs.

You could use one of the listed Heos items in the link above for either of these areas and it will pair with the AVRX2500 amp and play the same music in that area also. This would be wireless other then the power lead.

For cables for the speakers. I would recommend something like the Cambridge Audio Ultra micro priced at £3.19 per meter (If you let me know how many meters you would require I can work you a deal on the cable)
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-910743-cambridge-audio-ultra-micro-speaker-cable-per-metre.aspx

For a sublink for connecting the sub to the amp would be the Cambridge Audio 7.5m priced at £29.95 (Depending on what length there are others available)
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-10545-cambridge-audio-aud500-sublink-7-5m-subwoofer-lead.aspx

Thanks Kenny.

Making upstairs on the landing zone 2 would actually be enough for me, and I could survive just fine without the hall having its own.

I haven't gone through the suggested packages in detail yet Kenny, but do they include a subwoofer designed to go underneath a coffee table in the middle of the room?
    That in turn needs it's own power i.e. a 3 pin plug somewhere nearby?
    If I need to do that then I need to plan accordingly as I don't want a power cable sitting on top of the floor running from a wall to the subwoofer.

What about speaker locations? Particularly any in the rear; do they need to be at a height? Or is there an optimum height to fix them at?

Hi Kuang1.

Thanks Kenny.

Making upstairs on the landing zone 2 would actually be enough for me, and I could survive just fine without the hall having its own.

I haven't gone through the suggested packages in detail yet Kenny, but do they include a subwoofer designed to go underneath a coffee table in the middle of the room?
    That in turn needs it's own power i.e. a 3 pin plug somewhere nearby?
    If I need to do that then I need to plan accordingly as I don't want a power cable sitting on top of the floor running from a wall to the subwoofer.

What about speaker locations? Particularly any in the rear; do they need to be at a height? Or is there an optimum height to fix them at?
    Hey Kuang1.

when you say fit under a coffee table, what height is there for the sub to fit as most can be pretty bulky.
    The one that comes with the monitor Audio Mass 5.1 would never fit under a coffee table as its a monster.

All subwoofer would need a plug socket so they can be plugged into the mains and also have a sublink cable to its position from the receiver.

Speaker locations. Usually as close to head height while seated is the best position. 
    You can get a way with a little higher but not too much or the sound will be going over your head. (You can of course point the speakers downwards into the room if possible and this allows for an extra bit of height if needed).

I hope this helps a bit more.

Hey Kuang1.

when you say fit under a coffee table, what height is there for the sub to fit as most can be pretty bulky.
    The one that comes with the monitor Audio Mass 5.1 would never fit under a coffee table as its a monster.

Thanks Kenny.
    Where would you typically recommend locating a sub like this one?

I sent a pm to you too if you get a minute to glance at it.

Hey Kuang1.

Thanks Kenny.
    Where would you typically recommend locating a sub like this one?

I sent a pm to you too if you get a minute to glance at it.
    Hey Kuang1.

I dropped you a little email :D

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.