Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Any company that engages in that sort of behaviour should be run out of Ireland they are no better than gangsters.

They didn’t do it. It’s really that simple. This is made up nonsense.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I don't think the govnerment should have the right to steal anyones land.

Intel don't even pay that much tax plus most of those "jobs" would only be going to Non-Nationals.

Why do you think the majority of the jobs would be going to “non nationals”. At a guess, 90% of the people who work on the Leixlip site are Irish. 90% is on the conservative side.

they/them/theirs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

thenplacing of Intel headed paper stating the name and adress of the family who objected to the then new favs being built into thousands of desks happened and was done in my time when I worked there. It was absolutely disgusting particularly ad not only did they give his name and address but went to the detail of describing exactly where his family home was - so any yob (pre googlemps) could be in no doubt). As for the tone of some of the comments in this thread - yes the letter to all fab employees - this was done in exactly the same way - it will affect plant jobs and performance and ability to deliver and compete for more contracts glibally. Utterly disgusting and targeting an individual exercising his right. This was in the time before online objections - but not to worry Intel told everyone in the fab his name and where he lived just in case. I heard they also tried to buy his home off him but her refused - in the family generations - beginning to sound like Reid and their hectoring and bullying against him? Some things money can’t easily but - good values, gamily pride and history and community pride. And once the air and environment are deatroyed its gone forever. No amount of fluttering of fifties will fix that - you only have to look at what has happened across America to see that some industrial environmental ‘incidents’ cannot be ever fixed. Fair dues to you Mr Reid. Thank you.

liar liar pants on fire

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Brian? wrote: »
    Why do you think the majority of the jobs would be going to “non nationals”. At a guess, 90% of the people who work on the Leixlip site are Irish. 90% is on the conservative side.

The majority of staff who work for the multinationals are Non-Nationals.

Google etc employ very few Irish people.

They didn’t do it. It’s really that simple. This is made up nonsense.

It wouldn't be the first time a big multinational has f**ked over the little man in Ireland.

https://leoniefennell.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/merck-still-corrupt-and-still-in-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bada Bing Boy

You didnt happen to ring in a bomb scare a few years ago did you?

Obviously bitter that they let you go.

Intel wouldn't need to send out his address, everyone on
    site and from the area knows where his kip of a house is.

Why should we automatically believe people who say it didn’t happen over someone who says it did? Just because you’ve a few loud voices trying to shout someone down doesn’t mean anyone is producing any proof one way or the other. They’re a shady company so I certainly wouldn’t rule it out.

I don’t agree with being able to take someone’s property regardless.

You didnt happen to ring in a bomb scare a few years ago did you?

Obviously bitter that they let you go.

Intel wouldn't need to send out his address, everyone on
    site and from the area knows where his kip of a house is.

lol I have never had any dealings with Intel.

I'm opposed to the state to trying to steal land they have no right to.

Today its this poor farmer they trying to rob tomorrow it could be your family home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Empty fields employ even fewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bada Bing Boy

The planned expansion is on Intel owned land, none of it is being stolen from Thomas Reid.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Google, Facebook, Airbnb etc employs loads of Irish people. They're just so massive that they have positions to fill that cAnt be filled by Irish people sue to experience, language requirements etc.

The planned expansion is on Intel owned land, none of it is being stolen from Thomas Reid.

Quit spoiling the David vs goliath narrative.

There's like,... an ethical lesson in here, or something.

Booo corporations, big pharma and stuff.

greencap wrote: »
    Quit spoiling the David vs goliath narrative.

There's like,... an ethical lesson in here, or something.

Booo corporations, big pharma and stuff.

Big Pharma? You should probably look up Intel and have a read.

Weepsie wrote: »
    Google, Facebook, Airbnb etc employs loads of Irish people. They're just so massive that they have positions to fill that cAnt be filled by Irish people sue to experience, language requirements etc.

Its more discrimination just look at Aldi or Lidl.

Anybody can stock shelves but at least 80% of the staff in Aldi and Lidl are Non-Nationals.

That is direct discrimination against the Irish.

Anybody can stock shelves but at least 80% of the staff in Aldi and Lidl are Non-Nationals.

you know that just typing stuff into your computer doesn't make it true right ?

your just ranting nonsense and have been from the start

purple monkey dishwasher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

thenplacing of Intel headed paper stating the name and adress of the family who objected to the then new favs being built into thousands of desks happened and was done in my time when I worked there. It was absolutely disgusting particularly ad not only did they give his name and address but went to the detail of describing exactly where his family home was - so any yob (pre googlemps) could be in no doubt). As for the tone of some of the comments in this thread - yes the letter to all fab employees - this was done in exactly the same way - it will affect plant jobs and performance and ability to deliver and compete for more contracts glibally. Utterly disgusting and targeting an individual exercising his right. This was in the time before online objections - but not to worry Intel told everyone in the fab his name and where he lived just in case. I heard they also tried to buy his home off him but her refused - in the family generations - beginning to sound like Reid and their hectoring and bullying against him? Some things money can’t easily but - good values, gamily pride and history and community pride. And once the air and environment are deatroyed its gone forever. No amount of fluttering of fifties will fix that - you only have to look at what has happened across America to see that some industrial environmental ‘incidents’ cannot be ever fixed. Fair dues to you Mr Reid. Thank you.

