Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why aren't you donating blood?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

riemann wrote:
    There should be a system where, when in hospital, persons who are regular donors recieve priority treatment, especially when blood supplies are low.

Dreadful suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Because I'm gay. Practically celebate but do you think they'd listen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I had an operation that led to a transfusion in the eighties when I was two years old. Am prohibited from donating because of that. The irony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Lived in the UK in the 80's...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I don't agree with this silly "name and shame" thing (which was just to get a rise) - it's a personal choice. But still, I also don't get why someone who can donate blood wouldn't - fear of needles or just a general discomfort with it, I guess? Which I suppose is understandable, but if it's just the "other people can do it" attitude, well that's pretty smug when you never know when you or a loved one could need that transfusion. And thank feck other people will do it and don't all have that attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

astrofool wrote: »
    Lived in the UK in the 80's...

Same here. I did donate before leaving and enjoyed the pint after! Will gladly donate if the restriction is ever lifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I have given blood hundreds of times, but my age now bars me. I am a long time advocate of blood donations and have encouraged many to start donating. But naming and shaming, or offering tax incentives, is a step rather too far.
    I'm a regular donor myself and I agree that it wouldn't be a good idea to name and shame or similar. But a token tax incentive might be good. It would probably cost too much to administer though.

It's hard to talk about donation without sounding pushy but the reasons people don't donate are usually really weak. "I don't like needles"; nobody likes needles. If you liked needles you'd be weird.

No offence to the people who genuinely can't give blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Naydy

I donated and attempted to donate many times. Most times it was fine, but my Hb always bordered the minimum haemoglobin levels for giving blood. While I tried my best to up my iron intake, sometimes it would fall just below the minimum level of 12 and they would have to turn me away.

Then they upped the minimum Hb levels needed for women to give blood to 12.5 and it is very difficult for me to get my Hb level to reach that, let alone keep it consistently. Short of living on iron tablets which don't agree with me at all it just isn't attainable for me. I think it's such a shame that they upped it. I never had any trouble giving blood, never once felt faint and always had nurses commenting on how great my veins were, haha. I miss the sense of community from it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

ToddyDoody wrote: »
    Because I'm gay. Practically celebate but do you think they'd listen?

Genuinely thought they had done away with this...nonsense.
    riemann wrote: »
    People who don't donate (who could) are either selfish or lazy.

There should be a system where, when in hospital, persons who are regular donors recieve priority treatment, especially when blood supplies are low.

I know this will never happen because life is not fair, which is a shame.

why is someone that does not give blood by choice any more selfish or lazy than someone that does? I mentioned I was too busy earlier and did enough in life in other areas to help out. I didn't want to go into specifics but as expected there have been some hostile responses so here you are...most of my spare time is given to down syndrome, my nephew is downs and most of my evenings and weekends are given to him, both for him and to give his folks a moment. We're also involved in fund raising and events, aren't we great? No. We are just doing our bit for a cause we believe in and if anyone else doesn't want to get involved that's OK. As far as I am concerned we are saving lives too. Blood donation does not give some exclusivity on 'saving lives'...if you donate blood, maybe there are no other priorities in your life so don't judge people as 'lazy or selfish' if they don't because perhaps they have far more pressing issues to deal with other than 'saving lives' of other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I wanted to be a blood donor. I looked into it and even wanted to be a bone marrow donor. It turns out the universe played a cruel joke and I can be neither. When I was a child, my siblings gave me the nickname "veins" because you can clearly see the veins running down either side of my face :o I have varicose veins in my legs. I basically have veins everywhere except my elbow, which is the only place they will take blood from.

The last time I had to get a blood sample taken at the doctors office, the nurse had to get a small needle and take it from my hand.

