Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thats not true.
    What's not true?

What's not true?

Anything negative about Intel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Bojill wrote: »
    He's not, they've changed the plan and no longer need his land.
    Construction started months ago.

Yes I counted 11 cranes on site today. They were working flat out last week and, as you said, have been for several weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Bio Mech wrote: »
    Yes I counted 11 cranes on site today. They were working flat out last week and, as you said, have been for several weeks.

Great stuff, maybe they can knock up an aul crucifix for Thomas to pose on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He farms some.excellent land. He may be old school but nothing wrong with that.
    Either way, still does not mean that his actions which are following the law to the letter are incorrect.

The land itself is great. The rusted car wrecks aren’t though. And the cattle don’t look healthy at all.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement

FFVII wrote: »
    Are the Intel lads here now aswell?

Can't believe any of ye.

Even the guys attacking intel?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Intel can hold Kildare to ransom now that HP and Zed are gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    That event was forty years ago.

Forty.

Sure why don't I post a story exposing the dangers of using children to clean chimneys as an argument against Intel.

There's a whole load of cranks in this thread full of made up nonsense.

But what has changed, he was painted as a bad framer, crack pot who was blocking jobs, the community turned it's back on him because the jobs became more important than the environment. By the way the problems in this case was that, MSD ran their incinerator at two low a temperature to save some money. Nobody was stopping then running the factor the problems could easily have been fixed it just came down to money.

Some on this tread are saying that we should allow Intel a free hand to do whatever they want once they keep employing Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

And North Kildare should protect one of its biggest employers.

And North Kildare should protect one of its biggest employers.
    I don't think anyone here is objecting to Intel expanding or hiring more people.
    However, if they submit an application knowing that Mr Reid (or anyone else) is likely to object (as is their legal right) then they should address every potential possibility.
    If they are not thorough in their applications then people will object!

On his own, Reid managed to get the High Court to agree with him about the issues within Intel's application when you can assume that Intel had a highly paid team of experts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

But what has changed, he was painted as a bad framer, crack pot who was blocking jobs, the community turned it's back on him because the jobs became more important than the environment. By the way the problems in this case was that, MSD ran their incinerator at two low a temperature to save some money. Nobody was stopping then running the factor the problems could easily have been fixed it just came down to money.

Some on this tread are saying that we should allow Intel a free hand to do whatever they want once they keep employing Irish people.

I saw the documentary about him, he wasn't "painted" a bad farmer.

He is one, his place is a tip

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I saw the documentary about him, he wasn't "painted" a bad farmer.

He is one, his place is a tip
    Whatever your view is of his farm, does that mean he has no right to use his absolute right to make an objection to a large development?
    If the objection is invalid then it correctly gets dismissed. If it is found to be valid then surely he has done the right thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Whatever your view is of his farm, does that mean he has no right to use his absolute right to make an objection to a large development?
    If the objection is invalid then it correctly gets dismissed. If it is found to be valid then surely he has done the right thing?

Our laws are too fond of entertaining crank objections, it's why athenry missed out

You clearly know absolutely nothing about the area or the community. Read is quite popular.

Read is certainly no environmentalist!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

You clearly know absolutely nothing about the area or the community. Read is quite popular.

Space hopper is, I think, referring to John Hanrahan's case against MSD in Tipperary 30 or 40 years ago, and the community's apparent reaction to him. I dont think he's saying that Reads neighbours in Leixlip have turned their backs on him.

Call me Al wrote: »
    Space hopper is, I think, referring to John Hanrahan's case against MSD in Tipperary 30 or 40 years ago, and the community's apparent reaction to him. I dont think he's saying that Reads neighbours in Leixlip have turned their backs on him.

Apologies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

But what has changed,

Forty years have changed. Most of the people involved in that have probably died of old age.

No one says they should have a free hand. We're saying they shouldn't be held up in endless appeals because one man isn't getting his way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Forty years have changed. Most of the people involved in that have probably died of old age.

No one says they should have a free hand. We're saying they shouldn't be held up in endless appeals because one man isn't getting his way.

they aren't being held up in endless appeals because one man isn't getting his way.

they are being held up because it seems that issues are arising with their application which an individual is bringing to the attention of the planning authorities for further investigation.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I wasn't refer to Read the farmer in Tip was put through absolute hell flic back and find the link

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

IDA tried to rob his land to sell it to intel hes a clever man and they made a documentary about this last year very interesting worth watching to clarify the information here. He is a proper irishman standing up to the giant human consumer that is the american corporation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Read is quite popular.
    With who?
    they are being held up because it seems that issues are arising with their application which an individual is bringing to the attention of the planning authorities for further investigation.
    Intel now have the land to build their newest fab, after rerouting the road. What issues do you refer to? Not seeing any new applications for the land north of the Part 8 rerouting as of yet.

IDA tried to rob his land to sell it to intel hes a clever man and they made a documentary about this last year very interesting worth watching to clarify the information here. He is a proper irishman standing up to the giant human consumer that is the american corporation.
    To be fair, Intel offered him money, he said no.
    And then the IDA overstepped their mark, so he's opposed every planning application that Intel has made since. As far as I can tell, they were all ignored, and any of Intels planning was granted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

the_syco wrote: »
    With who?

Intel now have the land to build their newest fab, after rerouting the road. What issues do you refer to? Not seeing any new applications for the land north of the Part 8 rerouting as of yet.

whatever issues that are at the heart of his latest appeal.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

With who?

People FROM Maynooth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

With who?

So far from the country being bankrupted and brought to it's knees, what actually happened was a single foreign company had to slightly modify their plans?

All those pearls clutched needlessly!:D:D

Had a look going past the site there. Looks like there is new building happening on the land Intel got (where the road used to be).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭HopsAndJumps

Had a look going past the site there. Looks like there is new building happening on the land Intel got (where the road used to be).

Yes work started 13 months ago.

Longer than that. I left in September 2018 and they'd started digging the hole before that.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

A few kidnappings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Brian? wrote: »
    Longer than that. I left in September 2018 and they'd started digging the hole before that.

What's this thread about so??

FFVII wrote: »
    What's this thread about so??

Intel apply for planning permission every couple of years for future developments. Reid objects to every one of them. Most are never built, or a revised planning is submitted for what is built. Reid objects to every single one, mostly on spurious grounds.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote: »
    The hole they're digging is for the new fab. Seems they want all fabs on the same level, so gotta dig down through what I believe to be rock to make the new site for the new fab.

=-=

The construction that I speak of is on the reclaimed land. Of course, they could be just putting whatever they're putting together there, before moving it elsewhere. But it's good that they are building.

=-=

It'll be interesting what Blaystore Developments will do with Collinstown House, now that it's out of view.

Good bit of talk around of all the vendors hiring again soon anyway. Good dosh for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Good bit of talk around of all the vendors hiring again soon anyway. Good dosh for a few years.

Dosh... haven't heard that word in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Intel owns no land, it's all owned by the IDA,

and your man is a crank just objecting for the sake of it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I probably ought to drop by there sometime. Lot seems to have happened since I left in Feb 2019..

Supreme Court refuses to hear appeal over €3.7bn Intel expansion

Leixlip farmer Thomas Reid failed to meet criteria for an appeal, court said

It looks as though Doofus's last stand is over; although maybe he'll go on hunger strike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Calling him a doofas is massively underestimating him. He is anything but. He is a very smart man, if rather ececntric. Whether he is a good or bad farmer or a good or bad hurler, or golfer, or alpaca wranglers is of no relevance whatsoever. He has every right to make a submission on a planning as many applications as he sees fit, no more or less right than any one of us.

He has single handedly, without the aid of a team of planning experts or lawyers, taken on Intel and the IDA in the courts and largely won. He has kept his land. It might be a mild setback or inconvenience for intel, but it is a total victory for Mr Reid. He had clearly self educated himself on plannning and evironmental law to the point where he could take the matter to the Supreme Court.

Is there any one of ye here who could achieve a similar feat?

Who is the doofas now?

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

It might be a mild setback or inconvenience for intel, but it is a total victory for Mr Reid.

Actually It is a victory for the people of Ireland because it shows that an individual can stand up for their rights against the might of government agencies and the multinational company they sought to assist. Don't get me wrong, I want Intel to continue in Leixlip but those seeking to advance the development can not and will not have the ability to undermine the constitutional rights of any person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The man is a hero. Took on a shower of chancers lying through their teeth trying to steal his property out from under him and beat them in the Highest Court of the land

• Advertisement

He's not a doofus, and I think it was good thing that he defeated the CPOs 7 years ago. I think he has the right to ownership of his land.

But I don't consider him a hero and I'm satisfied that he has lost now. He is continually trying to halt any Intel development, and our system has worked correctly.

The reason he defeated the CPO was that the IDA were trying to CPO his land for no actual official reason. They tried to pretend that they might just need it. They stuck to that line and eventually the SC found that it was a load of sh1te.

The IDA wanted to take the land (private property) in order to then hand it over to a private enterprise. But they couldn't admit to that. So they pressed ahead anyway and basically refused to admit what they were doing. They thought that they could bully and streamroll the "thick farmer". But he beat all the well paid teams of managers and consultants and legal teams.

Let's consider a slight extrapolation of what they wanted to do. Your neighbour Jim buys a second car and wants to widen his driveway and take in a piece of your front garden. He knows you won't consent to that. But the following Monday his buddy Tom from the Council arrives out and tells you that the Council need to CPO a 2m strip from your driveway for strategic reasons.

You know what's going on - they're going to take it from you and then hand it over to the neighbour. But the Council buddy Tom just lies to your face and says "nope. We know nothing about that. Ah my buddy Jim, no, sure I never met him. We need it for strategic reasons. You'll be hearing from our solicitors next week about it"

I'm unsure why you felt the need for the lengthy "explanation" at me there Donald.

I know exactly what happened.

And as I said I think it was right that he won against the CPOs.

But that case and this case are not the same thing.

It wasn't "at you". It was adding to yours. There are obviously other posters, as evidenced by posts above, who didn't understand what went on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Obviously you missed the first bout which he won by a knockout.

They made a bad enemy in Thomas Reid.

If only there were more like him.

You really think people dont know what went on? I think at this stage most on here are well aware as to Mr Reid's battle and victory against his CPOs. I'd have thought that by now the only misunderstanding (as evidenced repeatedly here) would be from people labouring under the impression that his recent case was still him fighting the IDA to keep his land and that Intel were still trying to take it from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The thread was revived after 2 years by someone who appeared not to know the history and made an ad hominem attack on TR.

I think a summary of the attempted heist was very much called for.

Well, it would appear that plenty don't understand what went on.

You might know, but there is no need to get triggered or annoyed if someone posts something that you already know.

Do you survey everyone before each post you make yourself in case "everyone knows" it already or not?

More like him? Who object to every development possible?

He was right to battle the CPO. Every other time he was wrong.

Who exactly made an enemy of him? Definitely not Intel, they weren’t the ones who CPO’d his land. But he objects to every development they request permission for. Developments that bring thousands of jobs.

they/them/theirs

It's beyond rational argument that he fully deserved to win the first court case that he took; the one against the IDA. But sadly, his victory went to his head and he started acting the clown. His subsequent cases have been petulant, childish, pointless and a complete waste of the Courts' time. Bear in mind that in recent years the higher Courts have consistently shown themselves to be strong supporters of the citizen against both the State and Big Business - hence, if there had been any merit in his case, it's very likely that he would have won in either the High or the Supreme Court, or in both. But he didn't. QED

Incidentally, it's pretty obvious that you completely missed the fact that this thread isn't about "the first bout" as you describe it. And the reason that it's been inactive for two years is because that's how long it took his Supreme Court verdict to issue. So next time, instead of trying to be smart (which you're clearly not), let's see a bit more thought and a lot less nonsensical kneejerking. You probably have the ability - but only if you try really hard.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
Advertisement