Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why aren't you donating blood?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

I used to donate but now that I realise most of it goes to fat old useless people I've stopped caring.

:)

also ive injected using sterile single use needles before, even though i know im not infected with anything they dont want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

pgj2015 wrote: »
    i wouldn't trust the health service of Ireland to not infect me by mistake or harm me in some other way.

Doubtful they would accept you to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Infonovice

I'd love to give blood, but not a hope would I last to give the required amount.

I've an Organ Donation card since I was a teen, so hopefully I've redeemed myself a bit

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 78,283 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have 200+ donation credits in the UK, but my blood's not wanted over here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

four times a year since 1982, except for 91/92 as i got a tattoo and they said I couldn't give for three years after it!!!!! must ask if that rule still stands ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,704 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I used to donate regularly when they would come to my workplace. I try to get up to the local school whenever they come this way, but it doesn't always happen. My veins aren't great, so I have about a 50% failure rate. It's a bit frustrating, as I find that their best vein hunter can usually get a good vein, but not all the staff can make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

nlrkjos wrote:
    four times a year since 1982, except for 91/92 as i got a tattoo and they said I couldn't give for three years after it!!!!! must ask if that rule still stands ?
    Its four months now after a tattoo or piercing.

I used to donate but now that I realise most of it goes to fat old useless people I've stopped caring.
    About 1000 transfusions take place every week. 67% go to cancer patients.

Others include surgical patients, haemorrhaging maternity patients and children.

I don't know what "fat old useless people" you're referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Used to, but lived in UK for a while, during the bse years, so now ineligible. Possibly not your best idea ever op, but you got people talking about it- fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Gave quite a bit, got Award from Pres Mary Robinson.

A very healthy and rewarding thing to do.

Also had relatives who received donations and was grateful for them.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lab man wrote: »
    Often have got that call

And again like I said to Autosport, thank you. Type O Neg donations saved my daughters life.

I wish more people could see what a worthwhile and valuable thing blood donating is.

As regards shaming people etc, I'm surprised so many people took the OP serious on that. Silly suggest if he was serious but I think its a wind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

About 1000 transfusions take place every week. 67% go to cancer patients.

Others include surgical patients, haemorrhaging maternity patients and children.

I don't know what "fat old useless people" you're referring to.

you're right, even if its a minority of people that deserve it, i should be donating regardless. it's just keeping more humans alive feels wrong. There's too much population as it is. I just feel apathy about the whole thing.

That and they don't want my blood anyway despite me having no infections, they just dont want to take a chance. Understandable I guess,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I used to donate but a medical condition put a stop to it.

Donor card will just have to compensate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Excluding those with medical conditions, every Irish adult should be donating blood. It's a disgrace that so many don't.

What's your excuse?

I think the government should start a campaign to shame people into doing it. I'm not against (provided it was set up right) a public name-and-shame list of those who don't donate and haven't proven that they can't/or given a proper excuse.

I never have it much thought, and probably won't look any further into it as I can imagine it's hassle.

Also, you sound insane and far too full on about it, which would put me off also. Just in case I came across anyone like you in the vicinity of wherever it is that you give it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I can't donate as I received a blood transfusion many years ago :(

I was grateful to receive it , but it's a pity I can't donate to help someone else .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭mrpdap

I lived in England in the late 80s so I not allowed to donate.
    I think they’re worry that I may have eated a mad cow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

I have private insurance and hospitals charge my insurer if they use blood, I queried this one time as there might have been a chance I needed it. So if I give blood freely and they charge your insurer there is a profit going to someone. Id give my organs before I give my blood as they wouldn't charge my insurer for the organs, but ironically do for the blood.

I'm ineligible to donate due to various medical conditions but I spent some time working in the transfusion service and would encourage anyone to donate who can, it's an amazing thing to do and it's really appreciated. Seeing how low the stock is can be frightening!

I was shocked that just one O Neg patient could send stocks so low that a text alert had to go out.

First time I was in Lebanon was during the civil war (1988), there was also sunni & shia (Amal & Hezbollah) fighting in our Area of Operations and that's not even counting the casualties caused by the Israeli Defence Forces and the South Lebanon Army (Christian militia) so Irish UN soldiers were a great source of blood to local hospitals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

If English blood is no use in our hospitals, what blood do English hospitals use?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

I've donated a few times but every time i've tried lately my feckin hemoglobin levels are too low

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was regularly giving blood until late 2015/early 2016, when the IBTS were using the new machines to test iron which gave falsely high levels. As a result of the high readings I donated more often then I would have been advised to, and ended up severely anemic. I was on prescribed iron and advised not to donate for a year or two. I just never went back to it since then.