Must have been a nightmare for the cleaners, all the waste paper baskets in the fab must have been full of crumpled up sheets of Intel headed paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mod

Can you stop the companies are out to be anti-Irish. Companies have enough to be doing without adding xenophobia to their business models.

They hire based on who applies for the jobs.

And you might want to look up satire.

Seriously stevie wonder couldn't miss that it was a joke.

Or in your case, stevie wonder could indeed have missed that it was a joke unless it was read to him, as stevie wonder is blind and blind people can't see.

greencap wrote: »
    And you might want to look up satire.

Seriously stevie wonder couldn't miss that it was a joke.

Or in your case, stevie wonder could indeed have missed that it was a joke unless it was read to him, as stevie wonder is blind and blind people can't see.

Semiconductor industry. Semi-con-duct-or industry.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Not Intel , Intel is overwhelmingly Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

It quite simply never happened. If it did, staff would've gone to the media. Ordinary folk work in Intel who would be outraged if this had of happened.

And everyone who works in Intel, as does pretty much everyone living in Leixlip and Maynooth knows where he lives. So why would they point it out? :confused:

Sources to back up your claim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Having watched the documentary on him few months back this song he requested always reminds me of him
    May he keep on rocking

https://youtu.be/4xmckWVPRaI

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Mod

Can you stop the companies are out to be anti-Irish. Companies have enough to be doing without adding xenophobia to their business models.

They hire based on who applies for the jobs.

But most of the staff in Dunne Stores and Supervalu are Irish.

How is it that its the reverse in Aldi and Lidl ?

Something doesn't add up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

But most of the staff in Dunne Stores and Supervalu are Irish.

How is it that its the reverse in Aldi and Lidl ?

Something doesn't add up.

Unless the recruitment managers are on Boards, I suggest you direct your questions to them.

Insinuating they have nefarious strategies is not on.

Drop it, it is adding nothing and dragging thread off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    The needs of the many here. There's billions of euros in jobs and investment here. Thousands will directly benefit from this factory.

How many will benefit from a field with a few cows on it?
    The government CPO land regularly for infrastructure, sometimes cutting fields in half. When you're driving on a motorway you're on CPO land. Would it have been better to leave it and have to drive through every village and borren to get around?

Needs of the many my ass https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/a-decade-fighting-a-multinational-1.1028732%3fmode=amp

We have standards and the are not for sale

I agree with John Waters its about time we showed these multinationals the door and learned to stand on our own 2 feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Like North Korea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

That event was forty years ago.

Forty.

Sure why don't I post a story exposing the dangers of using children to clean chimneys as an argument against Intel.

There's a whole load of cranks in this thread full of made up nonsense.

Why should we automatically believe people who say it didn’t happen over someone who says it did? Just because you’ve a few loud voices trying to shout someone down doesn’t mean anyone is producing any proof one way or the other. They’re a shady company so I certainly wouldn’t rule it out.

I don’t agree with being able to take someone’s property regardless.

Why should you believe it happened with zero evidence?

It's impossible to produce any evidence it didn't happen. You can't prove a negative. You can make a judgement on the balance of probabilities though. You've one person saying it happened, with zero evidence. Multiple people saying it didn't.

You've decided Intel is a "shady company", so you're happy to believe anything that reinforces that.

FYI, Intel isn't a shady company in any way. As corporations go, they're pretty ethical.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Nonsense. There are a healthy number of immigrants working in most multinationals, but Intel is at least 90% Irish workers.

they/them/theirs

Not Intel , Intel is overwhelmingly Irish.

It used to be infested with arrogant Scots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Yeah,but big chips doesn't have the same ring to it ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Used to be.

There was a time when they hired a rake of people from Scotland because they had semiconductor experience from NEC and Motorola. Those days are long gone. Like NEC and Motorola in Scotland.

they/them/theirs

What percentage of staff were "arrogant Scots"?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What percentage of staff were "arrogant Scots"?

I couldn’t tell you, the same as I couldn’t tell you what percentage were South African or Indian either.
    Maybe they release these numbers but I never got to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Its a real pitty one man is holding up progress and development in this part of North Kildare. To describe his land as a farm is an insult to farmers. Its more like a wasteland. Id say if they EPA went in there they'd find serious breaches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It is a pity and you'd feel sorry for anyone looking forward to a good job from the development.
    However Thomas Read was wronged and the IDA picked on the wrong man.
    He has done nothing illegal in his campaign and stands to gain nothing.

You may be right about his eccentric farming methods but the EPA don't go into farms.
    If he is guilty of any serious breaches, like any farmer in the country he should be brought to book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Is there any other kind?

I couldn’t tell you, the same as I couldn’t tell you what percentage were South African or Indian either.
    Maybe they release these numbers but I never got to see them.

You said that it was "infested with arrogant Scots" so give us your guesstimate.

