Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hot take: Multiculturalism is good

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭sk8erboii

No you’re not. Your defining it incorrectly to include free trade, and different classes. And movies.

That’s precisely the problem.

Classes are not ethnographic categories. Nationalities are. So one thing right there.

In general nobody talked about multicultural states prior to modern patterns of migration. Even the US was described as a melting pot, which as I have said before (and the wiki confirmed) isn’t the same thing.

This form of language by you is of course a verbal trick. The opposite of multiculturalism isn’t insular, and that word has many implied meanings including a resistance to trade, autarky, or just simply being an island. Is it possible to be insular, to have one dominant culture and little immigration, while engaging in trade and some cultural interchange with the rest of the world - sure japan does that.

That's a lot of mental gymnastics to just say you hate brown people man.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

sk8erboii wrote: »
    Saudi arabia? The one that conducts global trade, using american capitalist values and imports people from all over the world (sociologists, nurses, scientists, computer experts etc) to compensate for its lack of development in these areas?

Saudi is pretty insular, but still participates in MC. Bad example.

How is it a bad example when it's them who is running the show?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 Sunny88

Saudi arabia? The one that conducts global trade, using american capitalist values and imports people from all over the world (sociologists, nurses, scientists, computer experts etc) to compensate for its lack of development in these areas?

Saudi is pretty insular, but still participates in MC. Bad example.

Ask the people who went to the Bataclan concert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Mate I've literally told you ten times, every nation has participated in multiculturalism. I've answer your troll question.But you can never ever answer this: What insular nations are successful?

types on american laptop

speaks English

tips Italian fedora

Swings Japanese katana

Sips on german beer

says hi to polish co worker

goes to catholic church to worship middle eastern god

drives french car

espouses right wing italian rhetoric

Those comments really are raving lol. So nope again. You've again failed to answer the question asked. Not engaging further questions until you do so. Thanks.

Ps look up what trade and commerce means in your yet to be purchased dictionary - it really will help ok ...

gozunda wrote: »
    Those comments really are raving lol. So nope again. You've again failed to answer the question asked. Not engaging further until you do so. Thanks.

I've answered the question 20 times mate. You just wont accept it lol

If Ireland was insular we'd be poor and starving.

In this thread: People wont admit they just dont like brown people and try to tell you America isn't multicultural and that there are no multicultural nations despite the entire world being born on the movement of people since the beginning of prehistory.

I'm actually laughing lads. Did you all think people stayed in their towns from birth to death until recently or what?

I've answered the question 20 times mate*. You just wont accept it lolIf Ireland was insular we'd be poor and starving.

Ok just because understanding can sometimes be hard. You repeating the same rubbish doesn't answer the question asked btw and yes you've failed to answer and given no figures whatsoever as was requested.

But there you go ...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

* Edit: I'm sorry not only do you not know how to use a dictionary - you can't count lol. In your very last post you said -
    Mate I've literally told you ten times,
    In this post that's now gone to 20! I think you definitely need to work on basic comprehension and mathematics there lol...

Ok just because understanding can sometimes be hard. You repeating the same rubbish doesn't answer the question asked btw and yes you've failed to answer and given no figures whatsoever as was requested.

But there you go ...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You asked ‘name one successful multicultural nation’

I answered: ‘every nation is Multicultural and/or has benefited from multiculturalism’

How is this difficult to understand?

EDIT: Yikes. Now i see youre trolling. In either case im off to bed. Gonna hit the town tomorrow with my friends from other countries. Night

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Sunny88 wrote: »
    But why are low iq irish plebs so racist against pakistani grooming gangs

Why dont racists start threads bashing polish and swiss and aussies

Its so inconsistent

Is that you sk8rboii?

• Advertisement

You asked ‘name one successful multicultural nation’

I answered: ‘every nation is Multicultural and/or has benefited from multiculturalism’

How is this difficult to understand?

Nope. Wrong. Lol.

You said.
    "The vast majority of people accept multiculturalism as a net positive lad"

I asked

"Who do? Where? Please provide accurate figures to show that is so."

Put down the shovel and stop digging ...

Bye ...

In this thread: People wont admit they just dont like brown people and try to tell you America isn't multicultural and that there are no multicultural nations despite the entire world being born on the movement of people since the beginning of prehistory.

I'm actually laughing lads. Did you all think people stayed in their towns from birth to death until recently or what?

That hasn't always resulted in the best result Sk8. Do you read any history whatsoever? Genuine question now, not being aggressive or smart. People moved during the $hitshow of the crusades and we're still living with that mess after it, for example.

buried wrote: »
    That hasn't always resulted in the best result Sk8. Do you read any history whatsoever? Genuine question now, not being aggressive or smart. People moved during the $hitshow of the crusades and we're still living with that mess after it, for example.

Its the default state of humanity lad for better or for worse. For example europe was colonized three or four times in prehistory, each time the ‘indigenous’ population were supplanted violently. But also each time, europe evolved socially and technologically. Mass migration is a huge catalyst for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Jmsg

It's a very sad state of affairs when literally the only person who can (pretend to) engage in a dialogue offering an argument in favor of such an eminent political matter of our times broadly effecting life in our country - multiculturalism - is someone trolling.

Its the default state of humanity lad for better or for worse. For example europe was colonized three or four times in prehistory, each time the ‘indigenous’ population were supplanted violently. But also each time, europe evolved socially and technologically. Mass migration is a huge catalyst for sure

The middle east got supplanted violently during the crusades and that part of the world ended up totally f**ked. And they did, up until that episode, that part of the world was the apex of forward pushing culture in the likes of science and mathematics. You can't just blindly say this sort of thing has always been done without a cause or effect, which it seems to me, and a lot of other posters here, you seem to want to do, y'know?

Jmsg wrote: »
    It's a very sad state of affairs when literally the only person who can (pretend to) engage in a dialogue offering an argument in favor of such an eminent political matter of our times broadly effecting life in our country - multiculturalism - is someone trolling.

lol, fair point, I don't think they is though, but if they is that could be how bat$hit lunatic things have become

• Advertisement

Is that you sk8rboii?

No
    My point was if Irish are so insular and xenophobic shouldnt we be racist against all foreigners
    Where are the threads about the Germans and the Filipinos and the Mongolians

No
    My point was if Irish are so insular and xenophobic shouldnt we be racist against all foreigners
    Where are the threads about the Germans and the Filipinos and the Mongolians

Those darn Mongolians and their hairy yaks! Nice yurts though .... :D

buried wrote: »
    lol, fair point, I don't think they is though, but if they is that could be how bat$hit lunatic things have become

Trolls feed off subverting dominant viewpoints, so said poster belonging to said category would in fact likely be a good sign politically for Irish people.

19 pages because an OP doesn't understand the meaning of a word. Bravo AH.

19 pages because an OP doesn't understand the meaning of a word. Bravo AH.
    Its good that youth is idealistic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

whats going on?

Today's youth are simply naive. They unquestionably lap up the globalist scheme as "progressive" and true and good and right. But there's a real sense in which the state of the current generation is the fault of the previous one who were the "revolutionaries", that is against their parents' traditional influence and values. As you can't negate a negation, this situation necessitated that no such revolutionary impulse was left harnessable in the succeeding stock resulting in their world (ours currently) being defined purely by nihilism and materialism.

By 23, I'd imagine a person should be capable of disentangling the different types of multiculturalism being talked about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

People wont admit they just dont like brown people

There's that magic phrase you only ever see uttered by the likes of you. Brown people. You're obsessed with it. Would be interesting to see what a search of that term against your name would bring up.

What do you even mean by it? I think I've seen you use it in relation to black people in movies. I've certainly seen you inferring that it equates to Muslims, who are not a race. Brown is used to describe Latinos and Hispanics also so your description is puzzling at best.

The default state of dogs and humans is to have fleas. Thankfully that is no longer the case.

It is also true that in Europe in the last couple of decades at least, we seem to have evolved past the need for the destruction of cultures by means of mass migrations and violence.

Talking of 'violent supplatings'(sic) and looking back at history. The (Western) Roman empire was invaded and destroyed by barbarians in the fifth century. Its fall marked the death knell of then known education and literacy, technology, organised economics and not least, the rule of written law within Europe.

The 'dark ages' which followed were dark not only the barbarians brought civilisation to its knees but because life was often nasty, brutish and short.

Socially and technologically Europe descended into chaos for a thousand years after that particular violent 'supplanting' ....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The default state of dogs and humans is to have fleas. Thankfully that is no longer the case.

