Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why aren't you donating blood?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

The IBTS has decided to remove the permanent deferral regarding vCJD associated with UK residency and certain surgical procedures.

This means that from 7th October 2019 donors who have been deferred by the IBTS for due to living in the UK may now be eligible to give blood provided that they meet their other medical guidelines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I tried but chronic anaemia means the furthest I ever got was a finger prick.

I will be able to donate otherwise once my hemoglobin levels are maintained at normal, but 10 years on and still no cause identified for the anaemia so probably won't be donating any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

The IBTS has decided to remove the permanent deferral regarding vCJD associated with UK residency and certain surgical procedures.

This means that from 7th October 2019 donors who have been deferred by the IBTS for due to living in the UK may now be eligible to give blood provided that they meet their other medical guidelines.
    And I'm back in the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Great news. It was such a low risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Too old, too ill and on medication.. and until now too English... Donated for many, many years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Where have all the little rewards gone? It was only last time I was on, during the summer, that it dawned on me that I haven’t gotten anything in ages. There used to be loads, keyrings, pencils, car window stickers and even the iron tablets are gone! Is it the same everywhere?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Where have all the little rewards gone? It was only last time I was on, during the summer, that it dawned on me that I haven’t gotten anything in ages. There used to be loads, keyrings, pencils, car window stickers and even the iron tablets are gone! Is it the same everywhere?

Canteen in D'Olier Street was closed. Was nice to watch the world go by out the window.

No hot drinks , just cans

But I got a pen and a sticker.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Is it closed permanently, or was just closed on the day you went?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭mr chips

I had a bit of a health crisis a few years back which was serious enough at the time and had missed a couple of rounds of donating as a result. The next time the letter came in, I thought I'd better ring to check was there any reason to hold off, in case the medication I was on might be contraindicated. The doctor I spoke to went through a fair bit of my medical history, what had happened to prevent me donating the previous couple of times, what the effect on me had been, what the treatment was, what meds I was still taking etc and concluded that I shouldn't donate. I was a bit disappointed at this and asked whether it would be possible to donate if & when I came off the one low dose tablet I was taking.

His reply was a bit of a shock to the system - "We are very grateful and appreciative for all the donations you've made up to now but we must now permanently remove your name from our list of active donors. I need to make this very clear. The issue is not any trace remnants of your medication which may persist in your blood. You must NEVER donate blood again because of the risk to your own life." Have to admit I was in a bit of a low mood for a while after that. :( Still, not then end of the world.

For those with hard-to-find veins - in the aftermath of all my adventures, I went through a stage of getting a lot of bloods taken etc and there were times when it was hard for them to access a vein (NB I have never been an intravenous drug user!!) - at one stage they were talking about whether they might have to try and raise one in my foot. :eek: I found that doing a few squats/push-ups etc for a minute raised my temperature and heartrate enough that it was much easier to access a vein in my arm.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Went out for another pint tonight with Dracula.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Are they still open, I presume so but it must be hard for them to get donations at the moment. There was a mobile van supposed to be in my town last week and Id planned to donate blood for the first time but didnt due to current circumstances. Im not even sure if the van showed up anyway, there was nothing on their website about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Are they still open, I presume so but it must be hard for them to get donations at the moment. There was a mobile van supposed to be in my town last week and Id planned to donate blood for the first time but didnt due to current circumstances. Im not even sure if the van showed up anyway, there was nothing on their website about it.

I got a text from them today asking for donation.

Don't know how they would do it, in regards to government guidelines on social distancing

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

I got a text, too, and they suggested making an appointment to manage distancing - not sure how much response they'll get - there's always a long wait and you'll inevitably be mixing with other humans....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I would if I could but I don't meet the minimum required weight to donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭cython

They are, but on an appointment only basis (presumably to facilitate social distancing between donors). As to distancing their staff from donors, I'd imagine they have extra measures in place of some form (PPE or whatever), and even prior to this once the needle was in it's not like there was a DA sitting by your side throughout so I'm sure they can minimise the contact further so as only to be nearby while prepping and finishing.

Blood donation appointments are (unsurprisingly) one of the acceptable reasons for travel at present outside of going for essentials, or exercising within 2km of home.

Unfortunately I was in India twice last year, so can't donate again until about October of this year, otherwise it'd be a great excuse for a change of scenery!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Received transfusion so can't.

I seen at last donation there was limited info on bone marrow donation

Has anyone signed up for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Was in SE Asia May last year, can't see whether I'm ok or not on their site.