The nearest clinic to me is D'Olier Street and the restricted hours don't help at all, as I'm in work when they're open.
    I also weigh exactly 50kgs so if I fluctuate a little, I'd be too light!

I must try again this year and see if my iron is high enough to donate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

My "excuse" is that I had a baby less than a year ago. Donated regularly before that, and will do again as soon as I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

judeboy101 wrote: »
    I have private insurance and hospitals charge my insurer if they use blood, I queried this one time as there might have been a chance I needed it. So if I give blood freely and they charge your insurer there is a profit going to someone. Id give my organs before I give my blood as they wouldn't charge my insurer for the organs, but ironically do for the blood.

Honestly why would you give a sh1t.

Insurance companies are fleecing us so please don't let that logic put you off donating if possible.

If they pay a charge or not is irrelevant and will have no issues on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭Nollog

The one time they were coming around here I got a cold the day before, and their q&a said they didn't want my blood for 2 weeks after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

I used to. When I turned 18 I trotted down to the old Pelican House along the canal, then the place in the city centre. Great free lunch for a sudent, draft Guinness Crisps and biscuits, sometimes buns.

I started going to football games in England and had crap burgers so when the madcows/ CJD broke I was banned from dotating. I had over 20 done I had my pin and all.

After I was clear to go again I did and made somewhere over 30 donations but got a tattoo so was banned again for a few years.

When my sin bin was over I went back to donate again. I was sat in an office by some bitch of a doctor who basically accused me of going in just to get a free HIV test. I donated again that day, left, and never went back.

They sent me letters for years asking me to come again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Donated platelets for the first time yesterday, after 35 blood donations. will hopefully be able to keep that going.

Very weird logic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Unfortunately, lived in England between certain years. Probably ate a few burgers while there, too.

No sign of CJD in any of us, fighting fit and all that, but they don't let you donate with that history, and that's final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

I gave at a blood drive in work last month .... first time in years. I really need to be more regular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ryanch09 wrote: »
    I was born in the UK during the BSE scare in the 90s, so I'm not able to donate, otherwise I absolutely would

I lived there for a while and can't. Quiet incredible considering male homosexuals can give blood and just because I ate a burger in wimpys , I can't!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

I have private insurance and hospitals charge my insurer if they use blood, I queried this one time as there might have been a chance I needed it. So if I give blood freely and they charge your insurer there is a profit going to someone.

Its a fair point. HSE are benefiting from your benevolent gesture. Bad form on their part.

Insurance companies are fleecing us so please don't let that logic put you off donating if possible.
    Its not the Insurance company here that the poster is making the point about
    If they pay a charge or not is irrelevant and will have no issues on you.
    If they pay a charge it is relevant.

Morally the HSE are charging for blood they have received for free (accepting they have a cost to obtain & store). Insurers will pass that cost back to the insured -thus increasing insurance cost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

I lived there for a while and can't. Quiet incredible considering male homosexuals can give blood and just because I ate a burger in wimpys , I can't!

At present, if they are sexually active then no they can't. Unless they abstain for a year or more. In the UK it is three months abstention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

I do it every 3 months. For years I said I would but never did, my job had a blood drive and signed up. Always in and out on my lunch hour, lovely staff in the D'Oilier Street Clinic. The tea, Tayto and biscuits always a treat afterwards.

What makes it even more worthwhile is when you get the text thanking you for your donation and where it has gone to. The text I received from my last donation said it went to Temple Street. I am glad that it gets put to use for someone who needs it.

Regret not doing it a long time ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,854 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

mad cow disease, Moo! , these clowns need to get their act together , needlessly reducing the available supply

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

This has just reminded me that it's now ~100 days since my last donation so :) going to hit my weight loss target tomorrow plus they get an auld pint. Closing in on 100 donations slowly ( in the eighties now)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I really wish I could but I can't due to being sick in my 20s.

