Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Word 2016 - inserting images and captions...?

Options
  • 06-03-2019 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I have been inserting images (Jpegs) into an essay - a bit messy as I have to resize and sort the text above/below/around the image - not easy. No doubt there is an easier way?

I have then been separately adding captions to these images. Again a bit messy, but it works.

Apart from probably not doing the above efficiently, one annoying thing is this:

If, after I have inserted an image and caption, I add a few lines to the essay on an earlier page, everything is pushed down, as expected.

My problem is that the image and the caption are pushed down separately. Sometimes this results in the caption box simply sitting on top of other text and obscuring it. I have to tweak it back into position.

Apart from adding captions to images before inserting them into the essay; can I do things more efficiently?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

Try:

Insert your image where you want it.

With the image selected, right click on it & choose 'Insert Caption' and select your options from there.

That should keep image & caption together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

You could also use a table for the images and captions. Choose no border so the table isn't visible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

When I try that and then click on the caption afterwards, a separate sizing box appears around it, independent of the photograph above it.

They don't become one, if you get my drift.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Dinarius wrote: »
    When I try that and then click on the caption afterwards, a separate sizing box appears around it, independent of the photograph above it.

They don't become one, if you get my drift.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks.

D.

You almost there.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-format-or-delete-captions-in-word-82fa82a4-f0f3-438f-a422-34bb5cef9c81

See "Add a caption to a floating object" instruction, i think that's what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

You almost there.
    https://support.office.com/en-us/article/add-format-or-delete-captions-in-word-82fa82a4-f0f3-438f-a422-34bb5cef9c81

See "Add a caption to a floating object" instruction, i think that's what you want.

Magic!

Thanks! ;)

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

Dinarius wrote: »
    ...No doubt there is an easier way?....

Yes, LaTex :D

Sure, in the end, you may position your figures in your Doc document approximately where you want them. But then you may try to add references. Or a table of contents. Or use a font that looks really pretty when your essay is printed. Or add a complex formula which uses fonts that scale.

Advertisement