In any case nearest clinic is an hour away, they seemed to have stopped the local ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I doubt I'm eligible, I'm on a f*ck-ton of meds ... including iron for anaemia, I guess that rules me out if nothing else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I got a text, too, and they suggested making an appointment to manage distancing - not sure how much response they'll get - there's always a long wait and you'll inevitably be mixing with other humans....

Yeah Im sure the staff will have PPE on and everything but I just decided against the risk. Felt a bit bad about it as I know people still need blood but at the same time Ive an underlying condition and really cant afford to contract this virus.

For anyone who uses the mobile vans how do you find out when they are in your area? I only came across it by accident in the local paper which I rarely if ever read. Had a look on their site and searched my town but it didnt give details of the van coming around like the paper did. Also before that I had emailed them and they said Id have to travel quite a bit, they didnt seem to know that the van comes to my area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Jaundice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Yeah Im sure the staff will have PPE on and everything but I just decided against the risk. Felt a bit bad about it as I know people still need blood but at the same time Ive an underlying condition and really cant afford to contract this virus.

For anyone who uses the mobile vans how do you find out when they are in your area? I only came across it by accident in the local paper which I rarely if ever read. Had a look on their site and searched my town but it didnt give details of the van coming around like the paper did. Also before that I had emailed them and they said Id have to travel quite a bit, they didnt seem to know that the van comes to my area.

Giveblood.ie has a calendar of all their clinics, including the mobile ones with dates.

In the past I couldn't because of the MSM ban but due to my sad single life it's probably been over 12 months now at this stage. :( So I may actually be eligible. Am on long term meds but not anything that should affect my blood, seems to be ok going by the FAQ on the blood donor website anyway.

Main thing that would put me off is that I did a home blood test recently (anyone who's curious google 'Eldon Card') and I'm AB-positive (universal recipient) so my blood's pretty much useless to about 98% of the population of Ireland anyway! Is it still even worth people like me donating? They might have more use for me in Bangladesh where over 16% of people are AB+ !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

My wife had signed up but the centre cancelled the appointment over numbers coming in as in they are probably restricted

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭lozenges

Great initiative. Apparently stocks are particularly low at the minute so if you can donate please do!

I have received transfusion and have history of leukaemia so unfortunately can't donate or be an organ donor- shame as I am the least squeamish person ever! Am not sure if I would be permitted to donate my body for medical science but would happily do so if so.

Also lived in the UK for a time but think it's good they've lifted that restriction - the probability is so low. I think the MSM restriction is quite unreasonable also given the highest incidence of HIV in Ireland is actually in women from the African continent, but anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

I'm not donating blood because the last time I donated my wife got nerve damage to her arm giving blood.

In her case the nurse had problems finding a vein and spent ages, failed and eventually gave up.

Next day my wife's arm was black and blue from her shoulder all way down to her fingers.

Ten years later she still complains she tried to sue and got nowhere as medical profession won't go against themselves for court.

This is the reason I stopped giving blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I seen at last donation there was limited info on bone marrow donation

Has anyone signed up for this?

Here is some info on it

https://www.giveblood.ie/Bone-Marrow/

I gave some many years ago and only was a bit stiff in the hips for a few weeks.

I used to do a lot of running and completed Dublin Marathon 4 months after donation with no joint problems
    Bone Marrow Donation

Bone marrow donation occurs in St James's Hospital, Dublin.

This involves a 2 night hospital stay and you can resume work within 2 weeks.

Bone marrow is collected from your pelvic bones using a needle and syringe. You will be given a general anaesthetic so you will be asleep during the donation procedure.

This is a very safe procedure with the biggest risk being the general anaesthetic.

The after effects of this donation can be tiredness, with aching and stiffness around the hip area.

Your body will take a week or so to replace the donated marrow.

We will be in contact with you regularly following the donation to check on your wellbeing.

https://www.giveblood.ie/Bone-Marrow/Bone-Marrow-Donation-Process/

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

Thespoofer wrote: »
    Jaundice

Yeah, I had that this after I was born in 1984, and needed blood transfusions from one of my parents I think. I would be honoured to able to give blood that might help someone in need but for reasons I'm not quite sure of I can't. I cant help feeling in the 36 years of fairly healthy life since then I'd be good for giving a donation but it's not the case. As Taylor Swift would put it, I've got bad blood. Someone once suggested that I could be tested, and that would clarify if my blood could be used but it wouldnt be economic sense for the blood board to do so. If that was the case I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred quid for sorting it out, but it is perhaps BS and I am under a blanket ban??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Harleen Quinzel

I would love to donate, but I have pernicious anaemia and have received a blood transfusion myself.

I’m incredibly grateful to all who donate.

