Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why aren't you donating blood?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

De Danann wrote: »
    Damn, that's a pity. I was also trying to find out how to increase my blood pressure but it seems the only methods of doing that are rather unhealthy :p

I'll give them a call and see though. I'd assume platelets goes under the same Blood Donor card number as whole blood donation? Presumably they'll bring my record up on the system, see the notes about me fainting and tell me to take a hike :pac:

It's pretty annoying as I donated without a problem for several years and then out of the blue this started happening. It's a brilliant thing to do. I especially liked donating at Christmas in the local pop-up clinic with the neighbours, it's a great community feeling.

They advised me to drink loads of (non-alcoholic!) fluids for the day or two before the platelet donations, that seems to give a bit of a boost to your bloood pressure. Sadly,for me it was never enough to get past the alarms on the machines!

Definitely give them a shout, they may give you an appointment to go in and give it a go - but like the blood donation clinics, they couldn't be more nice or supportive, and always appreciate any efforts made towards donating, even if futile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'm not donating blood because for various reasons I am not allowed to.

Receiving a blood transfusion in the 80s and jaundice as a baby were two of the disqualifying reasons when I tried to give blood previously. I think my heart murmur was also a disqualifier.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Date with Dracula again last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Giving blood is seen as a small mark of honour in my family. Those who can donate blood or platelets, do so.

I’ve got my next appointment booked for after Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I would like to but not allowed currently as I am gay.
    Interesting to see UK have changed rules around gay and bisexual men donating.
    Would be good to see Ireland follow suit
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/14/blood-donor-rules-to-be-relaxed-for-gay-and-bisexual-men-in-england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

gmisk wrote: »
    I would like to but not allowed currently as I am gay.
    Interesting to see UK have changed rules around gay and bisexual men donating.
    Would be good to see Ireland follow suit
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/14/blood-donor-rules-to-be-relaxed-for-gay-and-bisexual-men-in-england

I used to give blood when I was very young but stopped giving it for the same reason. As I'm O-Neg I used to get reminders a couple of times as year so I phoned them and asked them to take my name of their mailing list. I still remember the conversation with the very nice woman explaining I was gay who responded, "well if you're sure we'll take your name off! 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Because I don't feel like going 12 months without sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 RLF71

Being AB Neg,I donate regularly.Sometimes it feels they guilt me into it.

In my 20s I gave a fair bit of blood, before discovering I had inflammatory bowel disease and got lots of other health issues. Had tried to offer bone marrow, but Blood Transfusion Service was not exactly well run back then. Later after major surgery I virtually ran the hospital out of blood :D

In my 20s I gave a fair bit of blood, before discovering I had inflammatory bowel disease and got lots of other health issues. Had tried to offer bone marrow, but Blood Transfusion Service was not exactly well run back then. Later after major surgery I virtually ran the hospital out of blood :D
    I signed up few weeks ago for bone marrow donation

Whether il ever hear anything about it again,is a whole other qs

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 74 ✭✭Mickey_James

Waiting times too long.

A good chunk of the evening gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Waiting times too long.

A good chunk of the evening gone.

No waiting times at their own clinics -booked appointments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I used to give my o negative blood regularly up until my mid 20s.
    I had a false positive result during a donation and they said they can't risk taking my blood anymore.
    Turns out I was going through a bad arthritis flare that caused the result.
    I was diagnosed with Arthritis a year later.

Did you ever have any strange blood test results during donations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I don't particularly enjoy donating blood, as I'm wrecked tired and can't run as much for a couple of weeks after. But I'm about as far as you can get from being a professional athlete, so I'm willing to let my training suffer... Kind of worth it for the privilege of, oh you know, potentially saving a life. :)

I'm on a f*ck tonne of medication for numerous mental and physical health conditions, and I'm still eligible. If you're not sure whether you can donate, no harm giving them a quick ring to ask. Any time I've had to ring they've been very helpful.