I would love to be able to donate blood but I'd only be wasting their time if I went back. My veins are too small. When I was there I told the nurse I didn't mind if she had to poke around a bit but I was told that with regulations, they couldn't do that. Fair enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

I had jaundice as a baby which ruled me out. A few years back I received a transfusion and am grateful to the donor.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

I was a donor until I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I am so disappointed that I can't donate anymore.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

ellieh1 wrote: »
    I was a donor until I was recently diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I am so disappointed that I can't donate anymore.

You sound like a donor alright.

"I have contracted a debilitating, life altering condition.

Aww... that means I can't donate blood any more."

:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

ogsjw wrote: »

:P

It means the person realises how important health is compared to anything else and that the minor inconvenience of a couple of hours spent donating blood every few months so that someone might live to see their family another day is inconsequential.

It means the person realises how important health is compared to anything else and that the minor inconvenience of a couple of hours spent donating blood every few months so that someone might live to see their family another day is inconsequential.

Am I still “too scared” to donate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭TPF2012

Are you sure this rules you out. I think they changed the rules on this?

The jaundice bit.

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Am I still “too scared” to donate?

Perhaps? are you?

It might be of interest to you to realise that people with Down's syndrome are more likely to develop various blood disorders including leukaemia and so will probably at some stage require a transfusion.

Are you honestly claiming you can't spare a couple of hours once every three-four months?

The thing about blood is there is no way currently to make it, it's not as if someone can build a factory and sell it. It can only come from those who are well enough to donate it.

I donated whenever I could, can't anymore following an anaphylactic reaction last year so now I am hoping that there are enough people donating to supply anyone who needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

He's mouthing off for attention, ignore the dickbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Did it for years, hung up my boots now. Getting on a bit, and found last year I was not feeling great after it. So I did my bit, but no more now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Banned. Superbanned. Three different categories in fact. None of them pose any realistic risk to the blood supply and I'd be allowed donate in most other countries.

Actually had an IBTS employee try convince me (when they were very drunk) to just lie as I'm O- which they can really do with more of.

• Advertisement

Is this directed at me?

Genuinely thought they had done away with this...nonsense.

why is someone that does not give blood by choice any more selfish or lazy than someone that does? I mentioned I was too busy earlier and did enough in life in other areas to help out. I didn't want to go into specifics but as expected there have been some hostile responses so here you are...most of my spare time is given to down syndrome, my nephew is downs and most of my evenings and weekends are given to him, both for him and to give his folks a moment. We're also involved in fund raising and events, aren't we great? No. We are just doing our bit for a cause we believe in and if anyone else doesn't want to get involved that's OK. As far as I am concerned we are saving lives too. Blood donation does not give some exclusivity on 'saving lives'...if you donate blood, maybe there are no other priorities in your life so don't judge people as 'lazy or selfish' if they don't because perhaps they have far more pressing issues to deal with other than 'saving lives' of other people.
    Oh yeah that whole "saving lives" nonsense. :pac:

It's understandable - you've got a lot going on. I don't think people who don't donate should be dismissed as lazy, selfish etc unless people actually know about their lives. But donating blood does help save lives - no need for the quote marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 An tAlbanach

Lived in UK during exclusion period. Presumably high risk of mad cow. I used to donate platelets every 6 weeks until I left. Now waiting until this is lifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I tried before but they refused it on hearing I've had to take iron supplements in the past. It's something I would take the odd time now but is not near as necessary as it was. I'd be very reluctant to lie/lie by omission to them it doesn't seem right. Have not ruled it out in the future or platelets either.

Oh yeah that whole "saving lives" nonsense. :pac:

It's understandable - you've got a lot going on. I don't think people who don't donate should be dismissed as lazy, selfish etc unless people actually know about their lives. But donating blood does help save lives - no need for the quote marks.

No need for the sarcasm either. Plenty of need for the quote marks when someone claims that not giving blood is either “selfish or lazy”. Is it that simple?

