Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paid for a course and cant get any refund now

Options
  • 05-03-2019 12:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭

I just thought id ask here and see what people think more than likely i wont get any refund,but i signed up for a classroom based photography course that costs €2600 i paid €350 deposit and then its 9 monthly payments of €250,i started the course in February but due to work commitments i couldn't continue it and i never went to the second class,last week i emailed them and asked to be moved to the home based course that costs €1280.

After looking at the home based its way overpriced and very expensive for what it is,yesterday i asked to cancel and i wanted a refund,i paid €850 in total that's the deposit and x2 monthly payments.

This is in their T&C's when i signed up and they will not give me any refund,even though i only attended one classroom course.
    4. If a home study student decides to withdraw from their course within 14 days of enrolment they can request a full and complete refund of course fees paid. No refunds will be issued after 14 days.
    5. If a classroom student decides to withdraw from their course for any reason they can request a full and complete refund of course fees paid if the request is made within the following timeframes:
    Before the second class for Saturday classroom students Before the third class for weeknight classroom students
    No refunds will be issued outside of the timeframes specified above.

Now this morning my only options left are
    1 - You can cancel your course now and I can arrange to stop any future payments.
    2 - You can place your course on hold and can revisit at another time when you have more time to commit.
    3 - You can continue with your course and pay the remaining balance.

If i cancel now im basically just giving them €850 for nothing,the other two options im just wasting my money on a very expensive course.

So what do people here think any advice on what i can do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

can't see how you're entitled to anything to be honest - I think once you asked to be moved to the other course your avenue for recourse/refund was closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You took up a place on the course which is probably too late to fill as they have already had a couple of classes. Caveat emptor, you entered a contract, they are providing the service, you are not availing of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi Op

If you just put yourself in their shoes for a moment you will see it wouldn't make great business sense to allow a refund here.

If you could transfer to the home based course you would get something for your money, or if you reschedule for when work commitments were less hectic, the same.

So you have options. Its sounds like you have a little buyers regret here.

Effectively this is a change of mind scenario and your not entitled to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I can't see any justification for a refund at all, not beyond "I want my money back just because".

Advertisement