Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing Tenants without Informing Landlord/Agent

Options
  • 06-03-2019 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

I moved into a house with 3 of my friends in 2013.
    2 of my friends moved out in 2016 and we got 2 other friends to replace them. And the other moved out last year and he has too been replaced.
    The landlord/agent doesn’t know about this as we never really have any dealing with them.
    Today they asked for a list of the names of the people in the house. The contact info and pps numbers.
    When we send in that info do they have the right to terminate the lease or not offer a new one. It was out in January but they never sent a new one so I suppose it’s on a rolling contract at the moment.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

I moved into a house with 3 of my friends in 2013.
    2 of my friends moved out in 2016 and we got 2 other friends to replace them. And the other moved out last year and he has too been replaced.
    The landlord/agent doesn’t know about this as we never really have any dealing with them.
    Today they asked for a list of the names of the people in the house. The contact info and pps numbers.
    When we send in that info do they have the right to terminate the lease or not offer a new one. It was out in January but they never sent a new one so I suppose it’s on a rolling contract at the moment.
    Thank you.

Possibly just re-registering the place with the RTB so doubt you've anything to worry about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Browney7 wrote: »
    Possibly just re-registering the place with the RTB so doubt you've anything to worry about

Will send in all the real details tomorrow anyway and see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I moved into a house
    I'd say you still have a lease.

As the fixed term has expired, you now have a Part IV lease.

Unless the lease prohibits subletting, I'd say you should be okay.

She went mad in an email to me.

In one ear out the other.

Literally haven’t heard a thing from them in the 6 years apart from the annual increase in rent.
    Anything breaks we fix ourselves ect. That will be ending soon too.

We pay lowish rent for the area, house sleeps 7 there are 4 in it.
    Say they want rid so they can get the market value.

I’m going no where.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

the_syco wrote: »
    Unless the lease prohibits subletting, I'd say you should be okay.

as per https://www.rtb.ie/media-research/publications/licensees-in-private-rented-accommodation
    Licensing arrangements in private rented dwellings are often confused with sub-lettings and assignments. The difference is that when a tenant assigns or sublets their rental accommodation, they no longer live in it whereas a licensee shares the accommodation with the tenant.

• Advertisement

On the email she said the landlord and myself want to do an inspection on March the 22nd. Let me know a time that suits.

Wrote back the following day I won’t know a time that suits till next week which was Monday gone. Got an out of office saying she was out till 21st March.

Emailed her on the Monday saying 2pm. Rearranging stuff to make sure I’d be free.

Never turned up, never rang emailed to say they weren’t coming.
    That’s the second time in a month the letting agency arranged an inspection and just never showed.

Was never 1 inspection arranged in the previous 6 years I’ve been here.

She’s taking the pi$$

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The landlord wants to inspect the property can’t see anything wrong with that?

bigpink wrote: »
    The landlord wants to inspect the property can’t see anything wrong with that?

Maybe if you have another read of the above. I’ve clearly no problem either?
    Just when they arrange it and I’ve arranged time off that they turn up.

Why have you not been informing the LL about changes of tenant? This is totally out of order and no wonder they are annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FelaniaMump

Why have you not been informing the LL about changes of tenant? This is totally out of order and no wonder they are annoyed.

Maybe because the LL hasn't shown the slightest interest in the property other than collecting rent? they have no grounds to be annoyed at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Xaniaj

On the email she said the landlord and myself want to do an inspection on March the 22nd. Let me know a time that suits.

Wrote back the following day I won’t know a time that suits till next week which was Monday gone. Got an out of office saying she was out till 21st March.

Emailed her on the Monday saying 2pm. Rearranging stuff to make sure I’d be free.

Never turned up, never rang emailed to say they weren’t coming.
    That’s the second time in a month the letting agency arranged an inspection and just never showed.

Was never 1 inspection arranged in the previous 6 years I’ve been here.

She’s taking the pi$$

Did the confirm the inspection? Bad form if they did! It's hardly taking the pi$$ to inspect her property however

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭FelaniaMump

Xaniaj wrote: »
    Did the confirm the inspection? Bad form if they did! It's hardly taking the pi$$ to inspect her property however

Hasn't bothered for 6 years, makes 2 appointments and doesn't show or explain.

She is absolutely taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe because the LL hasn't shown the slightest interest in the property other than collecting rent? they have no grounds to be annoyed at all.

So if the tenant hasn't been informing the landlord of changes in tenants or repairs which maybe in breech of their agreement does the same lack of ground apply to the tenant also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

People complain if the landlord is contact regularly and also if they don't. No winning is there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

I went through a letting agency when I let a house and the tenants were vetted by the agent. I could have got more money but I went by the agents recommendations and took these people.

I would have been annoyed if they moved on and allowed someone unvetted into the property.

I would be serving notice too and I wouldnt be supplying references.

What interest do you want them to show? Collecting rent is all they will do unless you contact them requesting a repair or a change of tenant etc.

Ok for their own sake they should be carrying out regular inspections buts that’s their problem not yours.

All the wrong is on your side here I’m afraid and not informing a LL about changes of tenant or repairs is a serious breach of your obligations as a tenant.

Advertisement