• Advertisement

Here is some info on it

https://www.giveblood.ie/Bone-Marrow/

I gave some many years ago and only was a bit stiff in the hips for a few weeks.

I used to do a lot of running and completed Dublin Marathon 4 months after donation with no joint problems

https://www.giveblood.ie/Bone-Marrow/Bone-Marrow-Donation-Process/

Cheerz

Its something,id like to do....have some minor worries surronding anesthetic...might call their helpline for more info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

With so many restrictions in place on donations. (I can't donate even do I would love to)
    How do they even get enough blood?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I would if I could but I don't meet the minimum required weight to donate.
    Eat a few mars bars you'll be grand. :)

Eat a few mars bars you'll be grand. :)

The're less than 50 KG to not meet weight requirement.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Anal sex :cool:

Use a vagina instead, they're actually designed for sex.

Always thought gay men lose so much by not appreciating boobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Im under the weight requirement.

• Advertisement

Anal sex :cool:

Am I reading this correctly? You can't donate for 3 months after anal sex with a man but anal sex with a woman is ok...

e9b87199edf37c4f71744565a6bd87eb.png

It must be frustrating not being able to donate just because you are gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I do. Regularly. One of the rare types and never mind giving. It's nice to know its of use to someone. I've never felt any negative after affects and love the fizzy drink and crisps:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

tuxy wrote: »
    Am I reading this correctly? You can't donate for 3 months after anal sex with a man but anal sex with a woman is ok...

e9b87199edf37c4f71744565a6bd87eb.png

It must be frustrating not being able to donate just because you are gay.

The deferral period in Ireland is 12 months, and that includes just oral sex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I’ve an appointment booked for platelet donation in May and they have sent info to say they’re still open and are looking for donations.

I always think making a donation is such a simple thing to do but could be so important to someone else.

The deferral period in Ireland is 12 months, and that includes just oral sex

But only for gay men?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

Donated the other evening they are giving you an appointment or getting you to wait and they ring when there is a seat available.they were only letting in 8 to 10 people at a time.had to wait an hour and a half for a call didnt mind though.
    They werent over precaucious just the usual gloves no masks. They said the blood stocks were fairly good as a lot of surgeries were cancelled.nurse reckoned the donation rate was only down about 15% thought it would be way lower than that with all thats going on

But only for gay men?
    Its just homophobia its from a long time ago...

However Irish govts have previously gladly accepted blood bought from prisons in the US and infected people with hepatitis in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I used to give blood, but about 15 years ago when living in Africa I contracted Malaria and was seriously ill with it, it was my 3rd time to have it, but this time I nearly died. Doctor advised me to never donate blood again. I know I'm banned for life in some countries like Germany from donating, but was given the all clear here after 12 months.

I took the African specialists advice and haven't donated blood since then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

But only for gay men?

Yes, this restriction applies only to MSM (men who have sex with men)

Its just homophobia its from a long time ago...

However Irish govts have previously gladly accepted blood bought from prisons in the US and infected people with hepatitis in the past.

I guess it depends on who you are.

Midnight_EG was very happy that he couldn't donate because he has had gay anal sex.

But it does go back to my point about not understanding how they can even get enough blood because of all the rules.
    Some of the rules are very important but many make little sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

bizidea wrote: »
    Donated the other evening they are giving you an appointment or getting you to wait and they ring when there is a seat available.they were only letting in 8 to 10 people at a time.had to wait an hour and a half for a call didnt mind though.
    They werent over precaucious just the usual gloves no masks. They said the blood stocks were fairly good as a lot of surgeries were cancelled.nurse reckoned the donation rate was only down about 15% thought it would be way lower than that with all thats going on

Donated yesterday, and would agree with all the above

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

About once a year I'd donote, for to get the free tea and biscuits. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

I'm more than willing, but because I was living in England in the early 90's I'm not allowed to, due to Mad Cow disease. If they change the rules then I would.

KevRossi wrote: »
    I used to give blood, but about 15 years ago when living in Africa I contracted Malaria and was seriously ill with it, it was my 3rd time to have it, but this time I nearly died. Doctor advised me to never donate blood again. I know I'm banned for life in some countries like Germany from donating, but was given the all clear here after 12 months.

I took the African specialists advice and haven't donated blood since then.

You are also not allowed to donate if you have psoriasis ..

If you are menstruating you can't unless you pass a haemoglobin test.

Also a lot of women who DO give blood it upsets their period and delays it or makes them miss it.

Some countries don't let menstruating women donate at all until their period is finished.

And if you are having a heavy period they will tell you to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'd also propose an extra tax on those who don't.

Do the homosexual men that IBTS discriminates against have to pay the tax too?

• Advertisement
Advertisement