Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Basil Pesto in Dublin?

Options
  • 06-03-2019 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

All
    weirdly I have seen I asked the same question 14 years ago on this forum:eek:

Where can one get good Basil Pesto in Dublin. Many years ago the best ever was in Fox's in Donnybrook, but the good Pesto disappeared long before Fox's closed a few years ago.

For the past few years I got the Lidl Pesto which was surprisingly good after modifying with extra aged Parmesan & extra salt.
    That disappeared late 2018 as they supplier had a little QC problem (as far as I can figure out) so all that suppliers sauce type products stopped, hopefully they will return.

the grand plan is to always make my own, but not always practical.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Super valu's pesto is surprisingly high quality for the price - it's only 1.99 for a 150g tub and I think it has the highest proportion of basil and olive oil of any of the supermarket own-brand types.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/chilled-food-antipasti-supervalu-green-pesto-150-grams-/p-1090068000

Edit: if you feel like experimenting, rocket makes a really nice pesto and is far far cheaper than basil, also wild garlic is in season and can be pesto'd so if know somewhere where its growing in your area, it might be worth a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

B0jangles wrote: »
    Super valu's pesto is surprisingly high quality for the price - it's only 1.99 for a 150g tub and I think it has the highest proportion of basil and olive oil of any of the supermarket own-brand types.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/chilled-food-antipasti-supervalu-green-pesto-150-grams-/p-1090068000

Edit: if you feel like experimenting, rocket makes a really nice pesto and is far far cheaper than basil, also wild garlic is in season and can be pesto'd so if know somewhere where its growing in your area, it might be worth a go :)

And if you want to experiment even further, using walnuts instead of pinenuts works out really well, plus they're a hell of a lot cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I always liked the pesto on sale from the buffet counter in Field & Vine in Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Tesco have several, including Barilla, which I use and is often cheaper than 'Tesco's Finest', and is preferable to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The Happy Pear stuff is lovely.

But yeah, just make your own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And if you want to experiment even further, using walnuts instead of pinenuts works out really well, plus they're a hell of a lot cheaper too.

Sounds great, I saw a recipe on this recently too - https://kinneaghkitchen.com/2019/03/08/rocket-and-walnut-pesto-recipe/

Advertisement