Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancake Tuesday - How will you eat yours?

Options
  • 05-03-2019 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭

The most wonderful day of the year :D How do you eat your pancakes?

While I love Nutella (and will usually get this topping from a crepe stand), I can usually only do one homemade pancake with it. Usually with strawberries.

My staple pancake is simply sugar! Will have some leftovers for tomorrow, so planning turkey slices, rocket, and cheese for lunch.

🤪

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    The most wonderful day of the year :D How do you eat your pancakes?

While I love Nutella (and will usually get this topping from a crepe stand), I can usually only do one homemade pancake with it. Usually with strawberries.

My staple pancake is simply sugar! Will have some leftovers for tomorrow, so planning turkey slices, rocket, and cheese for lunch.

With Parma ham and a nice cheese ... then just simply sugar and lemon juice for after.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,510 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Lemon juice is almost more important than the pancake.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Just had two sweet ones at work (with strawberries and nutella), but I'm planning on having savoury filled pancakes for tea.
    I'm thinking Cheela-style pancakes, filled with butternut squash, caramelised onions and goats cheese, and baked with a bit of cottage cheese on them.

I'll post a picture if this goes well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭paulpd

A little butter, small bit of sugar (or golden syrup) and lemon juice.
    Don't do the nutella / marshmellow / other ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We did Pancake Monday this year.

I have issues with egg, so could only eat one (even that was risky :P). I always try make that one count. This year I went with the classic: lemon and sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Does anyone make buckwheat or bran pancakes here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭mulbot

Have done,from bran. Might aswell be eating cardboard. Horrible,

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

We're having spinach, blue cheese and walnuts for savory pancakes followed chestnut puree for the sweet ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Haven't bothered making pancakes in years but if I found myself sitting in front of one it would be butter, lemon juice and a tiny sprinkling of sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Streaky bacon
    Maple syrup
    Dusting of powdered sugar and cinnamon powder.

The cinnamon is key. Just a hint of it though, too much and it overpowers the salty bacon and the sticky sweet syrup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 GFlanagan66

Bacon is great on them. Lots of maple syrup too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

woodchuck wrote: »
    We did Pancake Monday this year.

I have issues with egg, so could only eat one (even that was risky :P). I always try make that one count. This year I went with the classic: lemon and sugar.
    Ever try the egg alternative?
    No. Have tried a banana pancake. Won't be doing that again!

=-=

Prefer either strawberry jam, marmalade, or honey. Honey is great, but messy. Strawberry jam would be my favorite.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Heard a guy ask for pineapple this morning in a cafe. Yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

the_syco wrote: »
    Ever try the egg alternative?

I tried an egg-free pancake recipe before and it was a DISASTER.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yes, buckwheat galletes are lovely for a savoury pancake.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I love buckwheat pancakes/crepes, but tried making them once, and it was an epic fail. Hard and tasteless. Don't know what I did wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Stewed apple, whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon in our house.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,312 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Maple syrup and caramelised banana. It's just not the same with cold slices of banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I don't "get" the Nutella thing.
    In my opinion - and I know its purely a matter of personal taste - the pancakes are bland in flavour and smoothish in texture: so anything that is also sweetish and stodgy is not a good contrast. Doesn't do much for either the pancake or the Nutella.
    Whereas the traditional bit of butter, squeeze of lemon, sprinkle of caster sugar gives flavours, contrasts, sharpness, crunchiness - all the best things - no wonder it is the crowd pleaser!

Other favourites:
    grated cheddar/chopped onion, scallions or chives.
    Natural yogurt with applesauce, cinnamon.
    Another classic, bacon and maple syrup.
    Cream and raspberries; (out of season, though:) I use frozen ones from my own garden, they thaw to a delicious sharp/vivid coulis with a little icing sugar

And for the main course, I've made a kind of lasagna by stacking pancakes with savoury minced beef and cheese sauce. Pile high in layers, cut in wedges like a cake.
    When my kids were at school, they could eat pancakes for every meal. Three frying-pans on the go at once. There was a smoky cloud of blue haze over my kitchen that day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Tried everything and anything but I always go back absolutely nothing on them. I just like the taste.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Savoury pancakes have no place on Shrove Tuesday. Butter, sugar & a squeeze of lemon - everything else is just having notions! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

woodchuck wrote: »
    I tried an egg-free pancake recipe before and it was a DISASTER.

For the last couple of years I've been making a vegan pancake batter for my mammy which is really very like a normal mixture in both taste and texture. Once the toppings go on, you barely taste the pancake anyway :o

It's really simple - instead of egg you use 'flax egg' which is milled flax AKA linseed plus water. To get the equivalent of one egg I mix 1 tablespoon of flax into 1.5 tablespoons of boiling water and let it sit for 10-15 minutes until it's nice and gloopy. The linseed comes from Aldi, and I think they have it in tesco and lidl too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I have my buttermilk batter resting while I ponder the toppings. Not sure what I'm going to do yet, but I've plenty of options - too many perhaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 69,009 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As many pancakes as we can make with 8 eggs and half a jar of Nutella each. Should crosspost this to the dinner thread as that's likely to be all we have!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I’m not a fan of sweet pancakes. It’ll be savoury toppings/fillings all the way for me. I have sobrasada and a tonne of cheese in the fridge, so something that uses them up will be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Frick. Just realised that this was today. Work canteen didn't have it for lunch. May have only been a breakfast thing. Bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,287 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Wasn’t gonna make pancakes at all, I’m not a massive lover of the traditional crepe style ones that we do in Ireland so I decided to make the banana oat pancakes - it’s a Flahavans recipe - I added cinnamon and chia seeds to them. They were delicious!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

On Shrove Tuesday, I keep it simple. Castor sugar and lemon. Bracing myself for giving up sugar for lent, including biscuits, cakes etc. Its not gonna be easy. If you are a practicing Catholic, don`t forget to get your ashes tomorrow people.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GFlanagan66

They look great Leahy! I’ve made the banana pancakes a few times, so easy and delicious weekend mornings!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

If I'm having thin crepe type pancakes I like them with butter, lemon and sugar. Today I made thicker ones and we had them with crisp streaky bacon and lots of maple syrup.

Advertisement