It is also true that in Europe in the last couple of decades at least, we seem to have evolved past the need for the destruction of cultures by means of mass migrations and violence.

Talking of 'violent supplatings'(sic) and looking back at history. The Roman empire was invaded and destroyed by barbarians in the fifth century. Its fall marked the death knell of education and literacy, technology, organised economics and not least, the rule of written law.

The 'dark ages' which followed were dark not only the barbarians brought civilisation to its knees but because life became nasty, brutish and short.

Socially and technologically Europe descended into chaos for a thousand years after that particular violent 'supplanting' ....

Why do people always want to bring up the Romans? They wiped out dozens of cultures to impose their own version of standardisation.. The same thing that people seem to be so afraid of happening nowadays. Nor were they the only source of high level culture, our very own country is prove of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tryinlanister

agreed

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The 'dark ages' which followed were dark not only the barbarians brought civilisation to its knees but because life became nasty, brutish and short.

Socially and technologically Europe descended into the pits of hell for a thousand years after that particular violent 'supplanting' ....
    Actually.... it didn't G. The "Dark ages" as an idea is more about 18th and 19th century classicists lamenting the fall of "their" Rome(or their idea of it) and labelling the gap between that fall and the Renaissance as "dark". It's mostly bollocks. Rome died after a long illness, one mostly self inflicted. In its wake for about a century things went a bit south in Western Europe alright(the eastern empire Roma Nova kept going into the 14th century). However that started to change pretty rapidly. The Roman church continued on as a de facto empire until the Reformation. By the time Charlemagne rocked up Western Europe was doing pretty well. Food production was higher than in Rome for example. Consider this; Byzantium was Rome and how more advanced did they become? The newly born Islamic empire was certainly advanced in the early days, yet the "dark ages" primitive Europeans were able to stop their empire building in Europe and they only got as far as Spain(and didn't last too long there).

The best thing to happen to Europe was the rise of Rome. And the fall of Rome. Otherwise we'd have been like China, centralised, inward looking, traditionalist, with the occasional burst of innovation, but mostly stagnant.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nor were they the only source of high level culture, our very own country is prove of that
    And how do we know of our contemporaneous culture? Because men worshipping a Roman god using an imported system of recording wrote them down in the Roman language(mostly). And what's so wrong about standardisation? Cultures aren't equal. Some are better than others. When a better one comes along it mostly keeps the best(and the prettiest) of the old culture and leaves the rest to dusty books for academics to read.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    And how do we know of our contemporaneous culture? Because men worshipping a Roman god using an imported system of recording wrote them down in the Roman language(mostly).

And what's so wrong about standardisation? Cultures aren't equal. Some are better than others. When a better one comes along it mostly keeps the best(and the prettiest) of the old culture and leaves the rest to dusty books for academics to read.
    But if we'd got the actual Romans rather than just their god we wouldn't know very much about it at all, which is why I find it odd that it's always that one side of the debate who lament the fall of the Empire to the barbarians. Should they not be cursing the foundation of the Empire? To me it just seems like it makes a handy political idea of us versus the invaders, that you better not think too much about

Don't ask me, I am not the one against it in this thread (at least)
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109616563&postcount=100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/sex-education-school-birmingham-homophobic-graffiti-lgbt-a8814901.html
    Parents have been demonstrating against the school’s No Outsiders programme, which includes teaching about LGBT+ relationships.

A developing story in the UK is that a group of Muslim parents withdrew their kids from a state school in protest at a new subject which aims to promote equality for all including homosexuals, which not surprisingly given that 50% of Muslims in the UK think homosexuality should be a criminal offense, appears to be their main gripe with it. It is not a Muslim school but a schools where the vast majority of pupils are Muslim.

Putting aside completely whether this subject should be taught at all in any school, the issue is that because the school is 99% Muslim a mass walkout and protest was possible. I believe the school has withdrawn the subject altogether to appease them. Ordinarily one would feel as with the issue of religious instruction in schools here, parents would have a right to withdraw their kids from that particular lesson but because of their numbers they have succeeded in having the subject withdrawn from the curriculum altogether.

Well I suppose this is a great example of why Muslims choose to live in ghettoized areas as it gives them power to get what they want according to their religion beliefs. The irony though of Muslims complaining about an equality lesson when they are screaming Islamaphobia left right and center. Equality for Muslims but who cares about anyones eles's equality.

Sadly I think these are the type of things that are likely to increase as devout Muslims continue to assert themselves in western society.

Why do people always want to bring up the Romans? They wiped out dozens of cultures to impose their own version of standardisation.. The same thing that people seem to be so afraid of happening nowadays. Nor were they the only source of high level culture, our very own country is prove of that

Because the OP brought up violent supplantings and Europe. It was also recognised as one of the last great widespread civilised periods before the modern era....

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Omackeral wrote: »
    There's that magic phrase you only ever see uttered by the likes of you. Brown people. You're obsessed with it. Would be interesting to see what a search of that term against your name would bring up.

What do you even mean by it? I think I've seen you use it in relation to black people in movies. I've certainly seen you inferring that it equates to Muslims, who are not a race. Brown is used to describe Latinos and Hispanics also so your description is puzzling at best.

There used to be another idiot hill16bhoy on boards that was very fond of that phrase too. I think we are seeing the re-incarnation.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually.... it didn't G. The "Dark ages" as an idea is more about 18th and 19th century classicists lamenting the fall of "their" Rome(or their idea of it) and labelling the gap between that fall and the Renaissance as "dark". It's mostly bollocks. Rome died after a long illness, one mostly self inflicted. In its wake for about a century things went a bit south in Western Europe alright(the eastern empire Roma Nova kept going into the 14th century). However that started to change pretty rapidly. The Roman church continued on as a de facto empire until the Reformation. By the time Charlemagne rocked up Western Europe was doing pretty well. Food production was higher than in Rome for example. Consider this; Byzantium was Rome and how more advanced did they become? The newly born Islamic empire was certainly advanced in the early days, yet the "dark ages" primitive Europeans were able to stop their empire building in Europe and they only got as far as Spain(and didn't last too long there).
    The best thing to happen to Europe was the rise of Rome. And the fall of Rome. Otherwise we'd have been like China, centralised, inward looking, traditionalist, with the occasional burst of innovation, but mostly stagnant.

Wibbs respectfully I disagree. The dark ages has been legitimately recognised as a period in which Europe after the fall of the Western Roman Empire lost most of its learning and much of its culture. What the Roman church brought in was organised repression and a period in which Europe stagnated under religous dogma for a over millennia. Howevever that's as far I am going here with a discussion of Rome et al - as we would need to start a thread all for itself for that particular discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

In and of itself, multiculturalism is not that important, what matters is the circumstances in which it happens. During WWII there was quite a bit of multiculturalism in Europe as populations were moved about and countries were invaded by various armies. The diamond bonanza in South Africa in the late 19th century saw an influx of migrants to that part of the world.

When the USA said send us your poor and huddled masses, they had a thriving economy with real potential for more growth.

Ireland today is a welfare state with a national debt of 200 billion euro and a stratospheric minimum wage by global standards. Under the circumstances, I think the migrants who come here will ultimately regret their decision. Should we let them in? Who cares, Ireland has been mismanaged and misdirected to the point that it doesn`t really matter what we do, the country is facing a very bleak future in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

seamus wrote: »
    And over longer timescales the entire human race will likely be some form of tanned colour, with some minor variances here and there. Pure white or black people will be rare occurrences and will be highly desired as attractive.

But you're talking many generations. By the time Europe is no longer majority white, our great-great-great-great-grandkids will be long in their graves.

And it will happen not by immigration, but through simple intermarrying.

It's a complete Boogeyman for xenophobes.

Great diversity there so. How very boring and bland. Upside no rascism although there probable be something else by then

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/sex-education-school-birmingham-homophobic-graffiti-lgbt-a8814901.html

A developing story in the UK is that a group of Muslim parents withdrew their kids from a state school in protest at a new subject which aims to promote equality for all including homosexuals, which not surprisingly given that 50% of Muslims in the UK think homosexuality should be a criminal offense, appears to be their main gripe with it. It is not a Muslim school but a schools where the vast majority of pupils are Muslim.

Putting aside completely whether this subject should be taught at all in any school, the issue is that because the school is 99% Muslim a mass walkout and protest was possible. I believe the school has withdrawn the subject altogether to appease them. Ordinarily one would feel as with the issue of religious instruction in schools here, parents would have a right to withdraw their kids from that particular lesson but because of their numbers they have succeeded in having the subject withdrawn from the curriculum altogether.

Well I suppose this is a great example of why Muslims choose to live in ghettoized areas as it gives them power to get what they want according to their religion beliefs. The irony though of Muslims complaining about an equality lesson when they are screaming Islamaphobia left right and center. Equality for Muslims but who cares about anyones eles's equality.

Sadly I think these are the type of things that are likely to increase as devout Muslims continue to assert themselves in western society.
    And here we have a gold plated reason why "multiculturalism" does not work in the real world, people migrating from a country with one culture to another country with a completely different culture, usually bring their culture with them. In theory, multiculturalism works when elements of each (imported) culture are retained and others are dropped to ensure harmony with the native culture. This clearly isn't the case here, where a group of Muslims are trying to force a change on the local community school, as they have already done to the local community by replacing the original inhabitants. This is not multiculturalism, it is culture invasion and replacement.

OK granted, many people see the LGBT lifestyle as invasive as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

I agree for the most part that multiculturalism is good, we’ve been part of it ourselves, when we were on our knees we flocked to better opportunities and a more advanced society, it keeps the human race moving forward and that cycle will repeat until the end of time, people from poorer places with less opportunities will flock to better opportunities, it’s a human condition rather something that originates from a particular country, the downside is when you have people that flock to countries with completely different values to the country they move to, basically completely incompatible, it’s not something that can really be spoken about in the open but it’s the reality, for instance take homosexuality, this country along with many western countries have equal rights for gay people etc and rightfully so however how is that squared with someone that comes to these shores who is raised to believe that homosexuality is evil and that one should be executed for being gay which happens quite a bit in parts of the world, it’s an uncomfortable truth and it’s ironic that an awful lot of people who push multiculturalism are gay yet the people they are trying to help privately think they are an abomination,it’s a weird contradiction. The catholic church which i am no fan of are the number 1 target of lgbtq groups here yet I often think they’re not the ones you need to be worrying about.

And here we have a gold plated reason why "multiculturalism" does not work in the real world, people migrating from a country with one culture to another country with a completely different culture, usually bring their culture with them. In theory, multiculturalism works when elements of each (imported) culture are retained and others are dropped to ensure harmony with the native culture. This clearly isn't the case here, where a group of Muslims are trying to force a change on the local community school, as they have already done to the local community by replacing the original inhabitants. This is not multiculturalism, it is culture invasion and replacement.

OK granted, many people see the LGBT lifestyle as invasive as well.
    My opinion is there has to be a fundamental basis of human rights, that applies to everyone equally and anything that is incompatible with it is illegal, no matter what culture or country it is. It's the only way I've found to be consistent..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Auntie Semite

AllForIt wrote: »

This is only just beginning and will probably spread.
    Will be interesting to see how O'Gorman, Mullally et al react

Also anyone could've seen this coming from miles away.

When looking at historic migrations, it is important to remember that in most cases they were triggered by an area of the planet becoming overcrowded and resulting in local conflicts over resources.
    The losers either died or migrated elsewhere to restart their lives, if there was a native population in the area that they migrated to then they either integrated, supplanted or were driven back by the natives.
    You can look all over the world and see examples of these types of past migrations almost everywhere, but generally you where the populations have been supplanted and the native populations driven to the poorer areas of the country. The US and Israel are examples of where the migrants (generally) integrated with each other while supplanting the previous inhabitants.

The way I see it, the current waves of migration into Europe from the south is another supplanting of culture in progress, unlike the migration from the east where integration is working far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Sk8erboii has named himself after how he imagines a cool American teen would be. He speaks in Americanised language, berating himself and his own culture. Foolishly, this wannabe American has decided that the Irish, a nation that bravely fought for their rights over thousands of years, a nation that were oppressed, downtrodden and vilified, is on the wrong side of all arguments.

Sk8erboii, with your ridiculous name, hear this. My ancestors, up until my fathers genetation, were very poor. They worked day and night to ensure better days for people like me and you. If you really cant take any pride in their achievements in making us a better country then I feel very sorry for you.

As late a phase of historical decadence this now cultural wasteland is in it's dissolving in all quarters at a most alarming rate leaving the future an utterly unthinkable prospect. When the fully fledged collapse invariably comes, we'll be in, to say the utmost least, an unprepared state to deal with the situation. This is the legacy we are all leaving our children, which factor is key in consideration as to why there is the degree of denial of the reality of our current situation by the mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Jmsg wrote: »
    As late a phase of historical decadence this now cultural wasteland is in it's dissolving in all quarters at a most alarming rate leaving the future an utterly unthinkable prospect. When the fully fledged collapse invariably comes, we'll be in, to say the utmost least, an unprepared state to deal with the situation. This is the legacy we are all leaving our children, which factor is key in consideration as to why there is the degree of denial of the reality of our current situation by the mass.

It was 1999 I knew a tree surgeon who was kneeling down sharpening his chainsaw, he was really into history.

He'd be very random with what he'd say, he was talking to me about the roman empire and its decadence. He said that the roman empire fcked itself out of existence and at the rate society is going it'll be like Rome in around 50 year's time.

I think he was onto something, lust was another topic of his.
    I was gloating about my drinking and how I was out partying every weekend and pissing my money away, sleeping around like guys and women did in their 20's.
    He could see the effect my hedonistic lifestyle was having on me, but I couldn't see it.
    Until in 2003 I had enough of the hooch, turned my back on it, still off it.

He was a bit of a hermit, living alone in an old gate lodge beside a wood.
    He'd light a rollie and sit there thinking away in silence, then tell me how people have lost the run of themselves and their self respect.

Now im starting to be a bit like him, contemplating and taking stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I actually pity you if those are the kinds of thoughts going through your head.
    Not trying to be demeaning but I cant imagine a high functioning member of society to have that at the forefront of their minds.

If you are disadvantaged im very sorry. I hope you find a way out.

I got as far as this post and this thread became clear.

It's not a discussion that the OP wants, it's validation, and as with so many others these days, he can't handle dissenting views (some of which have been very well explained) without resorting to insulting tripe like the above - essentially, if you're not on board with my message, you must be an uneducated, unemployed (or certainly lower class) fool :rolleyes:

Well OP, I'm 20 years older than you, grew up in Santry/Coolock with 3 years in Holland in there too, went to college, worked hard, and now run an IT department in a multinational so there's my background for you. I have an almost 7 year old son, and I worry greatly about the Ireland/Europe he'll find himself in when he's your age, never mind mine.

Attitudes like yours are preventing this country from having a much needed discussion about how "multiculturalism" is affecting Ireland and just what we can and should do going forward.
    It's not all been a success story of hard working immigrants arriving and contributing positively to our economy, society and culture despite what the likes of RTE and Twitter may have told you, nor is it "racist" or "xenophobic" to identify the problems and talk about them.

Multiculturalism and immigration can and should be a positive benefit to our country, but it should be on OUR terms (and regardless of how this fits in with European/German policy on the subject). The reality is that we're a small island nation on the edge of Europe with a history of cultural division, violence and death as it is without taking on even more.

Regardless of what you see Leo and European heads saying at the moment, we're insignificant to the larger European plan/agenda except as a thorn to some of the bigger nations because of our FDI/Corporation tax policies, and as stick to beat the UK with at the moment over Brexit. Once the dust finally settles, we'll see just how irrelevant we are in the New Europe.

This is our country and our future that is being talked about, and yet we don't even have a proper voice at the table because people like you OP are busy attacking anyone and anything that doesn't fit with what ultimately probably isn't even your own opinion on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

It's not a discussion that the OP wants, it's validation, and as with so many others these days, he can't handle dissenting views (some of which have been very well explained) without resorting to insulting tripe like the above - essentially, if you're not on board with my message, you must be an uneducated, unemployed (or certainly lower class) fool :rolleyes:

After putting that poster on ignore and advising others to do similarly, he immediately called me a racist. He hurled all types of abuse at other posters who wanted to debate his views and of course his retort was they were all alt-right, Nazi's, or didn't like brown people. His abuse of other posters was allowed unfettered.

Here's the interesting point about this thread. I can guarantee you that if someone who had a differing mindset than the OP on this thread (e.g. a poster who wanted a reasonable and fair discussion about multiculturalism in Ireland), started this thread, the mods would lock it after a few posts. Or they would move it to Politics Cafe with a note saying that PC is a very busy forum, so it may take a while for the thread to be re-opened, if at all. One AH mod actually said that recently when he moved a social issue thread. I took a look at PC after he made that ludicrous comment and there were zero new posts on PC for the day, and only a few for the previous day. An obvious disingenuous effort by that mod to stifle a fair debate on social issue hot topics. Fair = more than one view allowed.

It is unfortunate that mod bias is still alive on AH and that is unfortunate. It is actually losing money for the boards business owners. There would a good deal more paid subscribers, click-through revenue etc. for boards if AH modding reflected the majority of posters who post on here, and not the tiny minority who view debating social topics such as multiculturalism, non-EU migration etc. as racist/bigoted. The usual disclaimer notes that not all AH mods are like that.

Unfortunately, this is a reflection of the Irish political system and the media in Ireland, where politicians and the media favour the minority virtue signalers versus the view of the overwhelming majority of people in the country. The silent majority will soon have a day of reckoning; it's inevitable, and our voices will eventually be heard, and the nonsense liberal policies forced on the working/contributing members of our society will be consigned to history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Multiculturalism; Good
    Ghettoisation/Segregation; Bad

Multiculturalism; Good
    Ghettoisation/Segregation; Bad
    The first part is a big debate, mainly on what the definition involved is, the second? What if people actually want and seek to segregate themselves along group affiliations? This happens in every single modern "multicultural" western society. Understandably, as people like to be around people and culture that is familiar. Hell, just look at how many go on foreign holidays and seek out the familiar in "Irish" bars that serve "Irish" food. The British do it, the French, the Germans etc. How do you propose to engineer that out of basic low level human nature?

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

Well OP, I'm 20 years older than you, grew up in Santry/Coolock with 3 years in Holland in there too, went to college, worked hard, and now run an IT department in a multinational so there's my background for you. I have an almost 7 year old son, and I worry greatly about the Ireland/Europe he'll find himself in when he's your age, never mind mine.

Attitudes like yours are preventing this country from having a much needed discussion about how "multiculturalism" is affecting Ireland and just what we can and should do going forward.
    It's not all been a success story of hard working immigrants arriving and contributing positively to our economy, society and culture despite what the likes of RTE and Twitter may have told you, nor is it "racist" or "xenophobic" to identify the problems and talk about them.

Multiculturalism and immigration can and should be a positive benefit to our country, but it should be on OUR terms (and regardless of how this fits in with European/German policy on the subject). The reality is that we're a small island nation on the edge of Europe with a history of cultural division, violence and death as it is without taking on even more.

Regardless of what you see Leo and European heads saying at the moment, we're insignificant to the larger European plan/agenda except as a thorn to some of the bigger nations because of our FDI/Corporation tax policies, and as stick to beat the UK with at the moment over Brexit. Once the dust finally settles, we'll see just how irrelevant we are in the New Europe.

This is our country and our future that is being talked about, and yet we don't even have a proper voice at the table because people like you OP are busy attacking anyone and anything that doesn't fit with what ultimately probably isn't even your own opinion on the matter.

Nice strawman there lad. But youre telling me that im supposed to ‘give voice’ to someone who thinks the kalergi plan is real.

And i listen to real people in real life who voice real concerns (lawbreakers, terrorists, segregation and social conflict) not to paranoid ‘mass genocide of white catholics’ narrative.

Again, nice strawman and rhetoric.

Sk8erboii has named himself after how he imagines a cool American teen would be. He speaks in Americanised language, berating himself and his own culture. Foolishly, this wannabe American has decided that the Irish, a nation that bravely fought for their rights over thousands of years, a nation that were oppressed, downtrodden and vilified, is on the wrong side of all arguments.

Sk8erboii, with your ridiculous name, hear this. My ancestors, up until my fathers genetation, were very poor. They worked day and night to ensure better days for people like me and you. If you really cant take any pride in their achievements in making us a better country then I feel very sorry for you.

LOOOOL im actually cringing that somebody thought of this and wrote it out.

Listen guy, as much as you wanna diagnose usernames on boards.ie you will never be a psychologist. you’re not even able to analyze your own words

Try going on a rant about your ‘ancestors’, ‘native culture’ in real life and you’ll get about as much respect as that irexit conference.

But i get it, boards is a safe space for you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement