Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are people obsessed with getting a pension

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Kilboor wrote: »
    Look stop twisting words. I don't want nor expect any government help. The bottom line is I'm bearish (and hopefully I'm wrong) on what sort of economy and society we will have in 35-40 years.

We can argue all day about that philosophy and I understand completely why you and others take your tax free pension savings, that's fine, but the question was people's obsessions on pensions and I've stated my case for not being focused on pensions and they are my bearish outlooks. Don't assume I am looking for government assistance or that I am missing the "basic stuff". Right now I am more concerned with improving my current life as well as those who are older in my family who had and still have nothing.

So you see the situation with older people in your family, you are not concerned about providing for your old age, but don't expect government help.... so what's the plan die young?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,832 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

McGaggs wrote: »
    Just be careful on this point. You have to have stopped working in the employment that funded the contributions to the pension you're cashing in.

You could quit the rat race, cash in the pension, and take on a new job, with less hours and less pay somewhere closer to home for example.

In a strict sense you are correct. However in general if are happy to work away in a job it is unlikely you will need the cash. It is likely as well that from now on pensions will be accumulated in 2-3 jobs. General health is better into your 60's and 70's. Therefore it is likely more and more people will semi retire. I did last year. I received a redundancy and at present I work part time along with other income to use up tax credits. My spouse is still working. I do not intend to access pension at present and my 3 best years earning are 2016-2018. I can still add to the pot to increase it tax efficiently.

Part of my pension is a DB scheme which I can access at 60 which I will do and draw down a substantial lump sum at that stage. People will make choices like this going semi retired and working part time to part fund pension

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Certainly not. The answer is to follow the best advice available and implement a version of the three pillar system being taken around the rest of the EU.

Ok Jim2007, I learned something new here. I wasn't aware of the three pillar system until I googled and read up on it. Yes, that makes sense.

However my original comment was to say that no one should be able to do nothing and expect the rest of the taxpayers bail them out in retirement.
    Everyone should have to make some provision for their own retirement ( assuming physically and intellectually able of course). The three pillar system seems to support this line of thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Certainly not. The answer is to follow the best advice available and implement a version of the three pillar system being taken around the rest of the EU.

Which we have already?

First pillar = State pensions

Second pillar = occupational pensions (are you suggesting making these compulsory?)

Third pillar = personal pensions, e.g. AVCs, PRSAs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

There a myriad of systems and there is no common pension system, unless people refer to common recognition of state pension contributions which is totally different and this recognition system as it is, is a total mess.

• Advertisement

There a myriad of systems and there is no common pension system, unless people refer to common recognition of state pension contributions which is totally different and this recognition system as it is, is a total mess.

The common approach under consideration is a the three pillar concept.
    1. Pillar one: State pension, expected in total to only cover a few months of living expenses
    2. Pillar two: Pension from employment expected to be the primary source of income in retirement
    3. Pillar three: Private savings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Out of curiosity, what does 'expected in total to only cover a few months of living expenses' mean? I've seen it mentioned a few times. It's a safety net/stop gap between retirement and when you can access your primary workplace pension?

Edit: I'm actually going to go read up on the swiss system as I'm not aware of the actual details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Here, the SPC is 33-34% of average earnings.

Average earnings 2018 = 38,871

SPC 2020 = 248.30 pw I think = 13k pa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,197 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what does 'expected in total to only cover a few months of living expenses' mean? I've seen it mentioned a few times. It's a safety net/stop gap between retirement and when you can access your primary workplace pension?

Edit: I'm actually going to go read up on the swiss system as I'm not aware of the actual details.

I would have expected private savings to fill that gap, so would be interested in what you find.

No it just means that the total paid out over the year, would cover a couple of months total living expenses.

So in Switzerland, depending on where you live the state pension might cover 3 to 5 months of your annual living costs and you'd need to cover the other 7 to 9 months from your second pillar (employment pension) or third pillar (savings).

The Swiss system is not the total solution, just as it is not in Germany or the other countries, but right now it is probably the one that is most further along.

Probably the most important less to learn, is that we left it too late... no politician wants to bring home the bad news. The generation that retired say 20 years ago or so were badly hit - there was not enough being paid in to increase the state pension and they did not have the savings to live off. So for many the only solution was to go live somewhere cheaper - South of Spain, Italy and so on.

When I came here 30 years ago and heard about people's parents and in-laws retiring to Spain or Italy, I though man, these people are rich! It was actually the opposite - they could not afford to live in their own country!

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    I would have expected private savings to fill that gap, so would be interested in what you find.

The pension planning is fairly simple:
    - Assume you'll need 65% of your average income over the last three years
    - About 40% is from pillar 2, your employment pension
    - About 15% - 20% is from the state pension
    - And the remainder is from the third pillar, personal savings

The financing goes along these lines:
    - Social security contributions from employee and employer
    - Pension contributions min 7% with one to one matching from the employer
    - Tax relief on up to 8k in a blocked account until retirement age.

In most cases the employment pension contributions are much higher than 7% and on a sliding scale as you get older. In most professional jobs the rate is more like 20+% once you are older that 50, with employee matching amounts. Which on one hand is good, but suddenly dropping 20% of your disposable income on the 50th birthday is harsh.

Jim2007, fair enough, that just sounds like a different perspective of looking at what the moneys purpose is. Covering a few months of expenses of someone with a relatively comfortable lifestyle would be the equivalent of providing 12 months of support for the absolute essentials to meet basic needs of others.

- About 40% is from pillar 2, your employment pension
    - About 15% - 20% is from the state pension
    - And the remainder is from the third pillar, personal savings

The financing goes along these lines:
    - Social security contributions from employee and employer
    - Pension contributions min 7% with one to one matching from the employer
    - Tax relief on up to 8k in a blocked account until retirement age.

In most cases the employment pension contributions are much higher than 7% and on a sliding scale as you get older. In most professional jobs the rate is more like 20+% once you are older that 50, with employee matching amounts. Which on one hand is good, but suddenly dropping 20% of your disposable income on the 50th birthday is harsh.

Why would it rely on personal savings over your private pension?
    /edit
    when I say "over" I mean instead of putting that money into your pension.

Unless you mean a small amount of quick access money that everyone has?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I guess some people see it as just saving to look after a decrepit auld fella that's good for nothing but for me it's literally about retiring early and having a few years where I'm relatively healthy and not dragged down by the grindstone. That's why I'm enthusiastic to max it out, if it was to save enough to pay for a nursing home I wouldn't have the motivation.

I'm conscious also mind you that if you are investing for that time in your pension pot you need to invest in your own health at the same time. I've a few bad habits to break as the ultimate goal is that come retirement I'm fighting fit with loads of cash

Billbot79’s point here is very well made. I’ve also been investing in myself in a few ways to try and ensure I don’t start falling apart until as late as possible in life. It is an aspect of pensions and retirement which people often overlook. You health is your wealth, simple as...

Also, as attractive as it might sound you can’t live in the sun drinking wine every day. I know a guy who has a place in Spain and says there are a fair few people who move down there and do that, and after a year they are in pretty bad shape.

Plenty guzzling wine etc on social welfare in pretty bad shape also :)

garbanzo wrote: »

Also, as attractive as it might sound you can’t live in the sun drinking wine every day.

You certainly can, it just cant be the only thing you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭bilbot79

You certainly can, it just cant be the only thing you do.

People move out to the sun thinking it's everything they've dreamed of but once it becomes normal they are bored and start drinking everyday. I wouldn't like that, drinking every day kind of drags on you. If you live in the sun you need a proper lifestyle too

I would have thought the same applies no matter your location in retirement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I would have thought the same applies no matter your location in retirement?

You're probably right. Would seem a shame to self Medicate out of boredom. Much better to go travelling or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭donkey balls

People move out to the sun thinking it's everything they've dreamed of but once it becomes normal they are bored and start drinking everyday. I wouldn't like that, drinking every day kind of drags on you. If you live in the sun you need a proper lifestyle too

Very true we have friends living in Lanzorote and they told us of people moving there but still carrying on as if they are away for a week or two, Eventually they either give up the partying every day and settle down or move back home.
    Know a lad that's retired he spends summer here and Spain during the winter period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You're probably right. Would seem a shame to self Medicate out of boredom. Much better to go travelling or something

I think we all need to have a plan in mind. What to do for the rest of your life now that you've finished working. You can live out your dreams! ****e, I didn't spend any time dreaming because I was too busy working...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nsi423

Great thread folks, I've been catching up from the beginning - apart from that middle bit where it went completely off the rails! I skipped over that! :pac:

Jim2007 you've been giving the benefit of your own experience here, thanks.

One thing I picked up on from my extensive reading (well, YouTube-ing) about this F.I.R.E. caper is the way those folks think about their living expenses, not their income. They estimate future expenses based on current expenses, not current income.

Not much of a distinction for those of us who are just getting by, but it is a different way of thinking. Keeping expenses in check now means a greater ability to save for the future, a future that will also be that bit easier to afford, assuming the same lifestyle.

Pensions really are the ultimate marshmallow test!

I think it's quite common for people's expenses to naturally creep upward as their income does over time so the 65% of income is a common and simplistic goal to set.

A lot of these concepts that can help people plan for retirement are extremely basic though (half your age pension contribution rule, 50/30/20 rule etc) and will never match the efforts of someone who is willing to properly identify their expenses in later life and save/invest accordingly. Kudos to anyone who puts the effort in to creating detailed spreadsheets at a young age.

nsi423 wrote: »
    ............folks think about their living expenses, not their income. They estimate future expenses based on current expenses, not current income.

Knowing what you spend your money on is easy to establish but most folk have little idea what they spend on food, utility bills, petrol/diesel etc over the course of the year.

For folk with a mortgage, knowing what their other expenses are is key to having a really good idea what they'd need in retirement ....... what folk need is often surprisingly low.

I think it's quite common for people's expenses to naturally creep upward as their income does over time so the 65% of income is a common and simplistic goal to set.
    100% true, I also expect the makeup of my expenses to significantly change when I retire as I will be doing very different things with my time.
    Augeo wrote: »
    Knowing what you spend your money on is easy to establish but most folk have little idea what they spend on food, utility bills, petrol/diesel etc over the course of the year.

For folk with a mortgage, knowing what their other expenses are is key to having a really good idea what they'd need in retirement ....... what folk need is often surprisingly low.
    Assuming you dont pay for most things with cash, most banks can give you this detail on your account.

Assuming you dont pay for most things with cash, most banks can give you this detail on your account.

True, however...........
    I have 2 current accounts and 2 private credit cards. I use the credit cards for most of my spends and clear them 100% each month.

So my AIB account does recognise and categorise my AIB credit card spends per retailer category but it's far from great to be honest......

14 MAY 20 CIRCLE K GRANGE CASTLE
    Auto
    Petrol/Fuel
    CREDIT CARD - 5112 €3.85

14 MAY 20 GALA STRAFFAN
    Shopping
    Groceries
    CREDIT CARD - 5112 €2.00

I didn't buy €2 of diesel in Straffan but if I did buy €80 it would be under Shopping Groceries.

BOI credit card spends appear as ........ 07 MAY 20 D/D BOI CR CARD
    Finance & Banking

Not wonderful IMO.

If folk rely on their banks to provide detail on their spends then as I said.........
    Knowing what you spend your money on is easy to establish but most folk have little idea what they spend on food, utility bills, petrol/diesel etc over the course of the year......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I've been using YNAB4 since March 2015 and know where every single cent was spent and on what... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cefh17

I've been using YNAB4 since March 2015 and know where every single cent was spent and on what... :)

July 2017 here, it's eye opening. I'm saving more per month than back then and still feel like I've more disposable money once you see how much you spend on ****e you don't need/want

I use excel, with Onedrive on the mobile it's fairly effortless.

• Advertisement

True, however...........
    I have 2 current accounts and 2 private credit cards. I use the credit cards for most of my spends and clear them 100% each month.

So my AIB account does recognise and categorise my AIB credit card spends per retailer category but it's far from great to be honest......

Not wonderful IMO.

If folk rely on their banks to provide detail on their spends then as I said.........

Not wonderful, but I'd argue its more than enough for someone without a clue to get on top of things.
    At the very least you would wonder why your shopping bill was too high and/or your petrol bill too low.

Zero barrier to entry also.

Advertisement