Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why aren't you donating blood?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I have God blood. B-, only 2-3% of people have it. They should come and collect me, have form filled in, give me a dinner, then drop me home.

Actually donating tomorrow on way home. Usually in and out in 40 mins. Great sleep after it.

Ah yeah, was joking. All blood types are important. Everyone can receive O negative so it's sought after. Think about 7% of Irish ppl have O negative so it's not outrageously uncommon but I suppose only a fraction of them can donate and less again do so not enough O neg to keep the supply up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Why aren't you donating blood?

I've done it before, but the only excuses I have now are: time poor, busy lifestyle, ignorance of where & how and mainly laziness. But after reading some of the posts on this thread I googled clinics and there's one five minutes away from my house. Going on Sunday week as I'm away next weekend.

Nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

I’ve never donated but it’s on my list of things to do this year.

I’m ashamed that I’ve never done it but I’m really bad at getting blood taken. I get weak and feel like I’m about to pass out.

It’s one thing I’m desperate to do because I know how vital it is but I know I just need to put on my big girl pants and do it. I don’t need a guilt trip because I already feel bad about it. I just have this psychological block that I’m trying hard to overcome.

I started donating while my wife was having our first child. She ended up in hospital quite a bit and was like a pin cushion for half it with the amount of needles used. I decided to show morale support and give blood and was delighted I had taken the plunge to do so...

In terms of feeling weak/passing out - it happens quite a bit. Just take your time before you leave and ensure you take on lots of sugar afterwards. Drink plenty of water beforehand as well.

Honestly, you wont regret it. Its something that takes about 4 hours per year, and does untold good to those who need it !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

Because I was told my BMI was too low.

milhous wrote: »
    Ah yeah, was joking. All blood types are important. Everyone can receive O negative so it's sought after. Think about 7% of Irish ppl have O negative so it's not outrageously uncommon but I suppose only a fraction of them can donate and less again do so not enough O neg to keep the supply up.

https://www.giveblood.ie/ gives the current stocks for the blood. O- and A- both have 4 days stocks, with A+, O+ and B- at 5 days stocks.

I have given blood hundreds of times, but my age now bars me. I am a long time advocate of blood donations and have encouraged many to start donating. But naming and shaming, or offering tax incentives, is a step rather too far.

Absolutely agree with this. It is something people either want to do, or they don't. We need to stop this idea of forcing people to do things they don't want to.

People don't donate for a number of reasons, from laziness to fear to time poor. I do try and encourage people to donate, but I am sure only a fraction of people I suggest do !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Can we just blame climate change for lack of blood donors, it used for every other thing so why not this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

https://www.giveblood.ie/ gives the current stocks for the blood. O- and A- both have 4 days stocks, with A+, O+ and B- at 5 days stocks.
    I'm AB Rh negative, so pretty rare and not much use really. I see from your link they've got 14 days supply of the stuff. I do recall from way back when someone in the field telling me some component of my blood was useful, but can't recall which.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Can we just blame climate change for lack of blood donors, it used for every other thing so why not this?

Its clearly Fianna Fail's fault.. has to be !

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    I do recall from way back when someone in the field telling me some component of my blood was useful, but can't recall which.

Sorry, not a clue on that one. Best ask an expert in the field :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Because they told not me not to come again as they can't get the required amount within the time limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

My parents are Jehovah's Witnesses so we grew up in a household where donating & receiving blood was a serious no no.

Was rather annoying as when I was old enough to finally reject that religious nonsense, regularly donating was one of the first things I wanted to start doing - only to find out I can't due to a medical condition!

Seems they had the last laugh in the end :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Though a confirmed agnostic, I have mused O, that if a deity exists the bugger has one helluva sense of humour as a defining characteristic. Something confirmed every time I gaze in a mirror. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

o1s1n wrote:
    Seems they had the last laugh in the end

At least rejecting the religious bs has allowed you a transfusion should you ever need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

In New Zealand, they don't take blood donations from anyone who lived in Ireland, UK or France for more than 6 months between 1980 and 1996.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Wibbs wrote: »
    Though a confirmed agnostic, I have mused O, that if a deity exists the bugger has one helluva sense of humour as a defining characteristic. Something confirmed every time I gaze in a mirror. :D

I'll see your moderate agnosticism and raise you a more inflammatory athiesm - growing up in a cult makes you a little more committal with these things :D
    At least rejecting the religious bs has allowed you a transfusion should you ever need it.

