Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LUAS Tracks

Options
  • 05-03-2019 8:50am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭

Just a very quick question, are you allowed cycle on the LUAS tramways? I'm hoping to start going from Heuston to Spencer dock, and my preference is to use the tramway, rather than the quays!

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You can drive on the tracks in certain spots. Don't see an issue cycling. Just be careful. Get caught in the track and you're fecked.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Yeah read some horror stories! Need to measure width of tyre versus Luas track! I'm thinking the route along the Luas is safer (once avoiding the tracks) and a little more direct. I'm only new to not driving/public transport, so want to take the route that will have me less stressed! The plan will then be to go over Samuel Beckett bridge upto grand canal dock.

I'm also going to give the grand canal route (from Ballyfermot) a go as well . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

antodeco wrote: »
    Need to measure width of tyre versus Luas track!

I doubt that a wide tyre is going to be your solution. I think most bikes are vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭highdef

Very few sections of tramway permit bicycles (or any non tram vehicles, for that matter) so the quays or an alternative route is probably more convenient and quicker.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

antodeco wrote: »
    Just a very quick question, are you allowed cycle on the LUAS tramways? I'm hoping to start going from Heuston to Spencer dock, and my preference is to use the tramway, rather than the quays!

Thanks

For the most part, no, you're not. I wouldn't advise it either.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You'd be stopping for traffic at junctions probably more often too as you won't be getting any right of way or lights for you. Go up the quays, north circular or the grand canal.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Your fillings will be falling out before long apart from anything else - most of the luas tracks are infilled with cobbles/sets that are most uncomfortable to cycle on!

I also recently saw someone (clearly very adept on a bicycle) barrelling down Dawson Street in the Luas tracks, dead straight road with no traffic or pedestrians anywhere near, and somehow he went into the track (momentary distraction I assume) and he and the bike went airborne in different directions. No injuries on that occasion (he was like a cat in how he crash landed) but it's put me off going anywhere near the lines for ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

For the most part, no, you're not. I wouldn't advise it either.

I've used it a number of times taking the bike between Connolly and Heuston stations. You're not allowed but it's very convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭The Davestator

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Your fillings will be falling out before long apart from anything else - most of the luas tracks are infilled with cobbles/sets that are most uncomfortable to cycle on!

I also recently saw someone (clearly very adept on a bicycle) barrelling down Dawson Street in the Luas tracks, dead straight road with no traffic or pedestrians anywhere near, and somehow he went into the track (momentary distraction I assume) and he and the bike went airborne in different directions. No injuries on that occasion (he was like a cat in how he crash landed) but it's put me off going anywhere near the lines for ever!

That was sounding like me up until the cat like reaction and no injury part!

Came off hard on Dawson Street in November and broke my shoulder badly. Having crossed the lines thousands of times over the past couple of years, it just takes one lapse

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,511 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks all. As I'll be a virgin to 2 wheeled transport, I wanted to make sure I was travelling on the safest route, until I build up confidence to navigate traffic. I might just give the quays a go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement