Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tetris 99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Mr E wrote: »
    In related news...

Japan will instead get Konami's 1985 proto-fighter Yie-Ar Kung Fu and the original Fire Emblem.

A special Tetris 99 tournament will also be held from March 8 - 10, in which the 999 players in the world with the most wins ("Tetris Maximus") will each receive 999 My Nintendo Gold coins.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/49907/march-nintendo-switch-online-update-features-new-nes-games-tetris-99-tourney

I think the European rules might be different. If you get one win in tetris 99 you have a chance of winning gold coins. More wins doesn't increase your chances. Great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Do you need the online for Tetris 99? I thought I saw it was free for f2p games like Fortnite but I can't get connected :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It's exclusively for Online Subscribers. Sorry!
    You can download it, you can fire it up but unless you subscribe you can't play.

I've already put about 6 hours into this game. My best finish is 14th :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I've been watching youtube videos on expert Tetris players, so 14th out of 99 is pretty respectable. There was one fella playing a version where the blocks were invisible when they landed and he was still clearing house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I've had a 15th and 16th so far. I've found playing after 6 is much easier than during the day. I had a couple of hours over a few lunch times and got no where near top 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,115 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I got 4th once and 9th once. Haven't been inside the top 15 other than that.

I've had a 15th and 16th so far. I've found playing after 6 is much easier than during the day. I had a couple of hours over a few lunch times and got no where near top 50.

Definitely agree. Played yesterday around 1 o clock and in about 10 games only got in the top 50 once I'd say. Normally I'd make top 50 more than half the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

I got to 3rd the other day and then 5th another day. (think I just got lucky though cause not consistently even near that number)Its very addictive. although the days I go in and just get battered in the first 30 secs is frustrating.

What attack mode do ye use? I've been using attackers but don't seem to get many badges, which going by the reviews is key if you're to have any hope in getting to the end.
    It gets so fast at the end its very hard to even think so with being attacked by everyone else and then shooting myself in the foot by places blocks wrong cause they're going to fast I think it'll be a while before I get a win.

I generally use Random at the beginning so i can fly under the radar a bit. I sometimes let my blocks pile up a bit so i get targeted by a lot of people who have selected KO'S. Then i switch to Attackers, quickly clear a few lines in quick succession. Usually get a badge or 2 that way.

But those are tips from someone who's best finish is 13th and consistently finish about 50th. I'm no pro. But that does help with getting badges for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Should I be worried that I don't understand a word of that last post (in the context of this game, I mean I know what a badge is, I used to have one that I got on the cover of Oink! magazine)? I've just been playing the game to build lines :)

Shame there's no offline singleplayer so you can just enjoy Tetris once it's authenticated you as a subscriber.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I've found the level of competition seems to have increased sharply in the last week. Whereas before I would nearly always be in top 50 and had 5 or 6 top 10 finishes, there are now times where I am getting bombarded from the off and barely surviving until the 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Managed a 2nd place over the weekend. Over the course of an hours play I would expect to get top 10 several times but usually somewhere between 5th and 10th, only been higher than that a few times. Consistently finishing in the top 30 without much trouble although if I find I'm being bombarded early on I'll sometimes just bail out and start again.

For me, I stay on random for the first while - as another poster said, trying to keep under the radar. Then as soon as there's 50 players left switch to targeting badges. Also less focus on getting Tetris (4 lines) at that point, focusing on keeping overall level low and picking off 2's and 3's to repel any lines that have been sent my way.

Been consistently finishing inside the top 20 now for a bit, with occasionally early exits mixed in. Improved my best score to a 13th but still not broke into the top 10. I'm loving the challenge but the game gets so frantic towards the end and I'm no good at T-spins so I feel that goes against me. I'm probably destined to never win a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Can't seem to put this game down. Had a few first places, but sadly, not during the tournament window. Consistently getting in Top 15 but some embarrassing results every now and again :)

I GOT A 6TH PLACE FINISH!!!!.
    If that game went on any longer my hands would have started bleeding.

New Grand Prix coming the 15th of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

New Grand Prix coming the 15th of April.

Nice set-up too - you don't have to win a game to be in with a chance of winning points.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/1115530114719191040

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

So I think I'm addicted to this game ha ha.

Got my first win today. Only took me 758 tries:D

I learned to play with the sound off stops a lot of the panic towards the end.

I'm level 57 now so every single game I get targeted by at least 5 attackers. I can get rid of them but I can't make many mistakes or I'm gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Tetris 99 Big Block DLC out now for a tenner. It's a batch of new modes (with more to be added). I think I'll wait to see what other modes are added first..... If you're a Tetris 99 addict, this might be right up your street, though.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/tetris-99-switch/

Big Block DLC
    Released May 09, 2019

DLC details
    $9.99
    Get additional modes for Tetris® 99 as they are released with the one-time purchase of this DLC.* Game modes included are:

CPU Battle – Play Tetris 99 offline against 98 CPU players
    Marathon – Challenge yourself in this offline mode to clear the most lines and score big

More information on upcoming game modes to follow at a later date.

* Download the Tetris® 99 software for free on Nintendo eShop to play the paid Big Block DLC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Mr E wrote: »
    Marathon – Challenge yourself in this offline mode to clear the most lines and score big
    Is this mode just normal tetris? That's kind of tempting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I bought the DLC last night. Bloody addictive game sucked away 3 hours of my life last night. The two new modes are decent enough. The CPU battle is exactly like the online mode except against CPUs. Can happily get 1st place in difficulty 1 and 2. Have yet to try 3-5.
    The other mode is standard tetris where you have to get 150 lines. Have yet to beat that one.

Bastards removes my golden wings icon I got when I hit level 60. I'm back to the level 1 green square. I bet I'd get my icon back if I paid for the dlc.

Still addicted to this. 80 hours plus spent playing. I'm pretty good too. I'm getting targeted by a rediculous amount of people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Played for a half hour last night just to get the game boy theme, still haven't got better than 3rd. Up to level 9 now, do you have a better chance at winning if you have a higher level?

And, how can you change your icon? Only have 1 option and I don't see anything about buying or downloading a different one.

jester77 wrote: »
    Played for a half hour last night just to get the game boy theme, still haven't got better than 3rd. Up to level 9 now, do you have a better chance at winning if you have a higher level?

And, how can you change your icon? Only have 1 option and I don't see anything about buying or downloading a different one.
    your icon changes based on your level. Well it did before anyway.
    3rd place is pretty impressive to be fair.
    The higher your level the more people attack you at once and you get all their dirt so it doesn't get any easier.Except you get better the more you play. Sometimes when I play I feel like neo figuring out the matrix and I zone out and play subconsciously :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I played to get the Gameboy skin... Probably won't play it again!
    I have it on my Gameboy pocket, which is it's natural home!

Was the Gameboy skin a bonus thing? I just logged in and it was there. Played a good bit yesterday to distract from what feels like an impending kidney stone. The tetris zen state is great pain relief.

fixxxer wrote: »
    Was the Gameboy skin a bonus thing? I just logged in and it was there. Played a good bit yesterday to distract from what feels like an impending kidney stone. The tetris zen state is great pain relief.
    You don't get to keep it until you get to 100 points on the counter you see while the event is on.

Edit: event over now.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

• Advertisement

fixxxer wrote: »
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!

I'd be more worried about the kidney stone haha.

Advertisement