There are plenty of ways to save lives in different ways, giving blood is only one way to try. It is not an exclusive badge of honour, there are people on phone lines right now talking to people saving lives, that in my opinion is a lot tougher than sitting in a chair with a needle in your arm doing very little.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭ogsjw

Who are you referring to? Because I was praising the poster I quoted for continuing to think of others above themselves even after such a serious diagnosis... hopefully that was clear.

No need for the sarcasm either. Plenty of need for the quote marks when someone claims that not giving blood is either “selfish or lazy”. Is it that simple?

There are plenty of ways to save lives in different ways, giving blood is only one way to try. It is not an exclusive badge of honour, there are people on phone lines right now talking to people saving lives, that in my opinion is a lot tougher than sitting in a chair with a needle in your arm doing very little.

"sitting in a chair with a needle in your arm doing very little", exactly why those who can do should do it.

L1011 wrote:
    Actually had an IBTS employee try convince me (when they were very drunk) to just like as I'm O- which they can really do with more of.

What?

What?

just lie - minor typo removed all meaning from that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

The reason I havnt donated is because, in my town, they seem to always set up their donation services in the most awkward places to get to, generally schools on the outskirts of town, only suitable if you have your own transport and they only provide the donation service once or twice a year with no notice and theyre gone within a day or two.

If services where accessible I would give blood without a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

I do donate from time to time, did every 3 months when I was based in Dublin and could just pop into them. Now the wait time puts me off. Can be up to 2 hours.
    They're usually in my area for one evening and depending on work one could easily miss it.

I also hate the fact that when you fill in your form etc and put it into the basket.. Some nurses take the forms from the front, some from the back.. So you could end up waiting even longer with ppl that arrived after you now going in front. They need a new system.

I'd be a fan of appointments tbh. I have that god blood so they could atleast fast track me (joke... Sorta)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ellieh1

ogsjw wrote:

ogsjw wrote:

ogsjw wrote:

It's great to know that you understand that Crohn's is debilitating and life alterating but it's very ignorant to think that I have used this as an excuse not to donate. The decision not to be able to donate was not made by me but rather by the blood transfusion board and I am sure if there was anyway they could take my blood they would due to the huge necessity for blood. Maybe you should spend more time encouraging people instead of judging people without all the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I live in the US and wanted to donate after a mass shooting in my city where they were short of blood. I was surprised to find out that former residents of pretty much most of the EU are excluded, including ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I live in the US and wanted to donate after a mass shooting in my city where they were short of blood. I was surprised to find out that former residents of pretty much most of the EU are excluded, including ireland.

Fair play to you, at least you tried.

I'm agreeing with you mostly - you've a lot going on, there are other ways to help folk, and a person shouldn't be deemed lazy and selfish unless those claiming this actually know them. I just thought the use of quote marks in relation to something so important looked a little facetious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Where would you find out about donation centers ?

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Where would you find out about donation centers ?

https://www.giveblood.ie/Find-a-Clinic/Clinic-Finder/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’ve done it a few times.hard to get the time lately.plus the q and a session goes on forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

I used to donate regularly. Due to an on-going health issue, I haven't been allowed to donate for just over a year, and there's a possibility I'll never be eligible to donate again.

Hopefully I'll be back to donating in the next year or so though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Back into the country a while know. Want to donate more often. But I need a lift in and home as I’ll probably faint after giving blood

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Back into the country a while know. Want to donate more often. But I need a lift in and home as I’ll probably faint after giving blood

Why would you faint? Once you eat and have some water, there's no reason why you'd faint unless you're ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

milhous wrote: »

I'd be a fan of appointments tbh. I have that god blood so they could atleast fast track me (joke... Sorta)

I have God blood. B-, only 2-3% of people have it. They should come and collect me, have form filled in, give me a dinner, then drop me home.

Actually donating tomorrow on way home. Usually in and out in 40 mins. Great sleep after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

They wont let me cos i lived in the UK in the 90's and could be carrying CJD!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

I donated blood for circa 3-4 years, and I progressed to donating blood platelets for about a year. Blood donations were generally ok, the staff were nice but had one that insisted I lied down and made me late for work just because I had the hiccups. Also only being open on weekdays during working hours was a pain. Grand other than that, and the odd moody staff member.

