Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet Upgrade

Options
  • 05-03-2019 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone;

I've been a long time reader of boards.ie but first time posting so bare with me if i am in the wrong place! :P

Basically as the title says, I'm looking to upgrade the Wifi in the house. To give you some of the details first; it is a two story house. with two landings on the second story either side (Not extravagant just a split half way up the stairs (Imagine an extension over a garage.) there are currently 5 of us living in the house and each of us has at least 2 devices connected to the wifi. As you can imagine when we are all at home the internet isn't the best in some cases. Mainly the gamer's and Netflix watchers tend to suffer the most. I feel we are not getting the full benefit of our internet.

At the moment we are on Eir Fiber with the F1000 modem. this modem is placed on the bottom floor in the hall (Maybe not necessarily the most ideal spot I don't know but the only spot as the DSL cable is there.)

what I'm looking for a recommendation on how to improve our Wifi across the house whether it be by changing out the modem or adding in a second one or what ever may be the case. I don't have much knowledge on the subject but slowly getting my head around it.

Thanks in advance;

Graham.C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Graham.C wrote: »
    Hi everyone;

I've been a long time reader of boards.ie but first time posting so bare with me if i am in the wrong place! :P

Basically as the title says, I'm looking to upgrade the Wifi in the house. To give you some of the details first; it is a two story house. with two landings on the second story either side (Not extravagant just a split half way up the stairs (Imagine an extension over a garage.) there are currently 5 of us living in the house and each of us has at least 2 devices connected to the wifi. As you can imagine when we are all at home the internet isn't the best in some cases. Mainly the gamer's and Netflix watchers tend to suffer the most. I feel we are not getting the full benefit of our internet.

At the moment we are on Eir Fiber with the F1000 modem. this modem is placed on the bottom floor in the hall (Maybe not necessarily the most ideal spot I don't know but the only spot as the DSL cable is there.)

what I'm looking for a recommendation on how to improve our Wifi across the house whether it be by changing out the modem or adding in a second one or what ever may be the case. I don't have much knowledge on the subject but slowly getting my head around it.

Thanks in advance;

Graham.C

First you need to clear what is the real issue here - bad WiFi signal/coverage or slow internet (ISP) - two different things.

What you describe sound like once all 10+ devices connect to your home network you experience some internet browsing/streaming problem.

Test speed with only one device connected (cable connection preferable) - if speed not as per contract, contact your ISP (providers like/tend to apply throttle "by default" until customer complain.) I would say acceptable 60%-80% of promised by contract speed, especially on fiber.

If you certain/confirmed that you incoming internet is good and as per your contract with ISP, then...

F1000 is not strongest(if not weakest) device re WiFi and if signal quality is insufficient to cover all property/household then consider:

1. Connect all Ethernet capable devices over cable where possible - TV's, game consoles, etc. - leave WiFi for mobile devices only (phones, laptops).

2. Introduce independent AP(access point). Here you will have multiple options to go for - proper enterprise grade AP or consumer "toys" like extenders and alike. Would recommend proper solution, especially if can't get TV's, etc. on Ethernet.
    I have Cisco AP (router WiFi disabled altogether) covering my house and range outside, never looked back - only to upgrade to newer model, however, Cisco requires more advanced knowledge on configuration. Ubiquity is more user friendly - might suite you more (other options available).
    Depending on area and building structure(walls, ceilings) might need to introduce more than one AP to assure good coverage.

All will sum up to how much you ready to spend and your determination.
    Other opinions welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I understand from this that you are not on FTTH but getting a copper line from a Fibre-enabled cabinet.

If that is the case then you are on an 'up-to' whatever speed your provider says, but it is very much distance dependent (the length of copper from cabinet to you).

Do a few speeds tests by arrangement with all devices switched off except the one doing the testing ...... and that one connected by ethernet cable to the modem.

That should let you know whether you have sufficient speed from your provider for all users or not.

If you have sufficient speed, then the problem might well be the internal wifi connections, and you can certainly do something about that.

Advertisement