Indeed. Actually I had a bit of a scare a few years back during a hospital stay. Was extremely anaemic and woke to a doctor telling me that i was lucky as I was verging on needing a blood transfusion the night before which they obviously couldn't administer 'given my religion'.

Quite the shock to have a doctor say that to you as a non religious adult, I'll tell you!

Have double checked my charts during visits ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭In the old days

I’ve never donated but it’s on my list of things to do this year.

I’m ashamed that I’ve never done it but I’m really bad at getting blood taken. I get weak and feel like I’m about to pass out.

It’s one thing I’m desperate to do because I know how vital it is but I know I just need to put on my big girl pants and do it. I don’t need a guilt trip because I already feel bad about it. I just have this psychological block that I’m trying hard to overcome.

Fair Play for considering it. I've gone with a few colleagues from work on and off. Some of those felt faint, low iron levels etc. and not taken. Not for everyone but it's not something you should NOT be ashamed about if you think might not work out. We all have our demons (scared of water!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

As someone who also can no longer donate I can understand how it is disappointing to ineligible to donate, however the problem of limited blood supplies isn't caused by those who can't donate, it's caused by those who won't donate.

It makes sense to try and ensure that donated blood has minimal risks of causing health issues in the recipients who are already likely to be in a life-threatening situation.
    This includes the risk of CJD (if you have lived in the UK during the relevant years then you have already a higher chance of developing CJD, do you really think it's a good idea to pass that risk onto someone who is already ill?

I really dont think allot of people just dont want to donate, there a literally hardly any donation facilities outside Dublin, they set up towns, miles from anywhere where its difficult to get to and then their gone in a day. They dont make it easy to donate blood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Can't donate, I enjoy blowjobs to much to go a year without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Eczema .. you can’t give blood if you have large areas of eczema and are using a steroid cream... that buggered me.. just have it in my hands/wrists now but badly so never eligible because of it. Tried twice and a no go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

Haven't read the whole thread.
    Want to try to give blood but put off by having to make an appointment.

Can you walk in anywhere in Dublin?

Teepinaw wrote: »
    Can you walk in anywhere in Dublin?

You can in Stillorgan at least, but you might be waiting for a while. Also if you go at peak times they may be refused. Also best to ring just before you leave, just in cause !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Can't donate as I have Crohns disease but I am an organ donor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

"As someone who also can no longer donate I can understand how it is disappointing to ineligible to donate, however the problem of limited blood supplies isn't caused by those who can't donate, it's caused by those who won't donate.

It makes sense to try and ensure that donated blood has minimal risks of causing health issues in the recipients who are already likely to be in a life-threatening situation.
    This includes the risk of CJD (if you have lived in the UK during the relevant years then you have already a higher chance of developing CJD, do you really think it's a good idea to pass that risk onto someone who is already ill?"

I get it. I was just responding to the initial question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

TomasMacR wrote: »
    Genuinely thought they had done away with this...nonsense.

It's down to a year from a blanket ban. They only reduced it because some fella took them to court after he tried to donate, they somehow found out he was gay, and when he swore he had never had any sexual contact, assumed he was lying and refused.

I may be relatively active in that regard but I always use protection and get checked every 3-6 months. It's ridiculous I can't donate but there you go.

Have no intention of donating blood until that unscientific and implausible policy of refusing donations from the gay community and former British residents is reversed.

Look it up (i.e. look up all the peer-reviewed info on this; not just the first article you happen across). It's frankly difficult to believe that these policies are grounded in science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Have donated 11 or 12 times so far, haven't been in a while though. Last time I queried it, turns out I couldn't donate as I'd taken paracetamol in the previous 3 weeks. Must query that with them again and see if its the same story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Lived in England in the 80s,crazy that I can't give blood

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭zambrotta11

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Lived in England in the 80s,crazy that I can't give blood

I’m from the north and lived not far from Monaghan but they won’t take it from me because I lived in the north before 1996.
    I suppose mad cow disease knew to stop before it got to Monaghan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

I lived in the UK for a period of time in the 80's and 90's and I'm not allowed for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Because I go to India every year (well 7 of the last 8) and they rule me out on the grounds that it is a Malaria zone. Even though its not.

I don't get vaccinated against Malaria because according to the Health Service the part of India I go to has no Malaria risk and I don't need vaccinated. But when I come home they say it IS a Malaria risk and I can't donate for a year. So sadly I have only donated once in nearly a decade, after I missed India in 2014.

I'm probably not going next year mind you so in late 2020 or early 2021 they can have another pint.