At the moment they are doing appointment slots (in D'Olier St anyways) so you're in and out quickly, very little waiting around.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Mine is too fizzy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I lived in England. I'm now on blood thinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Gardesana Pecher

I dont run, so theres no point in telling people that I run and donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Had 24 donations to my name before i had to stop due to becoming a diabetic. I am O- with CVM- blood type. On 2 occasions i broke the 3 month donation period due to urgency of CVM- blood for newborn babies. I was also on the platelet and marrow list.

My father had 79 donations before he had to stop for health reasons and my grandfather had 103 donations in his lifetime. I would strongly encourage people to donate if they are able to, that 1 pint may save someones life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

They sucked donation no 50 out of me last week, load of scangers not wearing masks hanging out in the Hotel foyer where the clinic took place, laws are only for the law abiding

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Is the stay in the UK really that much of a big deal? Is your blood actually tainted or are they just super conservative?

Is the stay in the UK really that much of a big deal? Is your blood actually tainted or are they just super conservative?

I thought this was lifted last year and people who lived in the UK prior to 1996 can now give blood again?

They were being super conservative because it's impossible to screen for prion diseases like BSE/CJD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The UK thing is not a big deal anymore, but handling Monkey Fluids is still an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭berocca2016

As a gay man in a monogamous relationship, I would have to not have sex with my partner for 12 months before being able to give blood.

I lived in England. I'm now on blood thinner.

Does Living in England still prohibit you from donating? Even if you lived there in recent years?

Does Living in England still prohibit you from donating? Even if you lived there in recent years?

Not anymore but the word doesn't seem to have got around: https://www.giveblood.ie/can-i-give-blood/keeping-blood-safe/vcjd/

It was if you lived in the UK prior to 1996. Ban was lifted last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Yester

The UK thing is not a big deal anymore, but handling Monkey Fluids is still an issue.

Would you be ok if it was over 12 months since you handled monkey fluids?

Number 35 this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I lived in the UK during the 1990s, so was barred for that reason. Even though that restriction is being loosened as discussed, I can see from the FAQs that I am still barred from donating due to a chronic medical condition I have and the fact that I’m on medication for it. Oh well.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Gave 76 donations.
    Many of them platelets.

Have a slightly irregular pulse. Doctor has signed me off as fine after ECG.

Blood bank erring on the side of caution have struck me off forever.

My one bit if advice, give platelets if you can.
    It's a regular appointment. And goes straight to the most needy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Gave 76 donations.
    Many of them platelets.

Have a slightly irregular pulse. Doctor has signed me off as fine after ECG.

Blood bank erring on the side of caution have struck me off forever.

My one bit if advice, give platelets if you can.
    It's a regular appointment. And goes straight to the most needy

Would love to but I'm in clare and would have to go to cork to give them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

I am not allowed due to lifestyle. I would love to since I have the universal blood type.

I have hemochromatosis (too much iron in the blood), so being able to donate blood saves me 4 visits to the doctor each year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

I've given them 65 units of whole blood now. For the last year it has been practically the only reason I've been in town.

Finding my veins can be a bit of a challenge, and I was asking the attendant how the platelet donors manage it so often.
    She says for that, she likes to be able to see their veins as they come across the room!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

wench wrote: »
    I've given them 65 units of whole blood now. For the last year it has been practically the only reason I've been in town.

Finding my veins can be a bit of a challenge, and I was asking the attendant how the platelet donors manage it so often.
    She says for that, she likes to be able to see their veins as they come across the room!

Yeah the platelets are strict on veins.
    You go in day one for an assessment.
    They only used my right arm, left has a slight turn (cast) in the vein. Blood bank never have an issue with left arm.

Yeah the platelets are strict on veins.
    You go in day one for an assessment.
    They only used my right arm, left has a slight turn (cast) in the vein. Blood bank never have an issue with left arm.

I gave platelets last night. They have more requirements for veins for platelets because they draw the blood and pump it back into the same vein so it comes under more pressure and could potentially rupture.