It is actually quite restrictive, lots of things that may restrict you either for life or for a few months - if you've had any sort of scope in the past four months for example, that alone would have ruled me out for years as I was getting them every 3 months at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

Honest question here - if you're a high risk fainter, would they want you donating blood? I've had blood taken by doctors 2/3 times and almost passed out or vomited each time. They told me I have "tiny veins" and struggled to get more than 2 small viles worth of blood so I always thought I'd be a terrible candidate for blood donation, but have always wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

This has just reminded me that it's now ~100 days since my last donation so going to hit my weight loss target tomorrow plus they get an auld pint. Closing in on 100 donations slowly ( in the eighties now)

As soon as I've donated, I enter the next date of eligibility in Google Calendar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I have donated in the past but I have very bad veins so like a previous poster I've been sent home a few times. Or a few of them take turns to have a go at me and leave my arms in a mess. Was feeling guilty that I haven't gone in ages so was looking up the links/faqs there. Apparently you can't donate for 12 months after a miscarriage so that's me barred till the autumn of this year.

• Advertisement

scdublin wrote:
    Honest question here - if you're a high risk fainter, would they want you donating blood? I've had blood taken by doctors 2/3 times and almost passed out or vomited each time. They told me I have "tiny veins" and struggled to get more than 2 small viles worth of blood so I always thought I'd be a terrible candidate for blood donation, but have always wanted to.
    If you do decide to try donating you should be well hydrated and eaten well that day. Avoid being in a hot room, dont so strenuous exercise or be on your feet for too long before donating.

If you do faint during a donation i think they stop the process for safety reasons. I hate having blood taken too, but i just breathe, look away and try to keep your mind on something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Before I was diagnosed with arthritis (so they won’t take it) I always donated. In fact I have a silver chain from my contributions and half way towards my next gift. The last time I donated I had a huge autoimmune condition that made me extremely unwell, (no risk to anyone who got my blood) but after I left the clinic I was sitting out in the hotel bar having a 7up, when all of a sudden I got extremely unwell. I rushed to the bathroom to be sick but collapsed in there and of the staff from the hotel found me and got the dr from the blood clinic.

When I was well enough they brought me back down to the blood clinic, put me lying down, got the fan out. They told me there and then I wasn’t going to be able to donate anymore, and they made me wait until someone came to pick me up from the clinic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

As far as I know I don't fall into any of the restricted categories, and every time this thread comes up I really mean to go and give. The only remaining reason is that it's really not that convenient at the moment. If I can nip out and do it at lunchtime I'll make it work over next few weeks, not sure there is a feasible location near work, and cycling to and from probably isn't recommended. O have gotten a bit light headed the last few time I've had blood taken for tests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Had a blood transfusion years ago when I got a nosebleed that needed surgery to stop. That bars me for life from donating, which strikes me as a bit mad.

From an awful lot of the stories here one thing that stands out is that for something their so desperate for, they're unreal fussy about getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

From an awful lot of the stories here one thing that stands out is that for something their so desperate for, they're unreal fussy about getting it.

I wonder do they have any reasons, or do you think it's for kicks and giggles?

• Advertisement

I wonder do they have any reasons, or do you think it's for kicks and giggles?

I don't know how bad it is but you'd think some of something that might work would be better than what definitely won't work (ie: none).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I might be showing myself up here by being completely stupid , but can someone explain to me why you can't donate if you've previously had a transfusion ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I don't know how bad it is but you'd think some of something that might work would be better than what definitely won't work (ie: none).

I responded to another poster very early in the thread. It is pointless accepting a donation from someone who's blood can't be used. All blood is screened and this comes at a cost. It is better to screen out as much as possible before a needle is used.

I responded to another poster very early in the thread. It is pointless accepting a donation from someone who's blood can't be used. All blood is screened and this comes at a cost. It is better to screen out as much as possible before a needle is used.

But are they over screening beforehand? Everything costs, which is grand if there's enough coming in, but it regularly sounds like there isn't enough coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

scdublin wrote: »

To be honest I’d say not, the staff in the blood clinics are rushed off their feet enough without having to deal with people fainting and making a mess (it happens).

However, and I really mean this, go and have a look, join the queue, have a chat with them. Go through with it as far as you feel comfortable, but, as soon as you start to get that queasy feeling let them know and don’t be shy about it.

So yes, give it a go, if it doesn’t work don’t beat yourself up. It’s not an easy process for your body to go through and there’s bigger tougher people than you that can’t handle it.

Interestingly, I find donating blood a lot harder on the body than doing platelets. Platelets just make me dehydrated a bit, giving full blood really saps the energy for a period of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement