Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why aren't you donating blood?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

mzungu wrote: »
    At present, if they are sexually active then no they can't. Unless they abstain for a year or more. In the UK it is three months abstention.

And I have a lifetime ban for eating a hamburger 30 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I responded to another poster very early in the thread. It is pointless accepting a donation from someone who's blood can't be used. All blood is screened and this comes at a cost. It is better to screen out as much as possible before a needle is used.

But the only thing barring me is the fact that I had a blood transfusion in an Irish hospital five years ago. If that's enough to bar me for life, does that mean that they're not confident in the blood I was given?

Not trying to be a smart-arse here, genuinely at a loss as too their reasoning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

But the only thing barring me is the fact that I had a blood transfusion in an Irish hospital five years ago. If that's enough to bar me for life, does that mean that they're not confident in the blood I was given?

I've asked that question too , why can't we donate ?
    I don't understand the reasoning behind it tbh .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I might be showing myself up here by being completely stupid , but can someone explain to me why you can't donate if you've previously had a transfusion ?

They really do not advertise this (I have no idea why) but AFAIK it relates to the risk of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) and the possibility that other unknown viruses may be in there.

They can't screen for CJD so they have to be certain. Hence why we do not take blood from Northern ireland or mainland UK. The policy was first introduced by the IBTS in 2004 following the first confirmed case of CJD transmission via blood transfusion in the UK.

The policy is under constant review so hopefully at some stage in the future you will be able to give blood again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

You could always ask the BTS. They have criteria they follow, some is obvious others not so much. Btw my answer was not intended to be smart either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I might be showing myself up here by being completely stupid , but can someone explain to me why you can't donate if you've previously had a transfusion ?
    Stops re-transmission of anything in the blood. Any cycle is stopped before it starts.

The only reason for Mad Cow Disease being so widespread was they kept recycling animals into animal feed.

And then they killed all the moo cows :eek:

And then there was foot and mouth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,081 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Stops re-transmission of anything in the blood. Any cycle is stopped before it starts.

The only reason for Mad Cow Disease being so widespread was they kept recycling animals into animal feed.

And then there was foot and mouth.

Ah , am a bit of a mad cow anyway :o

Thanks to you and mzungu for explaining , still saddened that my blood is no use to anyone bar me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A friend of ours worked there (BTS) and during the various scandals, one of the very senior people, chiefly responsible, tried to shift the blame onto her, despite her a relatively junior member of staff. I wouldn't trust them to deliver newspapers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Mam of 4 wrote:
    I've asked that question too , why can't we donate ? I don't understand the reasoning behind it tbh .

Most people know of blood types as being A, B, AB or O, rhesus positive or negative, but there are many other antigens that can also be present.

If you have had a transfusion, you have been stimulated with many different blood cell membrane antigens. Some antigens are not highly antigenic so you will probably not develop antibodies. But if you DO develop antibodies after receiving a transfusion, those antibodies can cause a haemolytic transfusion reaction in the recipient.

If you have an antibody it is harder to find compatible blood if you need it.
    That’s why blood from someone that never had a previous transfusion is preferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Stovepipe wrote: »
    ....... I wouldn't trust them to deliver newspapers.

I came to the same view following an encounter with BTS management some years ago.

I hope management have mended their ways in recent years.

• Advertisement

Every unit a person is transfused with is cross matched against the recipient.

A sample of the donor and recipients blood is mixed together to determine if there's a reaction.

There must be 100% confidence that a blood product will not cause a reaction to the patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

I use to give platelets the whole time when I lived in Ireland. I moved to Canada and they dont accept Irish blood for the Cjd reasons, similar as to why Irish wont accept English blood.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

mzungu wrote: »
    They really do not advertise this (I have no idea why) but AFAIK it relates to the risk of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) and the possibility that other unknown viruses may be in there.

They can't screen for CJD so they have to be certain. Hence why we do not take blood from Northern ireland or mainland UK. The policy was first introduced by the IBTS in 2004 following the first confirmed case of CJD transmission via blood transfusion in the UK.

The policy is under constant review so hopefully at some stage in the future you will be able to give blood again.

Ah this is likely correct, I was looking at their site last night to see if I could find a reason why and you can donate if you received a blood transfusion prior to 1980.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

https://www.giveblood.ie/Can-I-Give-Blood/Keeping-Blood-Safe/

So a man can't give blood if he has had oral sex with another man. But a woman can give blood if she has had oral sex with a man? Am I interpreting that incorrectly? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Trump Is Right

https://www.giveblood.ie/Can-I-Give-Blood/Keeping-Blood-Safe/

So a man can't give blood if he has had oral sex with another man. But a woman can give blood if she has had oral sex with a man? Am I interpreting that incorrectly? :confused:

I think homosexuals are a much bigger risk factor for blood viruses, than hetero? That could be the reason. Just a guess!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Male homosexuals are was a big risk factor according to IBTS logic. There has never been a restriction on women who have sex with women

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Space Dog

I used to donate regularly in my late teens/early twenties, but had two experiences that put me off it for life: My blood pressure once went so low that I couldn't leave the place for an hour and the doctors on site started to get worried. The last time I went they probably hit a nerve and I had nerve damage that took several months to improve. I know that this is very very rare and I've been quite unlucky. These days I couldn't donate anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭baldshin

Just a mini rant to resurrect the thread- I would guess that the reason some people don't donate is because of the wait times in non Dublin clinics. I'm currently sat in a clinic, knowing I'll be here at least 2 hours because of the queue. So far I've seen 5 people come in, look at the queue, and leave. It's hard to blame them. It's one thing to ask people to donate some blood, it's another to ask them to donate some blood plus 2-3 hours of their midweek evening. Should be a quick and easy process, maybe even using appointment time slots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

baldshin wrote: »
    Just a mini rant to resurrect the thread- I would guess that the reason some people don't donate is because of the wait times in non Dublin clinics. I'm currently sat in a clinic, knowing I'll be here at least 2 hours because of the queue. So far I've seen 5 people come in, look at the queue, and leave. It's hard to blame them. It's one thing to ask people to donate some blood, it's another to ask them to donate some blood plus 2-3 hours of their midweek evening. Should be a quick and easy process, maybe even using appointment time slots.

You can donate platelets by appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭baldshin

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

That's just in Dublin or Cork though, or is it?

Fr_Dougal wrote:

I live in the Midlands to donate platelets I would have to travel quite a distance and tbh the cost of doing so would turn me off donating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I donated regularly for about 30 years and was on the list for regular text message reminders when I was allowed to go again. Sometimes I couldn't due to illness, or having visited somewhere, but I did it whenever I could..... until I developed a medical condition that now prohibits me from donating.

That's what happens and people are written off the active list for lots and lots of reasons. That's why it's vital that those who can, do. You never know the day or the reason that you will be stopped, but you have to trust that they are not making it more difficult to frustrate donors, it's simply to protect patients.

In all those years I always thought the time lost and whatever other complications arose (a bit of discomfort or a bruise), were a very small price to pay for literally saving lives by lying down and sqeezing a plastic bone.

I have several family members who are still here only because of donations received and I would continue to donate, if I could.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭goldenhoarde

Really appreciate these texts knowing my donation is being used (it was issued 6 days after I donated)

Now must set a reminder for the 6th June for my next donation

"Thanks for donating on 08-Mar. Your donation has just been issued to St James's. Why not share how good it feels to save lives IBTS"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭Qrt

I would but I’m still gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I was very disappointed to be turned away because I'd been resident in UK for many years. I don't recall the exact details of the perceived risk. (Could someone remind me pls?)

• Advertisement

I was very disappointed to be turned away because I'd been resident in UK for many years. I don't recall the exact details of the perceived risk. (Could someone remind me pls?)

CJD. Mad cow disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I used to donate I'm 0 rhesus negative and often got calls to donate. However for last 15 years I'm getting b12 shots so I was told I could no longer donate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I can’t as I lived in the UK during the 80’s/90’s. Also pregnant and anaemic at the moment so definitely rules me out!

Wonder will the UK ban ever be lifted. I’d do it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

CJD. Mad cow disease.

Of course. I always thought CJD was related to spinal chord and brain tissue. Probably no screening test for CJD.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

I’ve never donated blood, I never will either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have not been able to donate for many years, but I was grateful to whoever donated the three pouches of blood I got in Waterford just before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

TomasMacR wrote: »
    I’ve never donated blood, I never will either.

Why?

I'm up to 38 donations now. It'll take another few years to get to 50.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    Why?

I'm up to 38 donations now. It'll take another few years to get to 50.

I should’ve explained after re reading the thread title...too busy, pushed to the brink in terms of spare time and pay massive amounts for family health insurance. I do my best to help out in other walks of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I should’ve explained after re reading the thread title...too busy, pushed to the brink in terms of spare time and pay massive amounts for family health insurance. I do my best to help out in other walks of life.

Too busy is always relative, I used to be 'too busy' and it nearly killed me, resulting in me not being able to donate anymore. I now go to considerable effort not to be 'too busy' - life lesson learnt.

Out of genuine interest, what does the reference to paying health insurance mean?. I don't get how that relates to donating or not donating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I donate platelets and can't at the minute as my pulse a bit low.

ECG done and waiting to hear back.

For those earlier worried about the queue and long waits. Book in for platelets. Can go every month but they're happy to have you every 2 or 3 months.

Appreciate it's only Dublin or cork. But 3 or 4 spins to Dublin a year isn't that hard for some (not all) people.

Can work in with seeing people or IKEA or whatever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Excluded from it, like many others, due to a period of living in the UK. Still not mad!:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I received a blood transfusion after a difficult childbirth almost killed me.
    I looked into donating myself after this, as I was so thankful, but having that transfusion rules me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭sonic85

I made a balls of one donation - I forgot to declare a panadol or something I took earlier in the day for a headache. I remembered just before I got on the table but they weren't impressed. Haven't donated since that day and doubt I will again

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Too busy is always relative, I used to be 'too busy' and it nearly killed me, resulting in me not being able to donate anymore. I now go to considerable effort not to be 'too busy' - life lesson learnt.

Out of genuine interest, what does the reference to paying health insurance mean?. I don't get how that relates to donating or not donating.

I'd be too busy in the sense of if I do have some free time, which I do of course I don't really want to give blood during it. Also, there was a neighbour of ours some time ago who used tell us as often as possible that he was a blood donor, stickers all over his car and the rest...a right pain in the hole to listen to. He used brag about how it would knock the bollocks out of him energy wise but 'it was worth it, for that warm fuzzy feeling' he would get knowing he was helping someone. Cut some aul wans grass if thats the case or something that won't leave you in bits for the rest of the day.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

I used to but I've lived in Asia, which makes me a bad boy in their books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I farted once so am now stricken off their list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

I'd be too busy in the sense of if I do have some free time, which I do of course I don't really want to give blood during it. Also, there was a neighbour of ours some time ago who used tell us as often as possible that he was a blood donor, stickers all over his car and the rest...a right pain in the hole to listen to. He used brag about how it would knock the bollocks out of him energy wise but 'it was worth it, for that warm fuzzy feeling' he would get knowing he was helping someone. Cut some aul wans grass if thats the case or something that won't leave you in bits for the rest of the day.

Because cutting grass is more important than saving a life :rolleyes:

Just admit it's not the time, you are too scared to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,704 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

sonic85 wrote: »
    I made a balls of one donation - I forgot to declare a panadol or something I took earlier in the day for a headache. I remembered just before I got on the table but they weren't impressed. Haven't donated since that day and doubt I will again
    Ah jaysus, would you get over yourself and get down there next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

I would love to (and I did in the past) but then lived in the UK for a few years so can't now. I saw how important it was when my dad was ill, he needed a lot of blood transfusions. He had been a great donor before he got ill :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

People who don't donate (who could) are either selfish or lazy.

There should be a system where, when in hospital, persons who are regular donors recieve priority treatment, especially when blood supplies are low.

I know this will never happen because life is not fair, which is a shame.

TomasMacR wrote:
    I'd be too busy in the sense of if I do have some free time, which I do of course I don't really want to give blood during it....

...Cut some aul wans grass if thats the case or something that won't leave you in bits for the rest of the day.
    A couple of hours out of your time could literally save someones life. If no one gave blood there would be countless fatalities to children, women giving birth, patients having any open surgery and those with cancer.

Cutting someones grass pales significantly in comparison to the great act of blood donation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Ah jaysus, would you get over yourself and get down there next week.

I don't think they should. Next time might forget about riding a leper in the far East.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Rang up the national blood center last week, as they had me black listed last year, for open wounds on my knees where I have psoriasis. Got the all clear, and rocked in to my local clinic last Tuesday. Got a good selection of pens on the way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Have you asked your job if you can do a blood run in the company and do it at lunch? Only takes 60 mins max..

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

riemann wrote: »
    People who don't donate (who could) are either selfish or lazy.

There should be a system where, when in hospital, persons who are regular donors recieve priority treatment, especially when blood supplies are low.

I know this will never happen because life is not fair, which is a shame.

Yeeeeeeeikes.

I think organ donation should be opt out but this is an extreme. Denying/deliberately delaying treatment should not be what we do in this country...

Advertisement