Platelets take a a bit longer on the day but You’re back to normal in a day or two. Blood takes weeks to grow back. I used to give blood an I’d always notice being tired much sooner when training after the blood donation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I have type 1 diabetes.

I was a regular donor up until I was diagnosed. If you can, do it. It makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

Had 24 donations to my name before i had to stop due to becoming a diabetic. I am O- with CVM- blood type. On 2 occasions i broke the 3 month donation period due to urgency of CVM- blood for newborn babies. I was also on the platelet and marrow list.

My father had 79 donations before he had to stop for health reasons and my grandfather had 103 donations in his lifetime. I would strongly encourage people to donate if they are able to, that 1 pint may save someones life.

As a O- as well it's in our own interest as we can only take O- blood.

Have done 9 and am determined to keep doing every three months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

did they change their rules on mask wearing, I tried to donate before the summer and I missed the time slot but they also wouldnt let me in wearing a mask which I thought was odd. not bothered going back since

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭ax530

I have attempted to give blood twice but they had issues getting it due to my veins and recommended I did not try again. Drs in hospital have also had difficulty even with smaller needles.
    I would like to be a donor may try again in a year or two see if any improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

Used to give blood then one of the nurses snared me afterwards when I was having my drink and biscuits and strongarmed me into giving the platelet clinic in James' a call. Started doing that, going up to James' after work every four weeks, got my 20 donation pin, got my 50 donation pin at a fancy dinner up in the Crown Plaza in Santry. About three years ago I tore some ligaments in my ankle, just as I was able to go back from that I picked up a chest infection, then another thing and another thing and before I knew it five months had gone by and because I'd gotten out of the routine I found myself not exactly pushed to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I've just booked my appointment for tomorrow. My blood type is usually one they can have low stock of.

I can't give platelets because I've had a baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭wench

silverharp wrote: »
    did they change their rules on mask wearing, I tried to donate before the summer and I missed the time slot but they also wouldnt let me in wearing a mask which I thought was odd. not bothered going back since
    Yes, you wear a mask now donating.
    Originally you didn't, because they wanted to see if you were well, particularly during the donation itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

wench wrote: »
    Yes, you wear a mask now donating.
    Originally you didn't, because they wanted to see if you were well, particularly during the donation itself.

I was wondering the reason

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I cannot give blood because I have received a transfusion so thanks to all you blood givers

I was in a great habit with Platelets. Leave here at 9 on a monday morning, booked in for 10. You'd be an hour hooked up to the machine, tea, home before 12 or 1. They told me a few times when I got up there, that I had to go home. I'd have a scratch on a psoriasis patch, and then it became more frequent. So I just stopped going up altogether. You'd have to wait 60 to 90 days I think before you could go back up again. They're less strict with scrapes with the red blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I've been donating for almost 38 years, recently gave my 114th donation, hope to continue donating as long as they'll let me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Went today for my usual appointment and was told that they can no longer accept my blood ... They changed the rules for a particular medication I'm on. Have to be off it at least 7 days before I can donate again. It's a medication I'm likely to be on long-term if not for life, so I guess that's me done, unless the rules change again.

It feels kinda sad in a weird way! I didn't mind donating, and it's good to feel that you're doing something positive for others. My dad would've received blood at various times in the past too, as part of his cancer treatments, so it felt like it was the right thing to do to help other people's family members. Pay it forward ya know. Oh well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I've had a transfusion after 1980, so I'm ineligible

We're importing blood.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1410188832423743488

They've relaxed some of the restrictions around donating after living in england.....hopefully this will bring in a few more people or encourage some lapsed doners to return

• Advertisement
  • Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

I saw that. Normally they'd text or call me because I've a rare blood type but I just realised they didn't. Normally I'd donate in May. I'm getting vaccinated so I need to wait until I'm clear of that then I'll ring them to make an appointment.

Advertisement