Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Probation extended but failed first.

Options
  • 05-03-2019 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Good evening everyone,
    I need an advice, it's for my wife.
    Shes is pregnant at the moment 5 Months,
    She got reviewed today '3 month probation' and she failed with extended probation for another 3 months.
    She failed only because of attendance, 4 days over 3 months, these absences were with a reason, and note.
    She got sick 2 days she couldn't attend to work she was able to get the doctor note if requested, but it wasn't requested as its not more than 3 days off work.
    Another 2 days she was hospitalised, thanks god nothing about the baby. But again why they give this kind of a reason
    'not attending the work' how should I attend when I am in hospital??

Thank you for advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s very difficult.
    If the company has a zero absence policy then absence even certified is absence, but with an explanation.

I managed in such a company and it’s a desperate hard line to take and hold.

So can they extend her probation based on certified absence?, I don’t see why not. It’s not nice, but it’s allowed.

Having said that, they are fools to be messing about if they are maternity related certified issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

There is a myth that you can't be fired for being sick. Unfortunately some companies are very unreasonable about this, and like Brian says, take a hard line on sick days. Certainly in your wife's case they are being very unreasonable.

It would make me wonder if there's another reason for extending her probation (e.g. they're not happy with her, or more likely they're not happy to keep on someone who's going to take maternity leave soon).

I don't think you have a lot of options right now.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    There is a myth that you can't be fired for being sick. Unfortunately some companies are very unreasonable about this, and like Brian says, take a hard line on sick days. Certainly in your wife's case they are being very unreasonable.

It would make me wonder if there's another reason for extending her probation (e.g. they're not happy with her, or more likely they're not happy to keep on someone who's going to take maternity leave soon).

I don't think you have a lot of options right now.

Honestly if they wanted rid they would be better nit pick over work issues than start down the road of calling out maternity related certified sick days, while legal I think recent decisions by courts are taking a moral aspect to employee Vs employer cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

_Brian wrote: »
    Honestly if they wanted rid they would be better nit pick over work issues than start down the road of calling out maternity related certified sick days, while legal I think recent decisions by courts are taking a moral aspect to employee Vs employer cases.

Yes, you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

_Brian wrote: »

If they wanted rid at any time during the probation period, then are they even obliged to give a reason? Or can it just be covered with a general 'sorry, it's just not working out, all the best for the future?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

skallywag wrote: »
    If they wanted rid at any time during the probation period, then are they even obliged to give a reason?

They would be insane not to give a reason, because the implication could be taken that it is because of pregnancy. Even in the first year, that is discrimination.

skallywag wrote: »
    If they wanted rid at any time during the probation period, then are they even obliged to give a reason? Or can it just be covered with a general 'sorry, it's just not working out, all the best for the future?'

Up to recently I would have said yes, during probation and indeed for the first year employees can easily be set aside on the "its not working out" basis..

However, there have been unfair dismissal cases taken and won recently that would lead me to feel that this isnt the case in Ireland any more.. I certainly wouldnt do it anymore.. Courts still want to see that employees were given feedback and an opportunity to improve, natural justice as they call it.

There is much reading on the topic..
    http://www.brightcontracts.ie/blog/2017/09/the-dangers-of-dismissing-an-employee-during-probation/

Advertisement