Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pancake Tuesday - How will you eat yours?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Ended up being a glutton and had 4!

One with sugar, one nutella, one with greek yoghurt, mango pieces and raspberries, and one with greek yoghurt and Stroopwafel pieces. Glorious!

Have a couple left for today, which will be with turkey, cheese, tomato, and rocket.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I did a small stack in the end and topped with raspberries, crispy bacon and maple syrup. Tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

B0jangles wrote: »
    For the last couple of years I've been making a vegan pancake batter for my mammy which is really very like a normal mixture in both taste and texture. Once the toppings go on, you barely taste the pancake anyway :o

It's really simple - instead of egg you use 'flax egg' which is milled flax AKA linseed plus water. To get the equivalent of one egg I mix 1 tablespoon of flax into 1.5 tablespoons of boiling water and let it sit for 10-15 minutes until it's nice and gloopy. The linseed comes from Aldi, and I think they have it in tesco and lidl too.

Thanks for the tip, I must try it some time. It might be a while though... I'm still recovering from my previous vegan pancake disaster :P

On the sweet vs savoury debate, sweet all the way!! Although I'd love to have one of each...

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Savoury pancakes have no place on Shrove Tuesday. Butter, sugar & a squeeze of lemon - everything else is just having notions! :p

Completely agree. Our house is the exact same. That's all we have on pancake Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Completely agree. Our house is the exact same. That's all we have on pancake Tuesday.

Went full savoury last night.

Pancakes made with oat flour served enchillada style with spicey beef, flamed onion & peppers and chili.

Fecking gorgeous....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Usual story here, simple pancake recipe making thin but big frying pan sized pancakes. Even had the one that I completely fcuked up as per normal!

On the table: sugar, lemon juice, golden syrup, maple syrup and Nutella (for the kids).

Savory grand if you're having them as a main meal, but these were for dessert in this house!

The sugar and lemon combo on a warm, freshly made pancake is simply unbeatable though. Drooling just thinking about it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just thinking I did not recall seeing any jif ads or promotions in the shops or TV, might have just not noticed. It is more nutella these days which I do not remember being promoted when I was a kid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jif_(lemon_juice)#Marketing
    Jif is sometimes used on pancakes.[23] An advertising campaign introduced the catch-phrase "Don't forget the pancakes on Jif lemon day,"[24] in reference to Shrove Tuesday,[25] which is also referred to as Pancake Day. The campaign and slogan was devised by Reckitt and Colman.[8] The Jif lemon-shaped packaging aligned Jif with the consumption of pancakes on Shrove Tuesday in consumers' minds, creating a strong link between the product and Shrove Tuesday.[11] Jif and pancakes is a popular combination on Shrove Tuesday.[26] In 2000, over 80,000 Jif lemons were being produced per day to meet consumer demand for Pancake Day, beginning five weeks prior to Pancake Day.[8][13][14] This occurred despite fresh lemons having greater availability during this time compared to other time periods.[8] The adverts were shown throughout the 1970's, 1980's and 1990's decades on television screens in Ireland and United Kingdom.

Advertisement