Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why aren't you donating blood?

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thats incredible. Well done and thank you. I'm on insulin so I am unable to donate blood 😔 but my wife and son do so regularly. Well my wife did until her cancer diagnosis last year, she is hoping that once the all clear is given. That she can resume donating. My in-laws are very much in the regular donor camp.

Its one of those few acts of almost perfect altruism IMO. You are giving over your blood in the hope that it can be used to aid some unknown person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Why are you leaving them the 0.1% untaxed?

I think if they want to encourage people to donate they should tell them it will help them lose weight..

Which is technically true I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I registered online a few weeks ago. I like that you can see your previous donations (and also deferrals...from when I tried to donate but couldn't, for one reason or another). My earliest donation on record was from 1999, but I first gave blood in the early 90s, before computers were invented. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

THanks, didn't realise that you could register online. I can see all my donations back to 2000, which is interesting. I think they missed marking a few of my more recent ones as unsuccessful, but it's cool all the same. It's handier to be able to book online than to have to phone them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I was very tempted a while back but wasn't able to phone them.

The online option is very useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah that might be a good bet. Truth is there's no tangible advantage to donating blood. You do it for the knowledge that you're helping your fellow human creature in their time of need. A lot of them will be in such need of help that they won't even be in a position to ask. But the donors give blood so others can have it when they need it.

It's a noble thing to do. That's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I also love that it's the easiest, cheapest good deed you'll ever do - it costs nothing but an hour of your time, yet is invaluable to those it goes to help.

The very definition of win/win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭8mv

I was a regular blood donor until cancer treatment a few years ago. I would love to donate again if they would have me. I've tried to convince my adult kids to donate but without success so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Last November the rules changed for gay men again, there is no longer any deferral period.

Now donations are accepted if you have not had a new sexual partner within the last 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I don't give blood, because of a fear or needles and physically feeling sick after I get bloods taken...

Last time I got 2 vials of blood taken, was pasted out, vomited and couldn't function for 2 hours afterwards(feeling weak, dizzy and incredibly irritable)...it's all pyschosematic I'm sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭roshje

Hi, how were you able to check out your previous donations? I went on their website but could find no link to check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I used to be a regular donor of both blood and plasma (when plasma donations were a thing back in the 80's) but I was excluded in about 2010 as I received a transfusion in the early 80's. I check in every now and then to see if the rules have changed but I'm still excluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

No change since my last post here. Like many women I'm not eligible due to the new height/weight requirements they introduced. I used to donate regularly, then couldn't due to illness, then when I could again these new requirements applied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,612 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I’m medically not able donate .😡 On the bright side I can park on double yellow lines .

Really, I didn't think anyone could park on double yellow lines even with a blue badge.

As long as you’re not causing an obstruction you can park nearly anywhere . But double yellows means you probably are an obstruction . Though looking it up you may park for 3 hours I think .

Post edited by cj maxx on

I've had a blue badge for the last 6 years and honestly don't think you can park on double yellow lines at any time. Sorry for going off topic.

I looked if up but but I think as long as you’re not causing an obstruction you’re fine . But parking on a double yellow probably means you are causing an obstruction .

You may park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours if it is safe to do so but not within 15 metres of a junction or where there are restrictions on loading or unloading 

Assuming you've already donated before, you have to register on their website with the information you've previously given them, and I also had my 7-digit Donor ID number. First, click on 'Book an appointment' (and again) which brings you to the page to login or create an account. Just click 'Create an account?' on the right-hand side of the page.

Once you're set up, you'll have these options to check your bloody history: 😃

Hope that helps, but it's hard to explain when you're not actually doing the steps.

• I both donated and received in my time, as my late Dad used to say what goes around comes around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭2forjoy

I'm a B plus which is scarce at times , so will pop up the road to Thurles end next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭roshje

Thanks for that. Yes, I have donated before just can't remember was it late 70s or early 80s. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Created my account, wow didn't know that was available.l, nice to see. Thanks for that info. It doesn't have my full history, says I started in 2002 but I know I had a few pre 1986. I love getting to text saying where the donation was issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I looked briefly into that bit of the site - think it said records only go back so far (presumably 2002!)

On the site, it says their information goes back to 2003 but they have my donations from 1999. I think I first donated in first year in university which would have been 1991/92.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Why not? I care about other people.

Seriously though, fair fox to those who do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭dave62

I can't donate after an angioplasty and stent last month, I thought I'd get to 100 but Im very proud of my 70 AB+ donations.

Hopefully someone will take my place at Dooradoyle clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Beefcake82

Got to 23 donations before i had to stop due to health issues, its a shame cos my blood was compatible for new born babies. Was on marrow register also but cant do that either now.

Advertisement