PS I'm assuming the same Malaria regulations apply in Ireland? I've only ever donated in Derry.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 StolenKrone

Can't give blood. If I could I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Have no intention of donating blood until that unscientific and implausible policy of refusing donations from the gay community and former British residents is reversed.

Look it up (i.e. look up all the peer-reviewed info on this; not just the first article you happen across). It's frankly difficult to believe that these policies are grounded in science.
    I'd understand boycotting somewhere by not giving it money, but not giving blood, which could help save a life, as a form of protest is strange. Their supply is limited because of the policy to refuse donations from gay men and former UK residents (which I disagree with too), so why limit it further?

Not saying anyone should be forced to give blood but I just find this reasoning not to, illogical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm not allowed because of the English.
    NZ bans Irish people giving blood based on the BSE crisis they caused despite it not being an issue in Ireland.

I'd understand boycotting somewhere by not giving it money, but not giving blood, which could help save a life, as a form of protest is strange. Their supply is limited because of the policy to refuse donations from gay men and former UK residents (which I disagree with too), so why limit it further?

Not saying anyone should be forced to give blood but I just find this reasoning not to, illogical.
    They're not really short of cash, they're fairly well funded by public revenues, so that would be an ineffective protest.

Some of their policies are nigh-on impossible to be defended -- not just because they are morally dubious, but because they are bordering on being anti-scientific. Therefore, public health is already being compromised, and on a point of principle, I don't want to have anything to do with them as a donor.

They're not really short of cash, they're fairly well funded by public revenues, so that would be an ineffective protest.

Some of their policies are nigh-on impossible to be defended -- not just because they are morally dubious, but because they are bordering on being anti-scientific. Therefore, public health is already being compromised, and on a point of principle, I don't want to have anything to do with them as a donor.
    Car crash... blood transfusions needed - nope, because of their policy stopping others giving blood... that'll learn 'em?

It's the patient who'd be benefitting ultimately, more than the IBTS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Can't give blood due to BSE issues, travelling to malaira risk areas and uh, recreational stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭patmahe

If there was an online booking system something like the NCT where I could choose a time and date and be in and out in 30 minutes I think I'd be much more inclined.

Currently the odds of a clinic being on in my locality at a time that suits me where I can afford to wait 90 minutes to be seen are pretty slim. I have given blood in the past and would love to do so again but I think they are losing donations by the length of time it takes and the infrequency of clinics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Qrt

circadian wrote: »
    recreational stuff.

Bitta spliff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I think it's worth repeating:
    There is no screening test available for CJD. (But they're working on it)

In light of the past Hep C blood transfusion scandal in Ireland it's prudent that all necessary precautions are taken to safeguard the quality of blood supplies.

Car crash... blood transfusions needed - nope, because of their policy stopping others giving blood... that'll learn 'em?

It's the patient who'd be benefitting ultimately, more than the IBTS.
    How far are you willing to stretch this?

We don't have reliable figures for Ireland, but in the United States, people with new HIV diagnoses are far more likely to be black or latino than white (the ratio is higher than 70:30)

Imagine how outrageous it would be to take those statistics, and to apply a ban on all black and latin men donating blood. Doing so would be not just morally wrong, it would be hopelessly anti-scientific -- not least because it is possible to screen for such diseases to the extent that you'd be far more likely to die of sepsis or an embolism when getting the transfusion, than you would be to receive HIV from a gay donor.

What we're seeing here is not a ban (or now, a deferral) which is grounded in science, but one which is a hangover of the AIDS scare.

It is equally as unscientific as any potential ban on non-white donors would be; it belongs in the realm of superstition, which is why so many scientific institutions and individual doctors have been calling-it out for years.

I wouldn't donate blood to an organisation which refused the blood of one of my black or latin friends, on the basis of who they are, with no scientific basis. I so no reason to so when the blood of gay people is rejected, equally unscientifically.

We all have to make individual choices, and I stand by my very minor protest, and I'm sure you have no problem reconciling yours with a more utilitarian outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

How far are you willing to stretch this?

We don't have reliable figures for Ireland, but in the United States, people with new HIV diagnoses are far more likely to be black or latino than white (the ratio is higher than 70:30)

Imagine how outrageous it would be to take those statistics, and to apply a ban on all black and latin men donating blood. Doing so would be not just morally wrong, it would be hopelessly anti-scientific -- not least because it is possible to screen for such diseases to the extent that you'd be far more likely to die of sepsis or an embolism when getting the transfusion, than you would be to receive HIV from a gay donor.

What we're seeing here is not a ban (or now, a deferral) which is grounded in science, but one which is a hangover of the AIDS scare.

It is equally as unscientific as any potential ban on non-white donors would be; it belongs in the realm of superstition, which is why so many scientific institutions and individual doctors have been calling-it out for years.

I wouldn't donate blood to an organisation which refused the blood of one of my black or latin friends, on the basis of who they are, with no scientific basis. I so no reason to so when the blood of gay people is rejected, equally unscientifically.

We all have to make individual choices, and I stand by my very minor protest, and I'm sure you have no problem reconciling yours with a more utilitarian outlook.

It’s okay if you don’t want to donate blood/are afraid of needles, whatever. You don’t have to make up silly excuses to justify your actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Is it still the case that anyone who lived in the UK during the 80's can't donate due to the BSE carry on? Would love to give blood as long as it's still the case that a pint/glass of plain is redeemable at the end of the ordeal :-D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I went to donate blood earlier in the week...first time. I dont have a fear of needles, and did a know-your-blood type test a few years ago that said i had some rare type ( Ab- i think?), So was always something i wanted to do. Rocked in, filled out the forms, got put in the chair, and the nurdlse hooked me up. After about 10 secinds i got a stinging pain about 3-4cm lower down my arm than where the needle wqs and started feeling woozy. They immediately stopped, sat me down in the corner, gave me food and water and wouldnt let me leave for 45mins. I was still dazed leaving, forgot to ask what the story is now? They reckon it was a nerve, bitut Can i donate again? Has (the little amount) of blood i donated gone to waste? Am i a pussy???

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It’s okay if you don’t want to donate blood/are afraid of needles, whatever. You don’t have to make up silly excuses to justify your actions.
    I gave blood regularly until last year, after discussing it with a colleague who is gay.

Try taking sex out of it, and imagining it was a black person being refused, on the same scientific evidence -- or lack of -- and tell me you wouldn't have a hard time justifying, to your black friends, your participation.

If it wouldn't bother you, that's fine. I hope you regularly donate, but it isn't for me.

• Advertisement

You can both be bothered by the policy and yet donate blood.

It makes absolutely zero sense to effectively punish patients in protest.

There would be nothing to "justify". You'd just be donating blood - doing a beneficial thing for someone potentially at death's door. Donating blood is not a betrayal, because a sick person needs it. If it was a restaurant that discriminated against gay people, then yeah, makes sense to boycott it.

But applying that kind of logic to - not paying money but donating blood, is bizarre.

You can both be bothered by the policy and yet donate blood.

It makes absolutely zero sense to effectively punish patients in protest.

There would be nothing to "justify". You'd just be donating blood - doing a beneficial thing for someone potentially at death's door. Donating blood is not a betrayal, because a sick person needs it. If it was a restaurant that discriminated against gay people, then yeah, makes sense to boycott it.

But applying that kind of logic to - not paying money but donating blood, is bizarre.
    Why draw a distinction between blood and money? They're both necessary resources, without which the service will struggle.

If more people stopped donating blood (or money, although I'm not sure it accepts financial donations) in protest, the IBTS would be forced to review its policies. I think most most people who donate are unlikely to change their views, and the small number of us who object in principle are unlikely to have made any impact. But our consciences are clear, at least, as I'm sure yours is.

I'm not suggesting that anyone else donates or does not, I'm just saying we all should reflect, and make up our own minds.

Views will differ, but one thing that is unambiguous is the unscientific nature of certain policies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I looked in to it, but I lived in the UK during the 1990s, and so they think I might have mad cow disease.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

retalivity wrote:
    I was still dazed leaving, forgot to ask what the story is now? They reckon it was a nerve, bitut Can i donate again? Has (the little amount) of blood i donated gone to waste? Am i a pussy???
    I'm not sure if they'd let you donate again. You won't know unless you try. Maybe you were dehydrated or something. The amount you donated would have been discarded.

If you are AB- is it quite rare and there isn't really a huge demand for that type as it can only be given to fellow AB- or AB+ people which would be a small percentage of the Irish population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

over 60 donations given - there's something in my blood that makes it particularly good for premature babies so always make a point of finding a clinic somewhere relatively closeby. To those giving out about the length of time it takes, seriously - you are literally saving lives, and each donation can save up to 3 lives. check the website for when clinics are in your area and you schedule yourself for a donation. I really don't understand people who say the couldn't be arsed to donate or can't find the time. If it was you or a loved one who needed the life saving blood - I bet you would be grateful.

Canada, New Zealand, Australia also bans UK residents during the BSE time frame from donating - its not just Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement