Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ethernet over coaxial cables?

• 07-03-2019 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

In my home thick walls block wifi signal from the internet router to the other rooms.

Powerline adapters significantly reduce the internet speed at the receiving end, from about 100 Mbps to 18 Mbps. I believe because the wiring arrangement sends the Powerline signal through a fuse box before sending it to the receiving unit (the router is in a rear extension).

To avoid the hassle of running Cat6 cable through the building I was considering taking advantage of a pre-existing coaxial cable running from the rear extension to the rest of the rooms. It seems that this is a family of technology called EoC and the standard is MOCA. Examples of adapters for sale online seem expensive for reputable well reviewed units (apx €130+).

Eg
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorola-Adapter-Ethernet-Bonded-MM1000/dp/B07C38WBWZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?keywords=Ethernet+coax&qid=1551913392&refinements=p_72%3A419153031&rnid=419152031&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Does anybody have any experience of using such technology or would i be better off biting the bullet and going to the bother of installing cat 6 cable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Powerline adapters significantly reduce the internet speed at the receiving end, from about 100 Mbps to 18 Mbps. I believe because the wiring arrangement sends the Powerline signal through a fuse box before sending it to the receiving unit (the router is in a rear extension).
    What powerline adapters are you using?
    To avoid the hassle of running Cat6 cable through the building I was considering taking advantage of a pre-existing coaxial cable running from the rear extension to the rest of the rooms. It seems that this is a family of technology called EoC and the standard is MOCA. Examples of adapters for sale online seem expensive for reputable well reviewed units (apx €130+).
    You'd need to look at the splitters. Some of the cheap splitters may cause connection issues. I found the 5Mhz-1000Mhz splitters to be good, but not all of the splitters are for data; some are for data and cable.

IMO, installing ethernet would be the better idea; less things to go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭65535

What kind of Co-Ax do you have - if it is the old cheap brown covered type then I would advise against using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The adapters are TP Link AV200 Wireless N 150 Mbps.

The Co-ax is white cable that a previous resident had a man-in-a-van type operator install to connect a FTA dish on the exterior wall of the rear extension (where it enters the house) to the rest of the rooms. One cable leads into the rear extension and one leads to the front room. It was installed about 5-10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

Wow - it's cool to see these techniques are still in use - back in the day this was called 10BaseT thinnet (albeit it used 50ohm coax rather than 75ohm as installed for TV if I remember correctly). It was really set up for ethernet being a bus network, not hub to spoke.

I say go for it but be pragmatic about speeds - unless you specify expensive cable, chances are man-in-white-van lobbed in low grade stuff which might be alright for the relatively low bandwidth needs of TV.
    In saying that, I get 100mbps internet from an ISP over similar cable so your mileage may vary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Dardania wrote: »
    Wow - it's cool to see these techniques are still in use - back in the day this was called 10BaseT thinnet (albeit it used 50ohm coax rather than 75ohm as installed for TV if I remember correctly). It was really set up for ethernet being a bus network, not hub to spoke.

I say go for it but be pragmatic about speeds - unless you specify expensive cable, chances are man-in-white-van lobbed in low grade stuff which might be alright for the relatively low bandwidth needs of TV.
    In saying that, I get 100mbps internet from an ISP over similar cable so your mileage may vary

***BASE-T -- T for "twisted"

10BASE-2 Thinwire coax
    10BASE-5 Thickwire coax

Device operate on MoCA, as name indicate, fairly new tech(since 2006)

https://www.actiontec.com/products/home-networking/ecb6200/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

***BASE-T -- T for "twisted"

10BASE-2 Thinwire coax
    10BASE-5 Thickwire coax

Device operate on MoCA, as name indicate, fairly new tech(since 2006)

https://www.actiontec.com/products/home-networking/ecb6200/

Interesting link - it can coexist with DOCSIS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Thanks for all the responses people!

On balance I'm inclined to pursue the Cat6 option as I have no guarantees that the existing co-axial cable will be adequate and in good consition, the MOCA adapters seem expensive and the splitters may also have to be upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Thanks for all the responses people!

On balance I'm inclined to pursue the Cat6 option as I have no guarantees that the existing co-axial cable will be adequate and in good consition, the MOCA adapters seem expensive and the splitters may also have to be upgraded.
    You'll thank yourself in years to come.

Advertisement