• Advertisement

Why should you believe it happened with zero evidence?

It's impossible to produce any evidence it didn't happen. You can't prove a negative. You can make a judgement on the balance of probabilities though. You've one person saying it happened, with zero evidence. Multiple people saying it didn't.

You've decided Intel is a "shady company", so you're happy to believe anything that reinforces that.

FYI, Intel isn't a shady company in any way. As corporations go, they're pretty ethical.

I don't see how they can be ethical when they leave backdoors in their chips
    so people can be spied on.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/28/mysterious-undocumented-technology-hidden-intel-computer-chips-researchers-say-9044193/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Bojill

Its a real pitty one man is holding up progress and development in this part of North Kildare. To describe his land as a farm is an insult to farmers. Its more like a wasteland. Id say if they EPA went in there they'd find serious breaches.

He's not, they've changed the plan and no longer need his land.
    Construction started months ago.

Bojill wrote: »
    He's not, they've changed the plan and no longer need his land.
    Construction started months ago.

He is. His land he can do what he wants with it but he is certainly trying to choke the progress in the area out of nothing but bitterness. The "farm" is an absolute desolate waste land at this stage. Anyone who tries to paint this as the "little farmer v huge multinational" is living in a fantasy land. The man wants to live in sqauler there are plenty of places where it wont have an impact on tens of thousands of jobs over the next 50 years.

A little clarity is needed.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/28/mysterious-undocumented-technology-hidden-intel-computer-chips-researchers-say-9044193/

"Can be spied on". But that's not the purpose. Nothing unethical at all.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The "farm" is an absolute desolate waste land at this stage.
    He farms some.excellent land. He may be old school but nothing wrong with that.
    Either way, still does not mean that his actions which are following the law to the letter are incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Are the Intel lads here now aswell?

Can't believe any of ye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

It quite simply never happened. If it did, staff would've gone to the media. Ordinary folk work in Intel who would be outraged if this had of happened.

And everyone who works in Intel, as does pretty much everyone living in Leixlip and Maynooth knows where he lives. So why would they point it out

It happened. To my absolute disgust. And if I thought it wouod help this mans Reids case I woild go through two attics and about eighty boxes of stuff until I found it - something that appalling - an absolute abuse of power and almost inciting violence on family - you keep that you do not just throw away. You seem to entirely downplay green, yellow, white and grey badgers fear of having their contracts cut short if they rock the boat - not everyone has a permenent (blue) badge . Intels short term contracts played havoc with peoples lives and fear or not paying a mortgage or not being renewed in the next cohort of contracts is a great silencer. I assume from your endless protests and denials that you must be one of those wanting to destroy this mans livliehood so you can keep yours. Shame on you. Their tactics now, as with this case before, would not be unfamiliar to North Korea or some money hungry dictatorship regime.
    As for the media -Im sure you still
    remember the numerical lies and blank silences for months by rte and most media stTions licenced under the BAI/government over the national outcry over water charges/taxes introduced by FG/labour. You dont actually think the media is either interested, impartial or not influenced by major players in their financial editorial decision making.

As regards this - different- case, Reid, I aplaud and fully support him. No company not matter how powerful, should be able to decide to destroy a mans livliehood or business or family just because they are wealthy and powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Did you even read the link?
    There's nothing of substance in it. Maybe. Perhaps. A source said. X believes.

Bollocks.

Just because something is posted online doesn't make it true. Pure conspiracy theory stuff.

And everyone who works in Intel, as does pretty much everyone living in Leixlip and Maynooth knows where he lives. So why would they point it out

It happened. To my absolute disgust. And if I thought it wouod help this mans Reids case I woild go through two attics and about eighty boxes of stuff until I found it - something that appalling - an absolute abuse of power and almost inciting violence on family - you keep that you do not just throw away. You seem to entirely downplay green, yellow, white and grey badgers fear of having their contracts cut short if they rock the boat - not everyone has a permenent (blue) badge . Intels short term contracts played havoc with peoples lives and fear or not paying a mortgage or not being renewed in the next cohort of contracts is a great silencer. I assume from your endless protests and denials that you must be one of those wanting to destroy this mans livliehood so you can keep yours. Shame on you. Their tactics now, as with this case before, would not be unfamiliar to North Korea or some money hungry dictatorship regime.
    As for the media -Im sure you still
    remember the numerical lies and blank silences for months by rte and most media stTions licenced under the BAI/government over the national outcry over water charges/taxes introduced by FG/labour. You dont actually think the media is either interested, impartial or not influenced by major players in their financial editorial decision making.

As regards this - different- case, Reid, I aplaud and fully support him. No company not matter how powerful, should be able to decide to destroy a mans livliehood or business or family just because they are wealthy and powerful.

if it was real of course it would , how could you think otherwise

but the fact is you made up a lie and cant prove anything because you made it up

• Advertisement

He farms some.excellent land. He may be old school but nothing wrong with that.
    Either way, still does not mean that his actions which are following the law to the letter are incorrect.

Thats not true.

Advertisement