Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to lower paying job for security

Options
  • 05-03-2019 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi I have been offered a job as a CO in civil service. Hours are great. In my current job the shifts vary but I would work until 8 some evenings. I would take a 2700 (annual) pay cut to take the CO and lose benefits such as health insurance. I also get a monthly monetary bonus(circa 150-200) but there is talk of my job giving us a salary increase in lieu of the monthly bonus.

I estimate that it would take 3 years to get to my current pay. I am very confused as everyone raves about the civil service but I know that our family would find this pay cut hard with our current bills (high rent). We wouldn't have any money for savings or holidays. Usual stuff people enjoy.

Also I am unsure if I will be ever eligible for EO internal promotion as I was an early school leaver. I don't want to pass up an opportunity but I am forced to think of the money. I work in CS now and my job isn't my forever job by any means.

Advertisement