When it came to donating platelets, although I met the criteria to be able to donate them, many times I had to be turned away because my iron level was just below their acceptable threshold level. Whenever this happened I was told I wouldn't be able to come donate for a few months (something like 6 months, not sure) but if you passed you could donate once a month. One of those times the platelets were still taken and I was only told that I was just under the level and still had to wait the set time before doing it again. I remember looking up the british and american blood transfusion website on their criteria regarding the iron levels for donating platelets and theirs' were much lower than the irish one, which really annoyed me when I would have been under by 0.5 or more each time. It really put me off eventually.

last time I went to donate was at a blood drive in UCC (just blood this time) was waiting over an hour - then when I was called I found out that I couldn't donate as I had used an epipen before so that put an end to that.

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I have God blood. B-, only 2-3% of people have it. They should come and collect me, have form filled in, give me a dinner, then drop me home.

Actually donating tomorrow on way home. Usually in and out in 40 mins. Great sleep after it.

People with B- can be given O- and AB- also; they one they constantly need is O- as people with O- can only be given O-; and O- can be given to anyone and is what they need in such an urgent situation they can't get a type test done in time.

As someone who also can no longer donate I can understand how it is disappointing to ineligible to donate, however the problem of limited blood supplies isn't caused by those who can't donate, it's caused by those who won't donate.

It makes sense to try and ensure that donated blood has minimal risks of causing health issues in the recipients who are already likely to be in a life-threatening situation.
    This includes the risk of CJD (if you have lived in the UK during the relevant years then you have already a higher chance of developing CJD, do you really think it's a good idea to pass that risk onto someone who is already ill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

I have to say you feel great after you give blood and I'm a reasonably frequent donor and hopefully helps someone in need.

I feel the setup in Dublin centre though is very unwelcoming and inefficient. The ticket machine was not in use the last time I was there. You have to judge your place in the queue by guessing and it's a jumble between first time donors and regular donors. There is no signage and it is assumed you know the process. Staff also look bored.

I was accused of jumping the queue last time I went! There seems to be no difference between whether or not you have an appointment other than they may or may not ask you. I was also told one day curtly 'no walk ins'. I feel they could do with the Brennans Brother for a make-over and modernisation. I still persist but sorta dread it.

How does anyone else find the experience. Am I being too harsh?

I live in a Midlands town and find the times of clinics useless, I work shifts and the only real appropriate time for me is weekends. I'm O neg and I know how important it is for me to donate but I just can't risk going to work after and having an accident. It's an industrial environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

I feel the setup in Dublin centre though is very unwelcoming and inefficient. The ticket machine was not in use the last time I was there. You have to judge your place in the queue by guessing and it's a jumble between first time donors and regular donors. There is no signage and it is assumed you know the process. Staff also look bored.

I donate in Stillorgan and I have to say I have never had a negative experience. I would prefer if the clinic would stay open an hour later to 9pm, as making it there for 7 can be a challenge. 1 weekend day a month would also be great, as sometimes Tues-Thurs just does not work for me.

But I have to say they have always been super friendly, place is spotlessly clean and only once have they failed to get a vein first time ! Normally fill the bag in less than 10 minutes, but I do tend to drink lots of water the day I donate ... Never more than an hour in and out !

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭SaltSweatSugar

I’ve never donated but it’s on my list of things to do this year.

I’m ashamed that I’ve never done it but I’m really bad at getting blood taken. I get weak and feel like I’m about to pass out.

It’s one thing I’m desperate to do because I know how vital it is but I know I just need to put on my big girl pants and do it. I don’t need a guilt trip because I already feel bad about it. I just have this psychological block that I’m trying hard to overcome.

• Advertisement
Advertisement