Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting 5v dc at a light fitting in porch/canopy

Options
  • 06-03-2019 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

I've a lighting circuit running out into the ceiling of this porch type canopy thing at the front of my house (i.e. its an over hang of about 700mm with a couple of rows of roof tiles above, no walls around it)
    It has a switched live (running to the light fitting) and permanent live, which is unused.

What is the most normal/correct way of getting 5v DC there? Its to power a camera.
    Can I do it at all with that feed?

Is there any fit for purpose transformer I can get to do it - akin to the bullet transformers for the old spot lights. Cant see anything in the usual places.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You simply use a USB socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,552 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just use a usb cable plugged into a socket. You can extend it easy enough. Just cut it and use some bell wire or similar to extend it. You only need to worry about the black and red cable

Advertisement